• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the best way to sell a gun to another person

Reapster

imported post

Need to sell one of my guns :(but the question I have is what is the best way to sell it to another person in a responsible manner?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If the sale is to someone you don't know, ask for ID (DL - carry permit would be better if they have one) and make sure they are a resident of the same state you live in. Make sure they are old enough to make the purchase. I'd also make sure I had someone there to watch my 6, just in case a stranger wasn't interested in a lawful trade, if you get my drift.

Other than that, it depends on your state laws concerning private transaction of firearms.

I assume you are in Utah.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
dont "edit" for your benefit.
Don't tell me what to do.
Smiley_ShakeFist.gif

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
BILLYBADBOY wrote:
please* "edit" for your benefit.
Please* tell me what to do. :?
Quit causing trouble you trouble maker! :p

The best way to sell a gun in Utah is list it on KSL.com and sell it to whoever brings you an amount you are willing to take. If you have any reason to believe that the person isn't legally allowed to buy that gun, then don't sell it or try to resolve that suspicion. If you want to keep records of who you sell your guns to, feel free, but it's not required, and some people won't be willing to buy from you.

*some wording may have been changed for my benefit

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Reapster wrote:
Need to sell one of my guns :(but the question I have is what is the best way to sell it to another person in a responsible manner?
I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, YMMV, and every other disclaimer.

That said, my best understanding is that there are very few requirements on private gun transfers in the State of Utah. You don't want to sell a gun to a minor (though a private sale of a handgun to a person between 18 and 21 years of age is legal if there are not other disqualifying events), nor to someone who isn't a resident of Utah. You don't want to sell a gun to a felon, drug user, or someone who is mentally incompetent.

However, Utah does not require you to exchange any paperwork, nor do the transfer through a dealer. It is a good idea to ask to see at least a Utah driver license just to do a good faith effort and verifying age and residency. Some sellers are now requiring a buyer to show a permit to carry as evidence of a clean criminal background. You might ask the buyer to verbally confirm that s/he is legally eligible to buy and own a gun.

Some sellers will require buyers to sign a copy of a bill of sale. Some don't. Either way it is a good idea to keep some kind of personal record of the date and time you sold the gun so on the off chance that 10 years down the road a trace on it leads to your door you will at least have some record of when you sold it. This is probably even less likely if you bought the gun used than if you bought it from a dealer.

Cash is your safest bet. Everything else comes at the risk of never seeing the money. That includes cashier checks and counter checks unless you have some way to tell the difference between the real thing and a forgery.

Physical safety is another consideration. Your own home may offer certain advantages and conveniences at the moment. But now the buyer--as well as the 5 guys who looked at it but decided not to buy it--all know where you live and that you probably have other guns. A shooting range is a fine place to make the sale as it allows for test firing of the gun before or immediately after the sale. If you are going to let a buyer test fire the gun, use YOUR ammo. You don't need to have your gun blown up by someone's hot hand loads. If he wants to do that after it is his gun, his business and problem.

Finally, follow your gut. You are not a business (you'd be in big trouble with the BATF if you were buying and selling guns as a business without an FFL). You are not subject to discrimination claims or suits. Listen to your gut and if anything doesn't feel right, don't make the sale. This is easier to do if you've not given out too much personal information. Cell phone numbers don't reveal your address nearly as easily as land lines.

Charles