• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about CPL and name change

Aaron1124

imported post

My wife has a CPL. She got it before we got married. After marriage, is she required to change her name on her CPL?

She's going to change it through the DOL, and the police department told me that if it's changed through the DOL, it'll be automatically changed in the database.

I completely forgot to ask about the legalities of her needing to get a new CPL. Seeing how she'll be carrying her license with her new last name, will she need to change it through the police department as well? Or will it automatically register when the police run it through the system?

Bersa.380

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
My wife has a CPL. She got it before we got married. After marriage, is she required to change her name on her CPL?

She's going to change it through the DOL, and the police department told me that if it's changed through the DOL, it'll be automatically changed in the database.

I completely forgot to ask about the legalities of her needing to get a new CPL. Seeing how she'll be carrying her license with her new last name, will she need to change it through the police department as well? Or will it automatically register when the police run it through the system?
Check your state laws .... Dude !

Bersa.380

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I can't find any state laws that touch this topic

I look at it this way ......

If you think it would be an issue ..... more then likely it could be ..... go to where it was issued to her and say: What's up dawg .... like .... I got married .... now WTF do I do, oh those that want to control me.:lol::lol::lol:

Aryk45XD

imported post

Just throwing out what I would do no matter how wrong it may be.
Have her carry either a copy of birth certificate or marriage license and don't worry about it until it's time to renew.

oldkim

imported post

Agreed - get a replacement card if you are that concerned.

Here's what is posted online at the WA DOL website.

What if I lose my concealed pistol license?
If your license has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you may obtain a replacement concealed pistol license from your local law enforcement agency. You will need to apply in person and the fee for a replacement license is $10.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealfaq.html

jbone

imported post

In the time you waited for a bunch of opinions you could have called.

Questions?
Please contact us at:

• Phone: (360) 664-6616
  • Fax: (360) 586-2726
  • Email: firearms@dol.wa.gov
  • Mail:

Firearms Section
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9649
    Olympia, WA 98507-9649

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Well, hold on, jbone. I'd rather not talk to any gov't entity unless absolutely necessary. I'd rather ask you guys a dumb question first! If I didn't have to do a damn thing because of a name or address change, I wouldn't.

kenshin

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Well, hold on, jbone. I'd rather not talk to any gov't entity unless absolutely necessary. I'd rather ask you guys a dumb question first! If I didn't have to do a damn thing because of a name or address change, I wouldn't.
+1 What's with the hostility jbone and bersa. He's just asking a question that he doesn't know the answer to. Sounds like he tried to research the statutes but couldn't find anything. If I wasn't able to find the answer to a firearms related question myself, this board would be my next stop.

Yea, he could have called the sheriff's office or DOL, but how many times have we all said, "Don't get legal advice from a LEO"? Not that there's not some well informed ones out there, several are on this board, but I've also received some very bad info from LEO's before. So, I take it all with a little grain of salt.

ETA. After re-reading your post jbone, it sounds more indifferent than hostile. My apologies.

Aaron1124

imported post

I contacted the Police Department, and they told me that once the name is changed on the drivers license (through the DOL), then it will automatically update to the CPL. What I forgot to ask is if acquiring a new CPL with the updated name is required. Just thought I'd ask on here before calling back.

killchain

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I contacted the Police Department, and they told me that once the name is changed on the drivers license (through the DOL), then it will automatically update to the CPL. What I forgot to ask is if acquiring a new CPL with the updated name is required. Just thought I'd ask on here before calling back.
I didn't have to get a CPL (I was under 18) but I had my name changed at one time.

All I've ever had to do for anything was present the court order for my name change. I would recommend when she has that document and does not want to renew right away, to just keep it with her CPL.

I, personally, would just get it renewed with the new name just to be 100%.

esstac-girly

imported post

After I was married I went to get my named changed on my CPL and they would not do it, they told me it would up date when I renewed the original CPL .