• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State's police chiefs seek veto of guns-in-bars bill

OakRidgeStars

imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/03/states-police-chiefs-seek-veto-gunsinbars-bill

VIRGINIA BEACH - Calling guns in bars a "recipe for disaster," the state's police chiefs have pleaded with Gov. Bob McDonnell to veto legislation that would ease Virginia's concealed weapon laws.
Virginia Beach police Chief Jake Jacocks Jr. sent a letter to McDonnell last week on behalf of the state association of chiefs comparing the combination of firearms and alcohol with drinking and driving.
"We can fully expect that at some point in the future a disagreement that today would likely end up in a verbal confrontation, or a bar fight, will inevitably end with gunfire if you sign this legislation into law," Jacocks wrote.
SB334's requirement that anybody with a gun is prohibited from drinking and could be charged with a misdemeanor is "absurd," Jacocks said, and can't be enforced.
On Tuesday, Jacocks got support from Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms, a McDonnell supporter and gun owner.
"Not only is it stupid," Sessoms said, "I think it could be a fatal mistake."
But their efforts seem unlikely to sway McDonnell.
McDonnell will sign the bill, said Taylor Thornley, the governor's spokeswoman. While McDonnell appreciates the work and comments of the police chiefs, he will "continue to protect and uphold the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens," Thornley said.
The bill deals only with concealed weapons; in Virginia it's legal to carry a gun openly without a permit.
SB334 and its House counterpart, along with legislation that allows gun owners without concealed-carry permits to store firearms in locked vehicle compartments, were among the gun-friendly bills approved by the General Assembly this year. The Democratic-controlled Senate formed a special subcommittee late in the session to kill several gun-rights bills, including a repeal of the state's one-handgun-purchase-a-month limit.
The police chiefs association has opposed the guns in bars bill in the past, but it also had a more sympathetic ear. Former Democratic Gov. Timothy M. Kaine twice vetoed such bills.
The Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police didn't come out strongly against the bills during the session because it was spread too thin trying to preserve state funding for police departments, said Dana Schrad, the organization's executive director.
"We didn't duck and cover on this one," Schrad said. "We had to prioritize on budget issues."
The Virginia Sheriffs' Association, the other large law-enforcement lobby in the General Assembly, did not take a stand on the legislation, said John Jones, the organization's executive director.
"No, we're not going down that road," Jones said.
But association members recently did vote on a resolution supporting Second Amendment rights, Jones said.
Jacocks and Schrad did acknowledge that the letter was a last-ditch effort.
"It was important to let him know directly how we felt about this issue," Jacocks said.
If police across Virginia see an increase in gun violence at bars, the association will come back and ask the General Assembly to reconsider its decision, Schrad said.
Statistics on gun-related incidents at establishments with liquor licenses were not available Tuesday.

vt357

imported post

OakRidgeStars wrote:
SB334's requirement that anybody with a gun is prohibited from drinking and could be charged with a misdemeanor is "absurd," Jacocks said, and can't be enforced.
I love this quote, and I've heard from many other places. By that logic, the current law banning concealed carry in restaurants can't be enforced. But what was I thinking, logic does not compute with the brains of anti-gunners.

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

vt357 wrote:
OakRidgeStars wrote:
I love this quote, and I've heard from many other places. By that logic, the current law banning concealed carry in restaurants can't be enforced. But what was I thinking, logic does not compute with the brains of anti-gunners.
I know, I find that so funny. What stops someone without a chp from carrying concealed into a bar and even drinking?

TFred

imported post

Someone made this point the other day... and it sinks in and raises a really good question...

Why are our police officers allowed to lobby the legislative process in their official capacity as servants of the public?

If you're a federal employee, this will get you in hot water! Why is it different at the state level?

Police departments enforce the law. They do not get to write the law. That should be left to the people.

Has there ever been an effort to bring this restriction to Virginia?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
Someone made this point the other day... and it sinks in and raises a really good question...

Why are our police officers allowed to lobby the legislative process in their official capacity as servants of the public?

If you're a federal employee, this will get you in hot water! Why is it different at the state level?

Police departments enforce the law. They do not get to write the law. That should be left to the people.

TFred
That's an interesting idea TFred. I'd bet the State Police Chief is NOT a registered lobbyist and is not able to represent his group.
But he does!

ODA 226

imported post

WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
vt357 wrote:
OakRidgeStars wrote:
I know, I find that so funny. What stops someone without a chp from carrying concealed into a bar and even drinking?
I work at a Hampton "Restaurant That Serves Alcohol" as a bouncer and we have thugs and other POS illegally carrying into our bar area.

As proof, last month someone left his jacket at the bar. After we closed, his wife knocked on the door and asked if we found her husbands coat. She said he got drunk and left it at the bar.

I got the coat and when I picked it up, I found a loaded Glock 19 in the jacket pocket...

Had someone that we kicked out come back with a pistol and threatened another employee. Only the honest citizens are obeying this stupid carry law. The criminals are thumbing their noses at us.

wylde007

imported post

But we'll die morally superior for having obeyed the laws that cost us our lives!

Yay, laws! They make us safe.

/sarcasm

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
Reminds me of my military days. While in uniform or representing the service you have no 1st amendment rights. As a private citizen you do. As soon as you use the "official" type of position becomes a crab boil with all the hot water.

Crash7795

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I work at a Hampton "Restaurant That Serves Alcohol" as a bouncer and we have thugs and other POS illegally carrying into our bar area.

As proof, last month someone left his jacket at the bar. After we closed, his wife knocked on the door and asked if we found her husbands coat. She said he got drunk and left it at the bar.

I got the coat and when I picked it up, I found a loaded Glock 19 in the jacket pocket...
Was that the same day you acquired a "second-hand Glock 19, gently used" for your collection? :p

buster81

imported post

Veto 17% (511 votes)
Approve 81% (2397 votes)
The bill needs more modification 1% (44 votes)
Total votes: 2952

Seems pretty obvious what the people want.

apollosmom

imported post

Guess the "Pro Freedom" vote is overwhelming the "Oppression" vote enough that the Virginian Pravda has disabled the poll to prevent more of us "non-Commonwealth's Attorneys or designated representatives" to cast our vote.

buster81

imported post

apollosmom wrote:
Guess the "Pro Freedom" vote is overwhelming the "Oppression" vote enough that the Virginian Pravda has disabled the poll to prevent more of us "non-Commonwealth's Attorneys or designated representatives" to cast our vote.

It looks like the poll is still functional.

Veto 14% (556 votes)
Approve 85% (3350 votes)
The bill needs more modification 1% (48 votes)
Total votes: 3954

ChinChin

imported post

TFred wrote:
Please note: Only "The Chiefs" are weighing in against the will of their masters. The Sheriffs don't have a problem with us exercising our rights.

It's the difference between a shield and a star.

The star is accountable directly to the people as their boss is an elected by those same people. The shield. . .not at all.

Just one of the many reasons I moved into Loudoun from Fairfax.

2a4all

imported post

OakRidgeStars wrote:

VIRGINIA BEACH - Calling guns in bars a "recipe for disaster," the state's police chiefs have pleaded with Gov. Bob McDonnell to veto legislation that would ease Virginia's concealed weapon laws.
Virginia Beach police Chief Jake Jacocks Jr. sent a letter to McDonnell last week on behalf of the state association of chiefs comparing the combination of firearms and alcohol with drinking and driving.

Our own John Fenter rebutted this on WVEC Ch 13 11:00pm news http://www.wvec.com/ (can't find link to video footage yet).

Good job, John!

The wife & I went to the St Patrick's Day festivities at City Center in NN earlier this evening. I admit to CCing (jacket on, cold), but sported my GSL button, which received many favorable comments. Also ran into CF2500rider1000.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

2a4all wrote:
OakRidgeStars wrote:

Our own John Fenter rebutted this on WVEC Ch 13 11:00pm news http://www.wvec.com/ (can't find link to video footage yet).

Good job, John!

The wife & I went to the St Patrick's Day festivities at City Center in NN earlier this evening. I admit to CCing (jacket on, cold), but sported my GSL button, which received many favorable comments. Also ran into CF2500rider1000.
If you read what this ass wrote, he keeps referring to being granted a right.

God gives OCer's rights. The Judge gives CCers PRIVILEGES!