• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC/OC and Travel

armedwalleye

imported post

Hello!

Sometime lurker and first time poster. Pretty green as well. Finally decided to move on the issue and am currently waiting for THE CARD to come in the mail. As a result, lots of newbie questions, so go easy on me.

Been thinking for a while about a cr trip and plan to carry on the trip and rather than post in each state thought this might be a netter way to ask questions re: travel, rights in various states, etc. Planning on a trip from MN to WI, IL, KY, TN, MO, IA and back home.

While I think I've got a pretty good handle on MN law, looking for some guidance in these other states, while trying to avoid debate on OC vs CC and political merits/drawbacks. Please offer your thoughts on the following questions for the states I'm traveling through:

1. OC legal yes/no

2. CC legalyes/no

3. Bars/restaurants yes/no

4. Castle doctrine yes/no

5. OC in a vehicle yes/no

6. CC in a vehicle yes/no

Thanks for your assistance and inputs. Hope I'm not asking you to produce too much info, but want a safe trip.

Also, any particulars about Memphis would be appreciated.

MKEgal

imported post

armedwalleye wrote:
Planning on a trip from MN to WI, IL, KY, TN, MO, IA and back home.

1. OC legal yes/no
2. CC legalyes/no
I'll quote from my 2010 copy of "the Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the 50 States",
but you should go to the Buckeye Firearms Association website & buy one. It's $18, and
has LOTS of useful information.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Gun-Stuff-Mall
It doesn't list info for bars & restaurants; I only answered WI because I live here.

WI
1. OC legal yes
2. CC legalno
3. Barsno
restaurants yes - no alcohol served
4. Castle doctrine no
5. OC in a vehicle no
6. CC in a vehicle no
Must be "unloaded, encased & out of reach" - no bullet in the chamber or in the magazine
attached to the gun.

IL
1. OC legal no
2. CC legalno
3. Bars/restaurants ?
4. Castle doctrine no
5. OC in a vehicle no
6. CC in a vehicle no
Must be unloaded, encased &in trunk

KY
1. OC legal yes
2. CC legalyes - with a license from any state
3. Bars/restaurants ?
4. Castle doctrine yes
5. OC in a vehicle yes
6. CC in a vehicle no - except that a handgun may be in glovebox

TN
1. OC legal no - must have permit
2. CC legalyes- with a license from any state
3. Bars/restaurants ?
4. Castle doctrine yes
5. OC in a vehicle yes - unloaded & in plain view
6. CC in a vehicle no - kept in gun cases

MO
1. OC legal yes, though cities may prohibit it
3. Bars/restaurants ?
4. Castle doctrine yes
5. OC in a vehicle ?
6. CC in a vehicle yes if 21 or older

IA
1. OC legalno, without a license from Iowa
2. CC legalno, without a license from Iowa
3. Bars/restaurants ?
4. Castle doctrine no
5. OC in a vehicle no
6. CC in a vehicle no
Must be unloaded & inaccessable

eye95

imported post

MKEgal, you are a generous person to be so helpful.

The book is probably excellent. The only problem is that books get out of date. handgunlaw.us is a great reference for CC, and of course, this site contains good info for OC. Between the two, that covers pretty much everything you need to know, and they are kept pretty well up-to-date.

armedwalleye

imported post

MKEgal,

Eye95 was spot on. You are very generous. Thanks for being willing to share. I wasn't evan aware such a resource exists, and sounds like it would be worth a read. Thanks also for the website info.

Eye95, good point as well, and thanks also for the website info.

I've seen in other posts the openness and willingness to shere on this board, and thank both of you, as well as all the others that took the time to read my questions.

Safe travels thanks to you!

cigarsmoker918

imported post

I live in Broken Arrow Oklahoma and have a current Conceal Carry License issued from Oklahoma. so correct me if i am wrong. when i am in Missouri i can open carry even though i am not a resident of Missouri ? minus where you cannot etc? over though. I am about to relocate to Ozark Missouri here in a few months. i go to my parents place all the time and i keep mine concealed? please respond if you would.
also would you direct me to where i would need to follow up with transferring my CCL when i locate or what i need to do etc.

Respectfully yours

Kevin Doty

cigarsmoker918@gmail.com

CraigC178

imported post

MKEgal wrote:
armedwalleye wrote:

1. OC legal yes/no
2. CC legalyes/no

IL
1. OC legal no
2. CC legalno
3. Bars/restaurants ?
4. Castle doctrine no
5. OC in a vehicle no
6. CC in a vehicle no
Must be unloaded, encased &in trunk
This is only partially true. In Illinois it must be unloaded and "encased", but there is no provision that it be out of reach or in the trunk. IL's laws defining encased contain a clause that includes "or other container". The state Supreme Court has ruled that the "other container" provision includes the center counsel of a vehicle (see "State v Diggins").

I have cited the statutes and case law in this thread- http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum21/39922.html

Broondog

imported post

MKEgal wrote:
armedwalleye wrote:

1. OC legal yes/no
2. CC legalyes/no

MO
1. OC legal yes, though cities may prohibit it
3. Bars/restaurants Bars - NO, Restaurants - YES
4. Castle doctrine yes
5. OC in a vehicle YES
6. CC in a vehicle yes if 21 or older
per MO Revised Statutes Chapter 571 http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c571.htm

to clarify, the Bars/Restaurants thing is listed in the CC endorsement section. the establishment must gain revenue of 51% or greater from food to be legal, ie: a normal eatery.

a loaded handgun is legal anywhere inside your vehicle including being on your person, OC or CC. a loaded rifle or shotgun is NOT legal. strange huh?

groats

imported post

a loaded handgun is legal anywhere inside your vehicle including being on your person, OC or CC.  a loaded rifle or shotgun is NOT legal.  strange huh?

Perhaps it was written to prevent hunting from vehicles.

imported post

I am new to the Open Carry in Michigan and I was wondering if you are OC and you get in your vehicle to drive do you have to have a CC or does the OC still apply?

UtahJarhead

imported post

kickacebullrider2006 wrote:
I am new to the Open Carry in Michigan and I was wondering if you are OC and you get in your vehicle to drive do you have to have a CC or does the OC still apply?
Well, my friend.. first off, welcome to OCDO! Stay long, post often!

Second... The best place to ask that question is in the Michigan forum. Open Carry, Conceal Carry, and vehicle laws vary VERY widely from state to state.