• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sub forums here or a new forum, something needs to give

Michigander

imported post

I have felt for a very long time that it would be a mistake to branch off and do our own forum. This website is the nerve center of open carrying, and splitting off from it would do no good.

However, I've been realizing more and more lately that the Michigan section is a complete mess, and needs to be fixed, one way or another. I still feel my idea of 3 sub forums, and a few people with only an ability to move threads within them, would be the best idea.

But if Mike and JPierce are unwilling to allow that, I am starting to believe MOC should make its own forum. Hopefully if it comes to this, there could be a sticky here and a prominent link there to link one site to the other.

If we had our own forum, or more substantial control here over trolls and other idiots, as well as the ability to clean things up when they need it, we could have a much more pleasant, friendly and useful way of communicating with each other. It doesn't reflect well on us that our primary means of communication is a cluster ****.

This thread is nothing more or less than a petition to both JPierce and Mike, as well as MOC. If you believe that Michigan OCers would benefit from having several sub forums here with a few people who can move threads, please say so. If you also believe that the next best thing is for MOC start its own forum, please say that too.

By the way, this is not intended as a place to argue this issue, it is only a petition to be signed off on if you agree. All I ask is that if you agree with me, please say so. If you don't agree with me, please feel free to bump this thread to argue it out- http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/40028.html

Michigander

imported post

I appreciate the information, but all I'm trying to do is gauge support for the idea, as well as trying to gauge support for cleaning up this forum some without giving anyone full blown moderator abilities.

MOC's official position on it isn't the point, the point is what the people want. ;)

Although I suppose the fact that MOC agrees is a good thing. :cool:

PDinDetroit

imported post

I agree, we need Sub-forums and have for some time. I support such a petition to John and Mike since we have so much activity here in MI.

In addition, it would be very good to have a few people able to Moderate the MI Forum (and Sub-forums). As the Open Carry movement continues to grow, it is impossible for 1-2 people to continue the role of Moderator by themselves. There are many "conversations" that have occurred over the past few months that do not lend themselves to forwarding the OC Movement.

As to moving to another website, I am not sure I support that. Any movement to create a new website can be established quickly, but the confusion and organization issues that it may cause could have lasting effects (Law of Unintended Consequences). I work in the IT Industry with dynamic business customers who want to "move fast" and host new sites/systems very quickly. The result: Information Sprawl and confused "users" as to where to go for the best information.

The good point out of all this: OC in MI is becoming more and more accepted every day, to the point where we have the time and resources to look at issues other than LEO Interactions gone bad!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

My $.02:

Ideal situation:Appoint someone (or someones) limited mod ability, and add a couple sub-forums to this one. You are right, this forum is quite literally the nerve center of the movement, and utilizing another forum would serve to divide the group, like it or not.

That being said, If Mike and John are not willing, the only other reasonable option would be another forum altogether, which is apparently being worked on. My understanding is that it will be geared solely toward paid members, though. While this would work for M.O.C. Inc., many folks here are drones, not recognized as full fledged members, but hugely involved in the movement. I personally am a member of 7 or 8 gun rights forums, but this one is the one I use almost exclusively. I'm a creature of habit, and another forum would just muddy the water for me.

My vote is for additional sub-forums, and appointed mods.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I would prefer subforums on this website if possible... but if not we need something else...

I don't like segregating the effort, but we need to have some more organization and maybe a small ounce of control [but not much]

G

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
My $.02:

Ideal situation:Appoint someone (or someones) limited mod ability, and add a couple sub-forums to this one. You are right, this forum is quite literally the nerve center of the movement, and utilizing another forum would serve to divide the group, like it or not.

That being said, If Mike and John are not willing, the only other reasonable option would be another forum altogether, which is apparently being worked on. My understanding is that it will be geared solely toward paid members, though. While this would work for M.O.C. Inc., many folks here are drones, not recognized as full fledged members, but hugely involved in the movement. I personally am a member of 7 or 8 gun rights forums, but this one is the one I use almost exclusively. I'm a creature of habit, and another forum would just muddy the water for me.

My vote is for additional sub-forums, and appointed mods.
I want to be the moderator.

FatboyCykes

imported post

My only issue with sticking here is the lack of control. Even if Mike and JP appoint someone, one person won't be enough, if that person disappears or goes rouge or w/e of 1000 possibilities that could arise, it'll become a PITA for us and them.

For that reason, I support a separate site, I do realize that by fracturing or splitting off, we may lose some and nobody really wants that, but hell, I've got three to four open gun forums on my desktop at all times :? Adding another wouldn't be a big deal. The only problem that we'd have then, is the stupid stuff that wouldn't fly over at the "new" forums would find it's way here and the back and forth would be nauseating. I know John said two months and that's really not a long way off, but it sure feels like it and it seems kinda silly, if that's our long term goal, to change too much over here. Couldn't hurt, but if the majority of us are spending the majority of our time on the MOC forum, all the reasons above are that much more legit.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Pete: Wait a minute. Who elected you leader of this outfit?

Ulysses: Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Pete: Suits me. I'm voting for yours truly.

Ulysses: Well I'm voting for yours truly too.

Delmar: Okay... I'm with you fellas.

detroit_fan

imported post

Something needs to be done, it's embarrassing whats going on in the michigan forum.

Personally I think a separate forum would be best, but if not it seems AT LEAST a fewsub-forums should be created.

Forgive my ignorance on the issue, but is it hard for ocdo to give us a few subs?

Does it take a long time to create one?

Considering how active the MI section is why haven't they done this already?

Is this something they refuse to do?

G

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Pete: Wait a minute. Who elected you leader of this outfit?

Ulysses: Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Pete: Suits me. I'm voting for yours truly.

Ulysses: Well I'm voting for yours truly too.

Delmar: Okay... I'm with you fellas.
Recount.

Hanging chads.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

detroit_fan wrote:
Something needs to be done, it's embarrassing whats going on in the michigan forum.

Personally I think a separate forum would be best, but if not it seems AT LEAST a fewsub-forums should be created.

Forgive my ignorance on the issue, but is it hard for ocdo to give us a few subs?

IIRC, John and Mike tried appointing others as mods, and it didn't work out well for them. I suspect they are apprehensive about trying it again, and since they are the only two folks moderating the entire forum, they have their hands full. Adding sub-forums and moderating those adds work, and they already do this as a labor of love.

detroit_fan

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:

IIRC, John and Mike tried appointing others as mods, and it didn't work out well for them. I suspect they are apprehensive about trying it again, and since they are the only two folks moderating the entire forum, they have their hands full. Adding sub-forums and moderating those adds work, and they already do this as a labor of love.
I see, I didn't know there were only 2 mods on the whole site, ouch. Now that I know that, I personally think a separtate forum for MOC is the only choice, because it needs more moderation than this site will be able to provide.

G

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:

Did they put it to a vote before the "Bloody Friday"?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Did they put it to a vote before the "Bloody Friday"?
Are you suggesting that the debacle concerning a controversial meet and eat might be enough to change their minds on the matter?