• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dallas Morning News - Starbucks made the right call to ride out anti-gun protest effort

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/DN-starbucks_0317edi.State.Edition1.2e61f0d.html

SNIP

March 16, 2010

[size=-1][/size]

Sometimes, the most civil response is no response at all.

. . . it was the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence that initially forced the issue in a Feb. 4 letter to the chairman of Starbucks, accusing the company of "evasion" for not banning firearms in its stores. Gun-rights advocates took that as an invitation to strap on holsters and get caffeinated.

A showy confrontation spread around the nation in early March, making Starbucks the place to see and be seen for protesters on both sides of the issue. . . .

Starbucks stores suddenly were on the front pages of American newspapers and the focus of intense television-news coverage. The display of firepower clearly didn't fit with the image Starbucks has cultivated over the years. Instead of taking the bait, however, Chairman Howard Shultz declared that this was a matter for local, state and federal lawmakers to decide. Starbucks says it is not inclined to oust law-abiding customers from its stores.

Today, what we have is a non-issue. What could have become a divisive confrontation of Tea Party durability has, instead, quietly drifted into obscurity. Despite threats of repercussions from customers, Starbucks emerged largely unfazed, with its stock at a 52-week high.

People say and do provocative things all the time. The other side always has the choice of reacting with anger and ratcheting up the confrontation. But civility sometimes means not taking the bait and giving cooler heads a chance to prevail. Starbucks chose to focus the steam where it belongs – at the cappuccino bar.

Superlite27

imported post

+1

I wouldn't go as far as "idiots", though. Their intentions are good.

Of course, the pavement on the road to hell........

I commented in the LA forum about how I'd approach a situation once.....

...and was shouted down by those advocating doing nothing.

Evidently, "activism" in Louisiana means spending more time yelling at folks on your side rather than fight anti-gun policies by standing up for your rights.

Can the words "well organized" and "Louisiana" be used in the same sentence?

I'm not going to go so far as name calling,though. However,I did get the feelinganything I saidwas unwanted and I should just go away. Almost as if they would rathershare a beer with anti-gun fellow Louisianans trampling their rights than have one with a durned, interferin' Yank.

Guess I'll just go back to where I belong.

It amuses me to find someone else who noticed the eerie sense of discord in the LA forum, though.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"Sometimes, the most civil response is no response at all."

Exactly why I ignore the idiots on the Louisiana forum.
Too bad, too... One of the states I live nearby I might have OCed in. But I learned quickly I'd find no friends there.

No wonder their Mayor took them all away.

They deserve what they tolerate.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
I think I just might stop by a Starbucks for lunch tomorrow as a little "thank you."

And so I did. The place was nearly empty despite it being lunch time. The staff for the most part ignored my gun. A few of the guys smiled knowingly, and one of the women kept averting her eyes, but no one hassled me or said anything.

A few other customers came in and sat near me, but they, too, did not appear either to notice or to mind if they did notice.

echo5sierra

imported post

Well that's pretty awesome. I bet those guys that smiled knowingly wish they could pack heat while they are whipping up a frappuccino.

RLGuthrie

imported post

I carry concealed jsut about every time I'm there, Nohazzles. I did send a email to Starbucks sorta encouraging them to stay the course. Since they tend to hire mostly college age young ladies, I think I'd post a sign that say's gun bear's welcome, show your CCL and get 10% off.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

RLGuthrie wrote:
I'd post a sign that say's gun bear's welcome, show your CCL and get 10% off.
Having to show your CCL/CHL/CCW to get a discount is a bit exclusive since some states do not require a permit to exercise your right. I do however like the idea of any business actively and openlywelcoming OCers, CCers and all other 2a supporters into their establishment. It would be nice to see some large, visible company openly support individual liberty. But what are the odds? They would be risking alienating the sheeple who spend money with them too. Still, it's a nice dream.

RLGuthrie

imported post

We can always hope! At least they don't have a circled handgun with a slash thru it. Those always lose my dollars.

CommonMan101

imported post

RLGuthrie wrote:
...I think I'd post a sign that say's gun bear's welcome, show your CCL and get 10% off.

Gun Bears are notorious for not showing their CCL's.

Bears_with_Guns.jpg

Armed_Bear.jpg

Gun bearers on the other hand...

:cool: