• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault Weapons Ban Reintroduced

Hendo

imported post

Bersa.380,

Canyou adjust your font and color so that you are not yelling in color?

thanks

spike89

imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011354343_apwaxgrspecialsession2ndldwritethru.html

"Gov. Chris Gregoire asked lawmakers to tackle the state's construction and operating budgets, along with some attempts to stimulate job growth. She wants the whole thing done in a week, and she said Monday that she would veto anything that isn't related to the state's construction and operating budgets, or attempts to stimulate job growth"

Somehow we need to hold her to her word on that.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So my shotgun with barrel shroud and Knoxx spec-op stock is an "assault weapon" and my friends same model without shroud and with traditional type nylon stock is not because somehow mine is more lethal? Right... that makes as much sense as arguing that sticking a big-a$$ spoiler on a 120 horsepower Honda Civic makes it a sports car.

joeroket

imported post

spike89 wrote:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011354343_apwaxgrspecialsession2ndldwritethru.html

"Gov. Chris Gregoire asked lawmakers to tackle the state's construction and operating budgets, along with some attempts to stimulate job growth. She wants the whole thing done in a week, and she said Monday that she would veto anything that isn't related to the state's construction and operating budgets, or attempts to stimulate job growth"

Somehow we need to hold her to her word on that.
Like the no taxes word she put out during the "goober"natorial campaign.

Bersa.380

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Here is the response from Senator Berkey that I just recieved.

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding SB 6396, which seeks to establish restrictions on certain types of firearms.

Due to the procedures inherent to the Special Legislative Session, all bills are reintroduced at the status they held before the end of the regular Legislative Session. As a result SB 6396 was re-introduced, but this does not mean that it will be voted on. From my understanding the bill has not been passed out of committee and therefore it will not make it to either the House or the Senate floor for a vote this session.

Nevertheless, safe communities contribute to the quality of life we all value and want our families to enjoy. Therefore, I place a high priority on effective crime control. That includes better treatment for people with mental health or drug problems to help prevent crime, and better enforcement of existing laws.

As an example I believe rather than writing additional laws that restrict gun ownership-but are not enforced-we need better enforcement laws to ensure public safety.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I value hearing my constituents concerns. Know that I will keep your thoughts in mind when the issue is before us.

Sincerely,

Senator Jean Berkey
38th Legislative District
Nice response , I guess, sometimes I wish they would just get to the point when they write something ....... Kind'a like this:

Mr. XXXX

I am against SB 6396.

Have a good day !

Yours forever - Senator soandso

Bersa.380

imported post

Hendo wrote:
Bersa.380,

Canyou adjust your font and color so that you are not yelling in color?

thanks

One must understand the protocol of texting first, after all that's what we do here, text each other ......

ALL WORDS IN UPPER CASE IS CONSIDERED YELLING !

Thanks !

Besides I am up there in age a little and require eye-glasses, it's easier for me to make my font a little bigger, is that an issue with you also ?

joeroket

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Here is the response from Senator Berkey that I just recieved.

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding SB 6396, which seeks to establish restrictions on certain types of firearms.

Due to the procedures inherent to the Special Legislative Session, all bills are reintroduced at the status they held before the end of the regular Legislative Session. As a result SB 6396 was re-introduced, but this does not mean that it will be voted on. From my understanding the bill has not been passed out of committee and therefore it will not make it to either the House or the Senate floor for a vote this session.

Nevertheless, safe communities contribute to the quality of life we all value and want our families to enjoy. Therefore, I place a high priority on effective crime control. That includes better treatment for people with mental health or drug problems to help prevent crime, and better enforcement of existing laws.

As an example I believe rather than writing additional laws that restrict gun ownership-but are not enforced-we need better enforcement laws to ensure public safety.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I value hearing my constituents concerns. Know that I will keep your thoughts in mind when the issue is before us.

Sincerely,

Senator Jean Berkey
38th Legislative District
Nice response , I guess, sometimes I wish they would just get to the point when they write something ....... Kind'a like this:

Mr. XXXX

I am against SB 6396.

Have a good day !

Yours forever - Senator soandso

And that is exactly the response I got from Rep Mike Sells. That is one reason in a list of many that he gets my vote.

kchau

imported post

this is what i got:

Dear Kevin:

A quick note to let you know this bill was not voted on in the Judiciary Committee and will not be considered again this session for many of the reasons you stated. Thank you for taking the time to write. I appreciate hearing from you.

[X]
Sincerely,

STATE SENATOR
11th Legislative District
Chair, Ways and Means Committee
360-786-7616

tai4de2

imported post

I forgot to mention that I received a totally ass-kicking letter from 45th District Representative Roger Goodman.

It said in part

"You should be pleased to know that I completely agree with you... I warned the potential sponsors of a House version of the bill not to waste their time introducing such poorly-conceived legislation"

Nice.

Hard to imagine that this bill is really threatening... though it is irritating that it Just. Won't. Die.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Besides I am up there in age a little and require eye-glasses, it's easier for me to make my font a little bigger, is that an issue with you also ?

Hold down the control key and scroll your mouse wheel... the font will get bigger or smaller depending on the direction. Much easier than setting the font to a size 24 or running your screen resolution at 800x600. I too have vision problems but run my screen at a 1024 resolution and use the mouse wheel all the time.

Whitney

imported post

Can any one here genuinely help me out with this interpretation? Sent to my
Reps today, Thanks.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Could one of my elected representatives explain to me why SB6396 by resolution, has been reintroduced and retained in present status? I interpret the following Articles to mean the special session of the legislature is working on the budget. It seems to be a huge waste of taxpayer money to have a special session, and then reintroduce bills that failed to pass in their original form. That ranks right up there with waste fraud and abuse. Please clarify this for me.

Very Respectfully, Your neighbor and constituent.
Signed by me
Washington State Constitution Article II; Section 12,
(1) [size=Regular Sessions.]
(2) [size=Special Legislative Sessions. Special legislative sessions may be convened for a period of not more than thirty consecutive days by proclamation of the governor pursuant to Article III, section 7 of this Constitution. Special legislative sessions may also be convened for a period of not more than thirty consecutive days by resolution of the legislature upon the affirmative vote in each house of two-thirds of the members elected or appointed thereto, which vote may be taken and resolution executed either while the legislature is in session or during any interim between sessions in accordance with such procedures as the legislature may provide by law or resolution.]The resolution convening the legislature shall specify a purpose or purposes for the convening of a special session, and any special session convened by the resolution shall consider only measures germane to the purpose or purposes expressed in the resolution, unless by resolution adopted during the session upon the affirmative vote in each house of two-thirds of the members elected or appointed thereto, an additional purpose or purposes are expressed. The specification of purpose by the governor pursuant to Article III, section 7 of this Constitution shall be considered by the legislature but shall not be mandatory.
[size=(3) Committees of the Legislature. Standing and special committees of the legislature shall meet and conduct official business pursuant to such rules as the legislature may adopt. [[b]AMENDMENT 68,[/b] 1979 Substitute Senate Joint Resolution No. 110, p 2286. Approved November 6, 1979.]]
[size=]
Article III section 7 referenced above;
EXTRA LEGISLATIVE SESSIONS. He may, on extraordinary occasions, convene the legislature by proclamation, in which shall be stated the purposes for which the legislature is convened.
Extraordinary sessions to reconsider vetoes: Art. 3 Section 12.

The problem with America is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bersa.380

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

Hold down the control key and scroll your mouse wheel... the font will get bigger or smaller depending on the direction. Much easier than setting the font to a size 24 or running your screen resolution at 800x600. I too have vision problems but run my screen at a 1024 resolution and use the mouse wheel all the time.
Wow , didn't know you could do that .... COOL !

Still going to write in blue when I feel like it .... LOL !

Tawnos

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

Wow , didn't know you could do that .... COOL !

Still going to write in blue when I feel like it .... LOL !
If you're running Vista or Win7, press windows key, type text, then choose "Make text and other items larger or smaller". follow instructions

You can run at your monitors native resolution (so it won't be blocky like if you run at 1024x768), and you can scale up the size of *everything* on the screen.

killchain

imported post

Yeah, if this abomination ever gets passed (and hopefully with our loyal legislators it won't)... well... I believe every single firearm I own would violate their laws.

Especially the FNP45. 15+1 of .45ACP. :D

acmariner99

imported post

Here is a copy of what I sent to my legislators.

Senator and Representatives:

I have been a longtime resident of Federal Way, but am now going to school in the State of Arizona. I am still a Washington state resident and I must still follow Washington State law as I will be returning in the summer so the laws you pass will affect me. I have been repeatedly disappointed with the actions of the Legislature in Olympia. The reintroduction of SB 6396 (Assault Weapons Ban) is just another example. It is my understanding that this bill was struck down by a vast majority of Legislators before it even got to the floor for a vote. Why did the small handful of Legislators that voted for this bill not get the message? As a constituent of your district I implore you to focus on matters of greater importance, such as fixing the state budget and finding ways to bring jobs back to Washington. The recent repeal of a voter approved initiative that places heavy restrictions on the State to increase taxes is also another example of the government of this State ignoring the wishes of the people who elected you. If you vote to restrict our freedoms or increase my taxes, you will not be receiving my vote. Even if I did support a ban on assault weapons, the state would have to spend MILLIONS of dollars it doesn't have to enforce it. Focus on the problems at hand and stop restricting our freedoms. As a constituent of your district I order you to not vote for this bill. I grew up in Washington State and Federal Way. The state of affairs of wasteful spending, reckless tax increases, ignoring the wishes of the people, and the restrictions of personal freedoms guaranteed to us by the US and WA State Constitutions is not enough to make me want to return to a very beautiful State for my career. Consider that of your other constituents as well and consider why one of our largest employers (Boeing) wants to pull out of the area. Thank you for your time.