• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sub forums here or a new forum, something needs to give

G

imported post

This forum is already moderated.

Several threads have been deleted in the last 2 days for being off topic.

How much moderation do you want?

Or are you seeking censorship under the guise of "moderation"?

How many sub threads should there be besides the one that discusses open carry?

What would be the subject of the sub-threads?
Open carry 2?
Open carry 3?
Open carry 4?

Bronson

imported post

My lean would toward MOC having their own forum.

There is always so much confusion between MOC and OCDO being linked together or somehow affiliated with each other. One of the reasons for that is that we have official announcements from MOC leadership being posted here on OCDO...it's no wonder people think they are linked.

MOC needs it's own place and ALL MOC business should remain onits ownwebsite.

Bronson

G

imported post

Bronson wrote:
My lean would toward MOC having their own forum.

There is always so much confusion between MOC and OCDO being linked together or somehow affiliated with each other. One of the reasons for that is that we have official announcements from MOC leadership being posted here on OCDO...it's no wonder people think they are linked.

MOC needs it's own place and ALL MOC business should remain onits ownwebsite.

Bronson
No need to lean.

As posted in several threads here and in the email to the membership form GeneralDet, a separate MOC website is currently being developed by viperar15.

This will be a great leap forward for MOC.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Has anybody thought of getting an OCDO MI or MOC xat?...there free semi-private chatrooms, real time chat...not post, wait, refresh, read, post, repeat...idk just my .02c...i know alot of people who use them for different groups...mostly video games but the point is still the same...also webbs, its a free website type thing, all members have to be invited by email and you can put xat chat boxes on them...i know a guy in Salt Lake city that set one up in like 6 hours...you can see member pics and chat, also you can have multiple chat boxes from xat on there "events" "general" etc...idk...like i said...just my .02c

lil_freak_66

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
Has anybody thought of getting an OCDO MI or MOC xat?...there free semi-private chatrooms, real time chat...not post, wait, refresh, read, post, repeat...idk just my .02c...i know alot of people who use them for different groups...mostly video games but the point is still the same...also webbs, its a free website type thing, all members have to be invited by email and you can put xat chat boxes on them...i know a guy in Salt Lake city that set one up in like 6 hours...you can see member pics and chat, also you can have multiple chat boxes from xat on there "events" "general" etc...idk...like i said...just my .02c
we use teamspeak...

CoonDog

imported post

FWIW, there's no doubt in my mind that we need our own forum. When we meet people on the street, can we really afford to send them here for info on carry laws if they're going to run into a round of childish bantering. IMO, they see that behavior and MOC looses all credibility for that person. I don't want them going away thinking, "those MOC guys are nuts" or, "those guys are a-holes". Our own forum on MOC.org can be useful for discussing legal and event info, more formal, if you will, while we can come here to OCDO to shoot the bull and bicker at each other if need-be.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Heh you think the childish bickering will stay here and not migrate? I'd like some of what you're having. I wish you were right, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Heh you think the childish bickering will stay here and not migrate? I'd like some of what you're having. I wish you were right, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
I wouldn't count on it. ;)

CoonDog

imported post

Well, I hear you on the cautious optimism and I agree we'll never be rid of it completely (I've been guilty of the same, at least over on MGO). At least having the forum on MOC, there's the opportunity for the mods can say, "Edit your post and take it to PM or it will be deleted." I'll keep my finger's crossed.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Well, I hear you on the cautious optimism and I agree we'll never be rid of it completely (I've been guilty of the same, at least over on MGO). At least having the forum on MOC, there's the opportunity for the mods can say, "Edit your post and take it to PM or it will be deleted." I'll keep my finger's crossed.
I agree. If MOC has a forum with more control, there would be less objectionable material floating about. By the same token, if owners of this forum could appoint a couple of trustworthy people here to moderate this forum, we could reach the same happy medium. But I do think it would need more than just one person.

That person would need to be someone with some experience in moderating a forum, and would need to be level headed, (yeah, right. ;) ) as well as someone who's not involved in any inter-personal conflicts with anyone else on this forum. Or at least someone who can rise above such conflicts and handle conflicts with fairness and an even hand.

autosurgeon

imported post

If properly moderated with a good Code of Conduct it can be run very smoothly. I have moderated several forums and had very few problems. A few suspensions and a couple of outright banns on trolls but other than that no big deal.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
If properly moderated with a good Code of Conduct it can be run very smoothly. I have moderated several forums and had very few problems. A few suspensions and a couple of outright banns on trolls but other than that no big deal.
Agreed. Most of the problems I've ever run into on forums I've moderated can be handled with little fuss. Sometimes bad things happen, but it sort of depends on the forum's dynamic. I've been on some that were very smooth, and others that were wild. It just depends on certain factors.

Myself, I only run into trouble when on a forum that's over loaded with rules. The fewer rules the better, in my humble opinion. :)

G

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
FWIW, there's no doubt in my mind that we need our own forum. When we meet people on the street, can we really afford to send them here for info on carry laws if they're going to run into a round of childish bantering. IMO, they see that behavior and MOC looses all credibility for that person. I don't want them going away thinking, "those MOC guys are nuts" or, "those guys are a-holes". Our own forum on MOC.org can be useful for discussing legal and event info, more formal, if you will, while we can come here to OCDO to shoot the bull and bicker at each other if need-be.
+1

Big Gay Al wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Agreed. Most of the problems I've ever run into on forums I've moderated can be handled with little fuss. Sometimes bad things happen, but it sort of depends on the forum's dynamic. I've been on some that were very smooth, and others that were wild. It just depends on certain factors.

Myself, I only run into trouble when on a forum that's over loaded with rules. The fewer rules the better, in my humble opinion. :)
+1

G

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Did they put it to a vote before the "Bloody Friday"?
Are you suggesting that the debacle concerning a controversial meet and eat might be enough to change their minds on the matter?
If you recall, the event you're alluding to occurred on a Saturday.

My reference was to the removal of all moderators on this site that was completed by the owners.

My simplified restated question is this...

Are you suggesting, by your previous post, that the owners of this site should have put the dismissal of all moderators before the "membership" of OCDO prior to it's execution?

This site had more moderation and it did not work out as the owners wnated it to.

The current level of moderation is evidently working or the owners would most certainly have changed it.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:
Something needs to be done, it's embarrassing whats going on in the michigan forum.

Personally I think a separate forum would be best, but if not it seems AT LEAST a fewsub-forums should be created.

Forgive my ignorance on the issue, but is it hard for ocdo to give us a few subs?

Does it take a long time to create one?

Considering how active the MI section is why haven't they done this already?

Is this something they refuse to do?
IIRC, John and Mike tried appointing others as mods, and it didn't work out well for them. I suspect they are apprehensive about trying it again, and since they are the only two folks moderating the entire forum, they have their hands full. Adding sub-forums and moderating those adds work, and they already do this as a labor of love.
I once ran a small forum, basically as a one man operation. For the most part everything went smoothly until I went to go on a short vacation and figured I needed help with moderation while I was away.

I asked for volunteers, and got several. The people I picked, I did so as they seemed level headed at the time. Boy, was I wrong. Even though they didn't have as much control as I did, I came back from vacation to find the whole forum in chaos. I ended up shutting the whole thing down.

Needless to say, I was bummed out for a long time. That sort of experience can really drag you down, when you find out your trust was severely misplaced.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Several much smaller forums that I've modded or admin'd the number one rule that was clearly posted and vigilantly enforced was respect. Not up for discussion, not up for debate, disagree and debate all you want, cross that line and your warned, suspended, banned, in that order.

G

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Several much smaller forums that I've modded or admin'd the number one rule that was clearly posted and vigilantly enforced was respect. Not up for discussion, not up for debate, disagree and debate all you want, cross that line and your warned, suspended, banned, in that order.
With that in mind then this thread is in violation of the following rule and the OP should be suspended.

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]"NOTE: This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry,firearms and gun rights. Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focussed. If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it. Thanks!"[/font]

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

So how strict do you think the rules should be enforced, if you're willing to participate in their violation yourself right here?

The leeway that the owner's allow is the very thing that makes it beneficial to discussions.

If a topic or post is that disagreeable to someone, then they should just not participate. But if someone wants to debate then by all means post.

How much more moderation is needed?

FatboyCykes

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
With that in mind then this thread is in violation of the following rule and the OP should be suspended.

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]"NOTE: This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry,firearms and gun rights. Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focussed. If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it. Thanks!"[/font]

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

So how strict do you think the rules should be enforced, if you're willing to participate in their violation yourself right here?

The leeway that the owner's allow is the very thing that makes it beneficial to discussions.

If a topic or post is that disagreeable to someone, then they should just not participate. But if someone wants to debate then by all means post.

How much more moderation is needed?
How is this thread not clearly, fairly related to OC? And how does that have anything to do with respect?

Your premise is ridiculous on it's face. If Mike and JP want to warn us for getting to General Topic-y, then I'll take up this debate with you, but they don't seem to care as again, this thread IS clearly, fairly OC related.