• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ride Along

eastmeyers

imported post

I asked a Southfield LEO and asked if I aCPL holder could carry while on a ride along. He/she said no. I said why not? He/she said their are too many places that LEOs go that are PFZs during ride alongs. I said what about if they OC then those issues would no longer exist. He/She said well it is against the department policies, and I told him/her that State Preemption would void that. He/she than dropped the conversation.

As a tax payer do I not have the right to go on a ride along? Can anyone find site laws applying?

Thanks God Bless!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
I asked a Southfield LEO and asked if I a CPL holder could carry while on a ride along.  He/she said no.  I said why not?  He/she said their are too many places that LEOs go that are PFZs during ride alongs.  I said what about if they OC then those issues would no longer exist.  He/She said well it is against the department policies, and I told him/her that State Preemption would void that.  He/she than dropped the conversation.

As a tax payer do I not have the right to go on a ride along?  Can anyone find site laws applying?

Thanks God Bless!
I don't know if you have a right to go on a ride along or not... My guess is not.

G

imported post

I do ride alongs everywhere I go.

I've been in Florida since December 1st and have done 4 so far. Saturday will make 5th. Went out on New Years eve here.

I've done 2 in lower Alabama.

I've done several in Jacksonville, NC area.

I've gone along in Henderson, NV.

I can't begin to count the number I've done in Michigan.

I have never been turned down/denied.

But I have never been allowed to carry my own weapon. However, I have always had access to one. What more do you want than that?

While I have not done one in Southfield, it is now on my short list for when I get back to MI. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:

I've been in Florida since December 1st and have done 4 so far. Saturday will make 5th. Went out on New Years eve here.

But I have never been allowed to carry my own weapon. However, I have always had access to one. What more do you want than that?

While I have not done one in Southfield, it is now on my short list for when I get back to MI. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes.
I don't doubt it, but Easymeyers is not talking about being cuffed and in the back seat.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

I don't doubt it, but Easymeyers is not talking about being cuffed and in the back seat.
LOL, ok, that was a good one. :)

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

PDinDetroit

imported post

This is new, I did not know we could request something like this.

How would one go about requesting a Ride Along with the local police?

wally1120

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

That is exactly what I was thinking :lol:, Please don`t get hauled off to jail when you get back into MI Pat:banghead: We have to go to the Range and do some shooting sometime, Don`t take valuable;) range time up in a Jail Cell

G

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:

Call them or stop by and see the desk sgt. It's that simple. Really.

And since it is not OCDO, you may want to look presentable and act respectable.

Not trying to start a dress code debate.

American *** WITH a Gun would undoubtedly get turned away according to the way he stated that he dresses. But who knows. After he has a meeting with Comissioner Dwyer to identify deficient trainingg aspects in the Warren PD, the commissioner may even offer to give the ride himself.

Lil freak might also have a bit of a problem in his community, based on the recent interactions he's had with his local PD in his own home. He seems to already have an undesirable reputation with them.

budlight

imported post

Going on a ride along is a privilege, not a right. Most departments that do allow this have you sign a form releasing them from liability if you get hurt or killed. However, it doesn’t release them from any liability you create. Therefore, I think it is understandable that they are not going to allow you to carry a firearm.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I went on a ride along, many, many moons ago, in my original home town, Marion, Indiana. I was 18 at the time. I knew the LEO I was riding with. He was the chief sponsor and instructor for the local PAL/NRA Jr. rifle club that I belonged to.

Anyway, while on the ride along, we came across a house on fire. He contacted dispatch gave them the address then he went to make sure the occupants were out of the house, while I warned the neighbors to get out.

A supervisor showed up in short order and told me to take the squad car down the street and block off the intersection. Now that was fun. Not the fire, driving the car with the lights on. ;)

lil_freak_66

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:

American *** WITH a Gun would undoubtedly get turned away according to the way he stated that he dresses. But who knows. After he has a meeting with Comissioner Dwyer to identify deficient trainingg aspects in the Warren PD, the commissioner may even offer to give the ride himself.

Lil freak might also have a bit of a problem in his community, based on the recent interactions he's had with his local PD in his own home. He seems to already have an undesirable reputation with them.

well me and lansing pd have never really been on the best of terms.

however,ingham county officers like me to the best of my knowledge.

never had any problems with them,and when i worked for the detroit free press delivering papers,i often found myself at speedway at about 1:30am having littlecasual chit chats with ingham county and/or mason officers over coffee,talking about anything from the weather to politics and hunting.

same way with shiawassee and presque isle county. as well as vernon,leslie and durand PD.ive always wanted to try one of them there ride alongs actually...

7th District

imported post

I concur withBudlight's post. Police departments can have a policy against ride alongs. My department only allows two groups of people to do ride alongs, members of the media and college interns referred by a CJ program. The ride alongalso has to sign a waiver and then it has to be run up the chain of command for final approval. Heck I can't even take my Dad or brother in law on a ride along as it is against policy.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
AAPD just requires that you come from the local college/university or be a citizen of Ann Arbor.
I know Lansing has a ride along program, but I think it runs in "seasons" so to say.

PDinDetroit

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:

Thanks Pat. I will keep this in mind if and when I do a ride along.

G

imported post

7th District wrote:
I concur withBudlight's post. Police departments can have a policy against ride alongs. My department only allows two groups of people to do ride alongs, members of the media and college interns referred by a CJ program. The ride alongalso has to sign a waiver and then it has to be run up the chain of command for final approval. Heck I can't even take my Dad or brother in law on a ride along as it is against policy.
That's too bad 7th.

I'm currently "greasing the skids" for one of our younger members. This could lead to something for him.

My driver down here actually calls me now and asks if I want to ride. We've become friends as a result. It's also lead to open and candid discussion with him and his associates about the practical benefits of OC. (FL is non-OC)