• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX college students win empty holster protest lawsuit

KBCraig

imported post

Text and video at the link:

http://cbs11tv.com/business/education/Tarrant.County.College.2.1567232.html

When some Tarrant County College students staged a protest for the right to carry licensed, concealed handguns, they didn't realize it would turn into a three-year fight over empty gun holsters.

The college said it didn't want students wearing the empty holsters on campus. The school was afraid other students might think there were guns inside the holsters or that some students might use the occasion to bring guns to campus.

As a safety precaution, the college confined the concealed handguns student protests to a 'free speech zone' and wouldn't allow any gun holsters on campus.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) the restriction as violation of first amendment rights - the freedom of expression. They took the battle to court and a federal judge has ruled in favor of the students.

(more at link, above)

neuroblades

imported post

BRAVO! And full congratulations go out to all the TCC students that aren't afraid to take stand against a college that obviously cound NOT care less about it's students beyond the money THEY PAY for their educations!

Nationwide, ALL colleges have the RIGHT to allow CC, IF they so choose! Colleges acorss the nation should allow the students themselves to vote for what they want because it's the students whose lives are potentially at risk and it's the students who are paying for their education and paying the administrations salaries! When the college nationwide are allowing the students FREE EDUCATION, then and ONLY THEN should the college have the right to completely deny the students due recourse to federal law!

neuroblades

imported post

Sometime back I was reading an article in Guns & Ammo or Combat Handguns about the carry of sidearms on college campus. It's part of the federal law about carrying in school zones and such.

Federally, the college's nationwide now have the legal rights to ALLOW CC on their respective campus. The issue of course being that of getting the college to OK that and agree to it. In Utah, it's my understanding that ALL college's in the state have OK'ed it. I might be incorrect though.

I know that in my home state of Kentucky, there are some cases going on in reference to carrying on campus. We're all waiting to hear how it all turns out.

sevenplusone

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
Sometime back I was reading an article in Guns & Ammo or Combat Handguns about the carry of sidearms on college campus. It's part of the federal law about carrying in school zones and such.

Federally, the college's nationwide now have the legal rights to ALLOW CC on their respective campus. The issue of course being that of getting the college to OK that and agree to it. In Utah, it's my understanding that ALL college's in the state have OK'ed it. I might be incorrect though.

I know that in my home state of Kentucky, there are some cases going on in reference to carrying on campus. We're all waiting to hear how it all turns out.
Not sure if it's what you are talking about or not but the 1000ft school zone rule only applies to k-12 schools and is specifically exempted by a state issued license/permit and can be exempted other ways by the state. Admittedly it's been a while since I re-checked it all, but it's definitely worth looking at the actual wording of the law and not a magazine's interpretation.

neuroblades

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
neuroblades wrote:

Not sure if it's what you are talking about or not but the 1000ft school zone rule only applies to k-12 schools and is specifically exempted by a state issued license/permit and can be exempted other ways by the state. Admittedly it's been a while since I re-checked it all, but it's definitely worth looking at the actual wording of the law and not a magazine's interpretation.

I had just read about this a few weeks back were we're fighting to have the city of Ashland remove the "NO GUN" policy from all park signs here. Under Kentucky law, parks and libraries are supposed to be OC friendly zones.

What I'm not yet clear on is what in specific is exempted by being CCDW licensed. For example, even without a CC license, one can legally drove by any school as long as the sideaerm is legal within the vehicle, one can even go on school property as long as the sidearm is legal within the vehicle such as going to see a ball game or such. Of course OC would be illegal without CCDW as well I assume that OC WITH a CCDW would be as well.

I'll be going into my CCDW class Saturday so I hope to get this certain question clarified at that time. I have been doing ALOT of research and studying prior to this class though. Been deeply into Massad Ayoob's book on Caoncealed Carry as well as research KRS but I've yet to find the specifics in reference to CCDW exemptions for the school areas.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

neuroblades wrote:
sevenplusone wrote:
neuroblades wrote:

I had just read about this a few weeks back were we're fighting to have the city of Ashland remove the "NO GUN" policy from all park signs here. Under Kentucky law, parks and libraries are supposed to be OC friendly zones.

What I'm not yet clear on is what in specific is exempted by being CCDW licensed. For example, even without a CC license, one can legally drove by any school as long as the sideaerm is legal within the vehicle, one can even go on school property as long as the sidearm is legal within the vehicle such as going to see a ball game or such. Of course OC would be illegal without CCDW as well I assume that OC WITH a CCDW would be as well.

I'll be going into my CCDW class Saturday so I hope to get this certain question clarified at that time. I have been doing ALOT of research and studying prior to this class though. Been deeply into Massad Ayoob's book on Caoncealed Carry as well as research KRS but I've yet to find the specifics in reference to CCDW exemptions for the school areas.

NOTE: The Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act Restricts Carry to Permit Holders

You can start your research on Kentucky gun laws here:
http://www.opencarry.org/ky.html

Yata hey

Rottie

imported post

neuroblades wrote:

You are right and wrong all at the same time:D. Universities and colleges in Utah have not specifically OKed the CC of guns on campus but it does not matter because of this wonderful law.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE53/htm/53_05a010200.htm

Several years back the AG of Utah sued the University of Utah for trying to enforce a ban on guns on the campus both the CC of them as well as possession of guns by students in dorms. The AG won in a decision rendered from the Utah state supreme court. Plus the Legislature clarified the law with the statute cited above. Now this does not apply to private colleges like Brigham Young University or Westminster, but all public colleges and universities have to allow it like it or not so long as the personhas a CFP. Hopefully your state will pass legislation similar to this so that this is a possibilityfor you in your state.