• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the deal w/holsters? (insert Jerry Sienfield smile here)

VietVet68

imported post

I would like to talk about holsters. In Sept. 2009 I bought my 1st hand gun, after I received my CPL, and since that day I've gotta say that holsters just confuse me, and I hope I'm not alone.
My list of guns looks like this:
-Walther PPK/S .380
-Glock 19C 9mm
-Kimber Pro Crimson Carry .45
Beyond that I have had on order since Dec. a Fusion 1911, the only reason I did this is because I was made an offer that couldn't be refused, believe me, it's true.
I can honestly say that as of today I haven't found a holster yet for any of these guns that functions the way I think they should. The closest I've come so far is a "DeSantis I/OWB leather" for my Walther, I use it strictly as an IWB but I rarely use it due to the gun being a .380. I have a "Tucker Silent Thunder" for my G19 but it doesn't hold the gun up & tight like I want and I don't know why. Lastly I've got a black leather "Galco" OWB for my Kimber but It's the same problem. One last thing to mention is that in anticipation of my Fusion I ordered from Tucker, in Dec., their "HF1 Belt Holster" and, the "HF2 Holster" and a "Double Angled Magazine Holder". All items are stamped and the color is "Black Cherry". The reason for this last item is that I intend to put this rig with the Fusion as a gift for my son, after I , of course, have fondled it for a few years.

When I leave home I always carry my G19 and lately, I've just been shoving it down the front of my jeans because I'm so irritated with the holster. This has gotten me to thinking, why do we need belts and holsters? I'm tellin' ya that it's very comfortable to carry my G19 naked. I'm about 5'9", 150lbs.

Is their a holster out there that can meet my expectations, high & tight, just like a Marine Corps haircut? If you have any suggestions I would really like to hear them, thanks.
Jack

FightingGlock19

imported post

I use the MTAC Minotaur Neutral Cant holster to appendix carry my Glock 19. If you're going to go without a holster, the Raven VanGuard is the way to go.

RebelHell

imported post

Holsters are very important for protecting the bang switch from being pulled when you don't want it to. Everyone will have a different oppinion as to what holster works best so you will just have to try different ones. I find most problems with holsters are easily resolved with a high quality gun belt. A good holster has to have good support.

Vandal

imported post

Start with a good belt then you will end up going though a bunch of holsters. A normal jeans or dress belt won't hold the weight of a gun, you need a good gun belt from someplace like CrossBreed or Wilderness Tactical.

When I had my XD and Kimber (just have the Kimber now) I had a small box of holsters. Trial and error seems to work best for finding what I like.

230therapy

imported post

So your requirements (buried in the post) are:

1) Gun is held high for presentation
2) Tight fit to the body

(Using Glock 19 since that's what I have)

The DeSantis Thumb-break Scabbard holds the gun very high. It's an OWB pancake, so it doesn't hold it as tight, but it's quite good.

The real issue is probably forward cant. The DeSantis Cozy Partner holds the gun fairly high with almost extreme forward cant. It is an excellent concealment holster with a tension screw. The only downside is that it does not have anything to hold the mouth of the holster open. If the holster gets sweaty or wet, it will collapse slightly. This is normally not a problem since in the real world, you'll have ample time to reholster (gettin' it out will be a bit more urgent). This may become a problem in a gun course.

Look around for holsters with 20+ degrees of forward cant. Comp-Tac offers several extremely adjustable holsters. You can also call them to get their recommendations...they will modify their holsters to meet your specifications.

VietVet68

imported post

230therapy wrote:
So your requirements (buried in the post) are:

1) Gun is held high for presentation
2) Tight fit to the body

(Using Glock 19 since that's what I have)

The DeSantis Thumb-break Scabbard holds the gun very high. It's an OWB pancake, so it doesn't hold it as tight, but it's quite good.

The real issue is probably forward cant. The DeSantis Cozy Partner holds the gun fairly high with almost extreme forward cant. It is an excellent concealment holster with a tension screw. The only downside is that it does not have anything to hold the mouth of the holster open. If the holster gets sweaty or wet, it will collapse slightly. This is normally not a problem since in the real world, you'll have ample time to reholster (gettin' it out will be a bit more urgent). This may become a problem in a gun course.

Look around for holsters with 20+ degrees of forward cant. Comp-Tac offers several extremely adjustable holsters. You can also call them to get their recommendations...they will modify their holsters to meet your specifications.

230therapy,

Your summary is on the button with one exception. Since I posted this topic I have determined that IWB is also a requirement.

In addition I've been noticing that the gun range/shop that I go to is increasing it's inventory of IWB holsters frpm Galco & Desantis and they look pretty good. They also are including a steel reinforcement around the mouth of the holster.

I have ordered a great leather belt from Tucker and when I get it I'll go back & review the usefulness of the basket of holsters I've accumulated.

Thanks for your post, it was helpful.

Jack

Vandal

imported post

For, IMO, the best IWB look at Milt Sparks or CrossBreed. There is a long wait for a Milt Sparks Versa Max II because they are so damn good. CrossBreed Super-Tuck is my number 2 choice.

Alexcabbie

imported post

There are a number of holsters that can be worn outside the waistband but inside the belt for a snugger fit. IWB is okay, but day-to-day if I am CCW and have to remove my jacket or whatnot, I sort of like it to be seen that I have a quality leather holster as opposed to appearing to just having shoved the weapon in my waistband like a street thug.. (and that moment of hesitation the BGs get when they see quality leather and try to figure if they are dealing with a cop can be priceless in terms of allowing you to get the hell out of there before conflict starts).

VietVet68

imported post

Today I was able to get my order in for a Versa Max II for my 1911's. Also, I was on Brownell's web site Monday and they had, in stock, a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 so I ordered it and it came in this morning. Delivery is 26-30 weeks.
My only comment at this time is in regards to the belt loops size. I ordered 1.5" and the belt I'm using today is one of those Galco nylon trainer belts and it's really tight in those loops. I probably order 1 3/4" loops if I decide to keep the holster.
My real belt should be in soon, it's from Beltman and I've heard they are a bit thicker than most other belts and if that's true I'll definitely need the bigger loops.
Jack

david.ross

imported post

VietVet68 wrote:
When I leave home I always carry my G19 and lately, I've just been shoving it down the front of my jeans because I'm so irritated with the holster.
Sounds like a negligent incident waiting to happen.

I recommend if you're going to carry a Glock, to carry using Safariland's Raptor III holster with level V upgrade. Buy yourself a slim duty belt, and just put on the belt when you leave somewhere.

Belt on,
Belt off.
You can't get any simpler.

Ole Man Dan

imported post

The 'Mexican Carry' looks great on TV, but is not safe.
Be careful what you point your gun at...
(Don't point it at anything you can't afford to loose)
You need the protection of a holster to keep parts of your clothing or body from dragging on the trigger,
and causing an A.D.

***Ask me about a former Detective partner of mine. (GPD)
He shot himself in the Butt with a .45 ACP 'Safety Slug'.
The hole in the cheek of his behind was the size of a silver dollar.