• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plymouth Township Police interaction

ChuckWagon-SMVM

imported post

Was at the park with my son. We had been there about 45 minutes. Its a beautiful park, with an cool castle motif playscape that is huge. My son needed to relieve himself we went off to find restrooms.

On our way back I see two Officers crossing the lawn towards us. My son had found some mud before our trip to the restroom and his whole hind end was muddy and wet. I had decided we would leave So I could change him. The officers engaged me in conversation as they got closer.

The very first thing is one of them asked was to see my other hand. As I was sort of askew weak sided to them. Which was just a function of positioning myself to watch them approach and keep my son in view. I turned more towards them and for a while kept my hand a little high( I had no problem with this being a bigger guy for all he knew I could have drawn and my size would have kept him from seeing it)

But any way small talk nice weather, beautiful day so forth. I responded yes but then asked them if I was being detained. They responded no. One of them said (Lets call him tanned guy he did most of their talking) said no just human beings talking to one another. I said that I appreciated that but I was in a hurry my son is all muddy I need to get him in to clean dry clothes.

I was trying to wrangle my son to me, he was not on his best behavior and it took a few requests. They then reengaged me in conversation something to the effect open carrying huh? I said yes and I volunteered that I also have a CPL (I know, I did not have to) He (tanned guy) responds that "you know carrying open like that violates your CPL" I responded no actually I emphatically know that is not true. He responded something to the effect of so were idiots, your calling us idiots. I said absolutely not your the police and you should really have a better handle on the law. I then said again I really need to go am I being detained or am I free to go? "Your are not being detained"

At which point my son had finally moved close enough for me to latch on to him and we moved back to the playscape area. Tanned guy and his partner kept back about 10 yards or so but shadowed us over to the picnic table where we had been sitting. We were at the park with a lady friend of mine she saw the parade behind me(she had been with me at Buffalo Wild wings Sunday night) She took care of my son at this time 2-3 more cars had arrived. Including 2 Sargents tanned guy and the new guys conregratted.

I had gathered up our late lunch paraphernalia and was disposing of the thrash when on of the Sargents approached me and began a conversation.

Hello how are you I know your open carrying and that it is legal. I said yes it is am I being detained. He said something to the effect no absolutely not. Did the other officers say you were you most certainly are not you have a 2nd ammendmant right to carry. Unfortunetly some one called. They don't understand and or are not comfortable with it. We have to come by and check things out.I told him I understand that. I dont see anything wrong here he said. I said yes we are here with my son we are enjoying the park but now its time to go he's fussy got a muddy wet pair of jeans and we are leaving. He was ok and said come back anytime then he added anytime the parks open.

Man! I've actively (everyday) open caried for about 7 months now with no police interaction then I get 2 in less than 48 hours. This one was more positive. I should not have talked to Tanned guy at all other then to ask if I was being detained. I guess the more it happens the better I will get at it. Like anything else in life

:celebrate

G

imported post

I think you did very well.

Personally though I prefer the question... "Am I free to go?"

Nonetheless, you did very well under the circumstances.

Tao

imported post

Make sure to follow up with a letter to the supervisor, complimenting what you thought was good, and making sure to emphasize that Mr. Tanned knuckle dragger needs to be taught the law (thinks CPL prevents open carry), before he gets the department sued by escalating something that needn't be.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

You obviously offended some whiney soccer mom nearby. You handled it well. I personally wouldn't contact the supervisor. Nothing happened as you were free to go at any time during the interaction. If tanned knuckle dragger had made an issue of it or affirmed that you were detained or not free to walk then definatley I would make a stink.

ChuckWagon-SMVM

imported post

I actually did follow up. I tried to speak to the the one Sargent that did most of the talking lets call him "Face man" as my lady friend informed me he was Hot. But Face man was on a call the other SGT's real first name is Denny we talked at the station for about 15-20 minutes about 3 hours after the incident. It was a great conversation SGT Denny is a 25 year veteran and a very personable fellow. He went ahead and added info re: Open carry to their roll call briefings. He again informed me that I wasn't detained and that they the SGT's had made sure the officers who responded knew that open carry was legal and that they could not detain for just that. He was impressed with my knowledge of gun laws and asked me a question re: Ohio law. He said they had had a education briefing a while back regarding the legality of OC but agreed that they need to make sure the newer officers were up to speed. One of the other officers at the station peeked out and saw my son and went back in the office and got him some coloring books and a toy badge. I believe Sgt. Denny is sincere and we are making some strides. The recent positive press is great.

:celebrate

FatboyCykes

imported post

Awesome! You handled it well and so did they. Hopefully after a few more ridiculous showings like this, they will finally get those 911 operators to ask some more questions so they don't have to waste taxpayer money by sending out 4 or 5 cars and multiple officers.

Lol, I probably would've stayed until they left just as an example for the soccer mom or whoever called, my kids never seem to mind muddy wet jeans, to my wife's chagrin :p

Well done sir!

Jblack44

imported post

ChuckWagon-SMVM wrote:
I was trying to wrangle my son to me, he was not on his best behavior and it took a few requests. They then reengaged me in conversation something to the effect open carrying huh? I said yes and I volunteered that I also have a CPL (I know, I did not have to) He (tanned guy) responds that "you know carrying open like that violates your CPL" I responded no actually I emphatically know that is not true. He responded something to the effect of so were idiots, your calling us idiots. So they are being briefed about it during rollcall , but he still doesn't know that it's not a vilation of your CPL???
At which point my son had finally moved close enough for me to latch on to him and we moved back to the playscape area. Tanned guy and his partner kept back about 10 yards or so but shadowed us over to the picnic table where we had been sitting. We were at the park with a lady friend of mine she saw the parade behind me(she had been with me at Buffalo Wild wings Sunday night) She took care of my son at this time 2-3 more cars had arrived. Including 2 Sargents tanned guy and the new guys conregratted. So, again they said you weren't detained, but yet they followed you to your picnic table to continue the fishing.

Hello how are you I know your open carrying and that it is legal. I said yes it is am I being detained. He said something to the effect no absolutely not. Did the other officers say you were you most certainly are not you have a 2nd ammendmant right to carry. Unfortunetly some one called. They don't understand and or are not comfortable with it.We have to come by and check things out.I told him I understand that. I dont see anything wrong here he said. So why the hell isn't part of there "checking things out" include talking to the person who called?? Explain to them that what your doing is legal,so LAC don't need to be harrassed.

Tao

imported post

The reason we're pushing this, is because somehow the notion that a CPL prevents you from open carrying got spread around, and it has caused/contributed to unlawful detainments and other assertions of force by petty tyrants. Their ego is such, that they cannot be told they're wrong and admit it in the midst of a stop. This leads to them doggedly sticking to their incorrect belief, until corrected by a higher up, which can take quite some time.

I would still followup with a letter, saying that you're impressed by the chat you had at the station, but the individual officer (tanned) and/or all the new guys, need to be set straight on that point of the law.

1245A Defender

imported post

He (tanned guy) responds that "you know carrying open like that violates your CPL" I responded no actually I emphatically know that is not true. He responded something to the effect of so were idiots, your calling us idiots. I said absolutely not your the police and you should really have a better handle on the law.

that there is some kind of hard core fishing,, what does the cop wanna hear?
it would be legal to say " yes ", but that would be rude.

you done good overall!