• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip to McMiller

Best day to go to McMiller

• Tuesday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thursday

• Saturday

• Sunday

• I can't make any of those

• I'd rather go somewhere else

• Total voters

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm just trying to gauge interest in a group trip out to McMiller in Eagle. It's really the only public rifle range around and I think it's be a lot of fun. Pick the day that's best for you and we'll see what we see. Hours of operation for April thru September are

Tue: 12 pm -5 pm
Thu: 12 pm -7 pm
Sat: 9 am - 4 pm
Sun: 9 am - 4 pm

Their website can be found here :

http://www.mcmillershootingcenter.com/rifle_pistol_ranges.htm

Let me know what you think and if you know of a better place please speak up!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
I'm just trying to gauge interest in a group trip out to McMiller in Eagle. It's really the only public rifle range around and I think it's be a lot of fun. Pick the day that's best for you and we'll see what we see. Hours of operation for April thru September are

Tue: 12 pm -5 pm
Thu: 12 pm -7 pm
Sat: 9 am - 4 pm
Sun: 9 am - 4 pm

Their website can be found here :

http://www.mcmillershootingcenter.com/rifle_pistol_ranges.htm

Let me know what you think and if you know of a better place please speak up!
I've been to McMiller several times and it is basically a target range. No carrying, no drawing from holsters, no rapid fire, etc.. Here is an alternative.

For about the same money ($18 for non-members) we could go to an IDPA match down by Racine. Non-IDPA members can shoot one match before joining just to see if they enjoy it. You'll get to carry your holstered weapon (unloaded until it's your turn to shoot.) move, draw, rapid fire, reload, shoot from cover, etc., all under safe conditions. You'll get to fire between 75 and 120 rounds in multiple scenarios during the day. The first two outdoor matches of the year are:

April 17th, 2010 Racine County Line Rifle Club

May 15th, 2010 Schultz Resort Rod and Gun Club

Go to the Racine IDPA website for more details:
http://www.racineidpa.com/

Of the two locations, Racine County Line is a huge complex characterized mostly by gravel, dirt, and wind off the lake. Schultz's is smaller with more trees and grass and multiple, earth-bermed shooting areas.

My suggestion would be to go to the April 17th match as observers, to get a feel for how the events are run and what you need to practice. Then go to the May 15th match as shooters. Get there early if you want to help set up and meet some of the regular participants.

Go to this website:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/idpa_092905/
For the Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Shoot IDPA

Dave

[align=center]
vopt0w.jpg

[/align]

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dave, I'm all for that. I've been shooting idpa at Fletchers and I was planning on going to Racine but have been waiting for it to start up.

I guess I was trying to organize something for those of us who don't get to shoot our rifles very often. I haven't really shot them all winter and I have 2 new ones I need to break in and figured a few others might too.

PakRatJR

imported post

IMHO McMillers is a good range for "every day" shooting.

I have spent a fair amount of time their in the last couple of years as it is the only cheap and somewhat close range that I can shoot my rifles.

I am always looking for people to shoot with and would love to go as a group.

As far as days, Saturdays or Sundays are the only times I ever have available. Although, even that seems to be rare lately :banghead::(

ROOK_WI

imported post

McMiller's would be fine with me, I always head there in late October to make sure the Mighty Buckslayer is still on.

Ipicked up my new M4A3,she needs to send a few rounds down range for sight in as well.

AaronS

imported post

ROOK_WI wrote:
McMiller's would be fine with me, I always head there in late October to make sure the Mighty Buckslayer is still on.

Ipicked up my new M4A3,she needs to send a few rounds down range for sight in as well.
Fun fun, I also just got a new "long" gun. Stag piston driven 16" AR-15. I only have about 300 rounds in it so far... I would love to check it at 100 yards. Just let me know when we are going. I would think calling them to let them know we are comming as a group is a good idea.

protias

imported post

If I were still in WI, I'd take you all to Hartland Sportmans Club. I'll come back one of these days.