• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Florida

KennyPro

imported post

Hi I am moving from Virginia to Florida. Virginia is an open carry state. I have a CCP and Florida has reciprocity with Virginia. I am confused and want to have this right so I will ask a few questions if I may? I am new here on this site. 1. If I have a Florida ccp I still can not carry openly? Is that correct?My firearm must be out of sight if carried? ...2. If I have a ccp can I have my gun on my person while in my vehicle provided it is concealed and I have my ID and permit on me? 3. If I have a CCP can I have my weapon withinn reach in my glove box or on the seat next to me LOADED? Seems kind of crazy that I can have a CCP in the state and not carry openly? I can hide a sidearm on my person legally but not carry it in plain site? Is this correct? :cuss:Thanks guys; Kenny

brboyer

imported post

KennyPro wrote:
Hi I am moving from Virginia to Florida. Virginia is an open carry state. I have a CCP and Florida has reciprocity with Virginia. I am confused and want to have this right so I will ask a few questions if I may? I am new here on this site. 1. If I have a Florida ccp I still can not carry openly? Is that correct?My firearm must be out of sight if carried? ...2. If I have a ccp can I have my gun on my person while in my vehicle provided it is concealed and I have my ID and permit on me? 3. If I have a CCP can I have my weapon withinn reach in my glove box or on the seat next to me LOADED? Seems kind of crazy that I can have a CCP in the state and not carry openly? I can hide a sidearm on my person legally but not carry it in plain site? Is this correct? :cuss:Thanks guys; Kenny

Either with a Virgina CCP or a Florida CWFL, the same laws apply. Loaded or unloaded make no difference.

Open carry is severely restricted. You can open carry at home or work; hunting, fishing, camping; at the range, and a few more.

In the car itmust be concealed on your person or in the glove-box; center console; closed (snapped/zipped/Velcro/etc.) purse/backpack/gun case anywhere in the car.

Florida does not recognize non-resident out of state permits. This means that you must be a resident of the state that issued your license/permit for it to be valid in Florida. If you move from Virginia to Florida, your Virginia permit will no longer be valid in Florida after 90 days.

If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

KennyPro

imported post

Thank you for clearing that up. Am I going to have a major hassle changing my CCP from Virginia to a Florida CC? Do I just change it over to a Florida one ( after showing residency)and pay a fee??? Or do I have to go through a whole re-application in Florida???..Thanks in advance; Kenny

brboyer

imported post

KennyPro wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up. Am I going to have a major hassle changing my CCP from Virginia to a Florida CC? Do I just change it over to a Florida one ( after showing residency)and pay a fee??? Or do I have to go through a whole re-application in Florida???..Thanks in advance; Kenny

You will have to apply for a Florida CWFL. You can do it now, before you move and then just change the address once you get down here. That way you'll have a valid license from day 1.

There is no difference between a resident license an a non-resident license except for the address.

Here is a link to the site that will answer all of your questions.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

KennyPro

imported post

Thanks BR; That is very helpful information....I appreciate your taking time to answer. Best Regards; Kenny

jordan5995

imported post

brboyer wrote:
Open carry is severely restricted. You can open carry at home or work; hunting, fishing, camping; at the range, and a few more.

question about oc... you can oc at work? i'm a courier and usually carry concealed but would feel safer in some places if it was seen... can you explain?

brboyer

imported post

jordan5995 wrote:
brboyer wrote:

question about oc... you can oc at work? i'm a courier and usually carry concealed but would feel safer in some places if it was seen... can you explain?

Open carry at work, yes if it is a fixed place of business (your employer can still fire you for it if they want to).

If you are driving from place to place, no open carry.

bushwacker

FL permit not hornered in FL ?

never even looked till I read it here. now here is the twist that I need an answer to and a catch that needs to be addressed by the state of florida. I live in texas and I have a florida cwl. my tx address is on my cwl and has been on it sence the day I got my first one six years ago. now, how can they issue me a permit and not honored it? i went to the required class ,background check, and range criteria then paid fl $117 all in good faith that I was to recieve an honorable permit from the state of florida agriculture & consumers serivces. now I refuse to believe that I just slipped thru the cracks afterall they did send it to my texas address.Did this restriction just recently go into effect and is my cwl grandfathered in? or did florida just give this cwl to me for the sole purpose of monetary gain ( if we do this kind thing to each other we get prosecuted for being a confidence man ..or con man ) and if that is the case wouldn't that make florida a confidence state with more than one count cause they took my money again last year and sent me my second premit, however if florida was to go open carry then there really wouldn't be much of a problem here.

Last edited:

bushwacker

more from bushwacker

But wait , there's some more, if the state of florida doesn't won't to honor this permit and keep the states name in the good ,then I feel that I am due money back plus interest and that florida should do the same for all others that have been made a stooge of in this manner. and never issue these permits to out of state citizens untill they change their stance on this issue.just think how much that would cost and how much revenue would be lost on potential out of state permittees plus others that change their minds to vacation here cause they can't carry protection due to them living (for example) in texas and having utah permit....the end.

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
never even looked till I read it here. now here is the twist that I need an answer to and a catch that needs to be addressed by the state of florida. I live in texas and I have a florida cwl. my tx address is on my cwl and has been on it sence the day I got my first one six years ago. now, how can they issue me a permit and not honored it? i went to the required class ,background check, and range criteria then paid fl $117 all in good faith that I was to recieve an hornorable permit from the state of florida agriculture & consumers serivces. now I refuse to believe that I just slipped thru the cracks afterall they did send it to my texas address.Did this restriction just recently go into effect and is my cwl grandfathered in? or did florida just give this cwl to me for the sole purpose of monetary gain ( if we do this kind thing to each other we get prosecuted for being a confidence man ..or con man ) and if that is the case wouldn't that make florida a confidence state with more than one count cause they took my money again last year and sent me my second premit, however if florida was to go open carry then there really wouldn't be much of a problem here.

You're confusing your Florida license, which is obviously valid in Florida, with Florida's reciprocity law, Fla. Stat. § 790.015, which only recognizes reciprocal states' licenses if the licensee is a resident of the issuing state or a Florida resident of not more than 90 days.

If your Florida license is not expired, it is valid in Florida regardless of your state of residence.

bushwacker

still don't see the light

okey....... i read what you wrote and do appreciate the reply however i still understand from what you are saying is that I have to be a resident of the state that I got my permit from....of which i am not ....I have fl permit and texas residence so that counts me out on that part . the other concession is if I had texas permit and moved to fl then it will be reconized up to 90 days which tells me ...live in fl -have tx permit -got 90 to move back or get fl one cause from what i understand of what you wrote fl only reconizes long term permit if you get it from where you reside of which I didn't . i still live in tx with my fl permit. I still don't see a clear escape from the clutches of the fuzz on this one

brboyer

okey....... i read what you wrote and do appreciate the reply however i still understand from what you are saying is that I have to be a resident of the state that I got my permit from....of which i am not ....I have fl permit and texas residence so that counts me out on that part . the other concession is if I had texas permit and moved to fl then it will be reconized up to 90 days which tells me ...live in fl -have tx permit -got 90 to move back or get fl one cause from what i understand of what you wrote fl only reconizes long term permit if you get it from where you reside of which I didn't . i still live in tx with my fl permit. I still don't see a clear escape from the clutches of the fuzz on this one

Your Florida permit is valid in Florida, no matter where you live.

If, for example, you lived in Arizona, but had a Utah permit, the Utah permit would not be recoginized in Florida.

FL2011

I'm a little confused, why do you think that FL is not honoring your FL permit?

Like the others have said, you HAVE a FL permit so FL will honor that. Also, since you are a TX resident, even if you had a TX permit FL would honor that since it would be a permit in your state of residence.

bushwacker

From what i read

I am just checking to see if it matters that I'm not a resident of fl. you know how those little loopholes can lead to unwanted events...right ? thanks guys for clearing up my doubts from what i read.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Section 790 is a convoluted mess. Confusion is understandable.

The whole thing needs an overhaul and could easily say the same things with 1/4 of the words.