2 18.18%
  • I can't make any of those

4 36.36%
  • I'd rather go somewhere else

0 0%

Thread: Trip to McMiller

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

I'm just trying to gauge interest in a group trip out to McMiller in Eagle. It's really the only public rifle range around and I think it's be a lot of fun. Pick the day that's best for you and we'll see what we see. Hours of operation for April thru September are

Tue: 12 pm -5 pm
    Thu: 12 pm -7 pm
    Sat: 9 am - 4 pm
    Sun: 9 am - 4 pm

Their website can be found here :

http://www.mcmillershootingcenter.co...tol_ranges.htm

Let me know what you think and if you know of a better place please speak up!
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

I have never been there but would love to go. tuesday or sunday work best for me.

Post imported post

Ok, so 70 views and 1 vote? What gives?
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
    I'm just trying to gauge interest in a group trip out to McMiller in Eagle. It's really the only public rifle range around and I think it's be a lot of fun. Pick the day that's best for you and we'll see what we see. Hours of operation for April thru September are

Tue: 12 pm -5 pm
    Thu: 12 pm -7 pm
    Sat: 9 am - 4 pm
    Sun: 9 am - 4 pm

Their website can be found here :

http://www.mcmillershootingcenter.co...tol_ranges.htm

Let me know what you think and if you know of a better place please speak up!
    I've been to McMiller several times and it is basically a target range. No carrying, no drawing from holsters, no rapid fire, etc.. Here is an alternative.

For about the same money ($18 for non-members) we could go to an IDPA match down by Racine. Non-IDPA members can shoot one match before joining just to see if they enjoy it. You'll get to carry your holstered weapon (unloaded until it's your turn to shoot.) move, draw, rapid fire, reload, shoot from cover, etc., all under safe conditions. You'll get to fire between 75 and 120 rounds in multiple scenarios during the day. The first two outdoor matches of the year are:

April 17th, 2010 Racine County Line Rifle Club

May 15th, 2010 Schultz Resort Rod and Gun Club

Go to the Racine IDPA website for more details:
    http://www.racineidpa.com/

Of the two locations, Racine County Line is a huge complex characterized mostly by gravel, dirt, and wind off the lake. Schultz's is smaller with more trees and grass and multiple, earth-bermed shooting areas.

My suggestion would be to go to the April 17th match as observers, to get a feel for how the events are run and what you need to practice. Then go to the May 15th match as shooters. Get there early if you want to help set up and meet some of the regular participants.

Go to this website:
    http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/idpa_092905/
    For the Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Shoot IDPA

Dave

Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Post imported post

Dave, I'm all for that. I've been shooting idpa at Fletchers and I was planning on going to Racine but have been waiting for it to start up.

I guess I was trying to organize something for those of us who don't get to shoot our rifles very often. I haven't really shot them all winter and I have 2 new ones I need to break in and figured a few others might too.

Post imported post

IMHO McMillers is a good range for "every day" shooting.

I have spent a fair amount of time their in the last couple of years as it is the only cheap and somewhat close range that I can shoot my rifles.

I am always looking for people to shoot with and would love to go as a group.

As far as days, Saturdays or Sundays are the only times I ever have available. Although, even that seems to be rare lately
    It's all fun and games until someone flash bangs the kids.

Post imported post

McMiller's would be fine with me, I always head there in late October to make sure the Mighty Buckslayer is still on.

Ipicked up my new M4A3,she needs to send a few rounds down range for sight in as well.

Post imported post

ROOK_WI wrote:
    McMiller's would be fine with me, I always head there in late October to make sure the Mighty Buckslayer is still on.

Ipicked up my new M4A3,she needs to send a few rounds down range for sight in as well.
    Fun fun, I also just got a new "long" gun. Stag piston driven 16" AR-15. I only have about 300 rounds in it so far... I would love to check it at 100 yards. Just let me know when we are going. I would think calling them to let them know we are comming as a group is a good idea.

Post imported post

If I were still in WI, I'd take you all to Hartland Sportmans Club. I'll come back one of these days.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    If I were still in WI, I'd take you all to Hartland Sportmans Club. I'll come back one of these days.
    Hartland is a beautiful place; I'd be up for that. They also shoot IDPA there....

Dave

Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Post imported post

+1 on attending an IDPA match. Mostly because I still have yet to buy my plinking rifle.