• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Christian Science Monitor - Time for Britain to try open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/The-Adam-Smith-Institute-Blog/2010/0316/If-US-states-allow-open-carry-of-guns-why-not-Britain

SNIP

The BBC news on Thursday night featured a report on the upcoming Supreme Court decision on the Chicago gun ban; litigation launched after the successful case of DC v Heller, which overturned a similar outright prohibition on handguns in Washington DC.
here. . . . the BBC’s report was worth watching. It largely focussed on the effect of laws already in force in Wisconsin, which allow the open-carry, but not concealed-carry, of handguns. It showed how responsible, law-abiding citizens carrying guns openly leads to people both feeling and being safer.

The story that ran slightly later in the news concerned the jobs due to be lost at train station ticket offices across London, chiefly because of the advent of the automated Oyster card. The RMT Union gave its predictable little spiel arguing in effect for swapping motor cars for cycle rickshaws, because they don’t understand the economic benefits of technological advancement. However, a lot of customers interviewed by the reporter did seem genuinely concerned that a lack of visible staff at stations would lead to an increase in crime.

. . .

Open-carry is very ‘visible’ – far more so than staff in neon jackets on station platforms, or standing behind ticket counters. It allows people to take charge of their own security. In addition, it empowers people to look out for one another as good neighbours, rather than relying on there always being someone official on hand to bail them out. It also means that criminals, who in our country seem to have no qualms about carrying and using knives to assault innocent citizens, would be placed at a disadvantage – far more of a disadvantage, in fact, than they are if, carrying knives, they are confronted by a station clerk, not carrying a knife.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike,

When you and John founded this OCDO and go the movement started, did you think that it would get the International attention that it has?

You should both be very proud of what has been acccomplished.

Old Grump

imported post

Fingers crossed is right. I would love to see you at least be able to have possession of weapons in your homes without all the red tape and the right to defend yourself. I'm hoping you get a good start on it before the Olympics and then make the Ninnies in Parliament make your new shooting range permanent.

If you could open carry in Soho without all the silly anti's having strokes I will know the world has gotten back on the road to sanity. Not that many would agree with my definition of sanity.

saveyourself

Swansea which is in Wales not England, , United Ki
imported post

Some people are starting to realise that some governments in Europe are getting too big for their boots. In the UK we certainly feel the polititians in the main parties are, as Frank Zappa said "only in it for the money". Many of us believe some are being bribed by the EU to hand over power and keep their mouths shut.Some are calling this new super-state the "EUSSR" and their iron grip certainly feels like it. One particularly slimey character, Peter Mandleson, has signed a deal with the EU thatgives him large EUpensions, on condition that he never disagrees with anything the EU does. Our PM has given him a very powerful possition in our government, even though he has been thrown out/resigned from the government twice in the past for some bad deeds. The man is completly unelected.

In the UK, we have a Bill of Rights that should give us similar rights that US citizens posses, but our government will not aknowledge themexcept whenthey use themto protect themselves!

It is worrying.

Whats that saying - ?" A government big enough to give you everything is also big enough to take it all away again." How true.

old dog

imported post

Is it even marginally possible that England could regain something of its national and cultural vigor?

BTW, do I understand correctly that your Olympic pistol team must train on the Continent?

saveyourself

Swansea which is in Wales not England, , United Ki
imported post

I believe they will be given special exemption for the actual games, but have to train abroad..... stinks doesn't it?

I had hoped the other countries would have rejected the UK's bid to host the games as they don't allow some of the events, but no one picked up on it.

I remember the anger at our gun club after the pistol ban here, when the government allowed pistol shooting in the UK hosted european games. We were so angry at range officers working at the games. We thought they should have told the government to "go forth and multiply" so to speak!

There are some political parties emerging that profess to put "England" ( I call it Great Britain) first, but the main political parties pull out all the stops to brand them fascist or racist. Ironicaly, it is the main parties who are acting like fascists and thankfully the people aren't too stupid to see it.

old dog

imported post

I would be delighted if shooters from the States would boycott the London games in protest.

I felt the same way about the Japan games when our shooters were treated so shabbily by the authorities. We all know shooters literally live with their arms, frequently taking them up to throw to their shoulders and taking a sight or just appreciating the pleasing weight in their hands. In Japan arms were stored with the police and cartridges counted.

It's fun to speculate on the response in some countries if IDPA or PP ever made it to the games. Imagine Japan or England confronted by scores of gunfighters such as Massad Ayoob or Clint Smith. We won't even mention the women who participate in these disciplines.

It's a gorgeous afternoon here. I think I'll go bust a few caps.

Old Grump

imported post

saveyourself wrote:
Where is that little smilie with green eyes.;)

Bust a few for me :cry:
In the last week I have shot my 10 gauge, my 12 gauge, my 357 revolver and my .308 single shot rifle. Sorry I wasn't thinking of you at the time, I was having way to much fun.

If its any consolation I do think of you guys a lot and wish the heck we could all get together to burn up some gun powder, make lots of loud noises and destroy some perfectly good targets. Maybe even scorch some meat on a grill, drink some adult beverages and pretend we are having a great time.

Tomorrow I will try and put a few rounds through the old M1 Garand and for all I know it may have been in your country at one time. I promise to dedicate the target to your fight for freedom. Not much help but the thought is there.

Old Grump

imported post

Done did it. Did a mess of gardening yesterday so I almost didn't go out. It was cold and windy and I was stiff and sore but I went out anyway. The old gun shot a lot better than I was feeling when I went out but I feel better now. Funny how a gun with more white hairs than I have can shoot so good with iron sights and old surplus ammo. Even funnier that a deadly machine so feared by nanny panty wearers can be so much fun.

Smokeless Coal

imported post

Back to the Olympics, whoever wins the pistol competitions will have a hollow victory knowing the the best in the world were barred from competing.

I popped off 9k rounds last year so still enjoy a good bang, shame there was not more through a short barrel.

Old Grump

imported post

I hope and pray that the best do show and that you Brits do well. The more shooters you can get to participate the better the publicity for all shooters and shooter sports. I would really love to see every shooting lane full and for all the events to run overtime because of massive participation. The best revenge on the ninnies is to have a good shoot and for everybody to have a great time with no casualties or injuries among shooters or spectators.

Smokeless Coal

imported post

Our government has allowed just 20 people to have an exemption allowing them to have a pistol to practice with, discrimination obviously and against the olympic charter where everyone should be able to practice their chosen sport.

After the olympics they will no longer be allowed to have them so will either have to have them disposed of or sent to the training camp in Switzerland.