• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ban on assault weapons makes its way to the Illinois House

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ban on assault weapons makes its way to the Illinois House

BY CHRIS ESSIG, The Southern Springfield Bureau | Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:58 am |

SPRINGFIELD-An Illinois ban on assault weapons gained initial traction on Wednesday. A House committee dominated by Chicago Democrats approved the measure on a vote of 7-4. It now makes its way to the full House.

The hot button issue has been proposed frequently since a federal ban on semiautomatic weapons expired in 2004. But it has failed to become law in Illinois.
The issue showcased the ideological difference between gun opponents, who are supported by Chicago Democrats, and gun advocates, who are supported by Downstate lawmakers. Some law enforcement members say the weapons are tools for murder, while gun advocates say a ban would impede on their Second Amendment rights.

"They are not designed for sport, they are designed to kill humans quickly and efficiently," said state Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago, who sponsored the legislation.

Many high-profile shootings have involved assault weapons, including a recent case in Chicago where three teens were killed by an AK47, noted James Jackson, an assistant superintendent at the Chicago Police Department.

"Assault weapons remain a very real problem for law enforcement," Jackson told members of the House Executive Committee.

But gun advocates say the weapons are indeed designed for hunting. They also say that gun manufacturers would be run out of the state because the legislation includes a ban on manufacturing assault weapons.

"Sixty five Illinois manufactures are going to leave the state because they won't be able to service their clients," said Todd Vandermyde, a lobbyist for the National Rifle Association.

State Rep. Joseph Lyons, D-Chicago, raised concerns that the ban wouldn't do enough to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. "No matter what we try to do, the mutts of the world are going to find ways to get guns," he said.
He, however, voted in favor of the measure. State Rep. Dan Brady, R-Bloomington, voted against it.

The legislation is House Bill 5751.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/article_a82c9430-31db-11df-be26-001cc4c03286.html

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=5751&GAID=10&SessionID=76&LegID=51102

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault weapon attachment, any .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge. Provides that beginning 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Provides that these provisions do not apply to a person who possessed a prohibited weapon, device, or attachment before the effective date of this amendatory Act if the person has provided proof of ownership to the Department of State Police within 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act. Provides that on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act, such person may transfer such device only to an heir, an individual residing in another state maintaining that device in another state, or a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer. Specifies penalties for violations. Provides exemptions. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Effective immediately.

canadian

imported post

What's an "assault" weapon? I was assaulted with a frying pan once. Does this mean everyone in Illinois will now have to eat their eggs poached instead of fried or scrambled?

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey Canadian,

A frying pan is only an assault weapon if it is not your wife that is using it on you. If it is your wifeusing it then it is a spousal disciplinary measure :lol:

eye95

imported post

canadian wrote:
What's an "assault" weapon? I was assaulted with a frying pan once. Does this mean everyone in Illinois will now have to eat their eggs poached instead of fried or scrambled?
It's an assault pan if you don't use it for hunting.

If you do use a frying pan to take down a buck, get him good with the first clunk. Otherwise, you just tick him off.

eye95

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
As it was pointed out in the article, apparently they do not care about the loss of jobs this would cause. Armalite and Springfield Armory, etc would have to relocate.
Fortunately, there are a lot of towns named Springfield in the U.S. If I were the mayor of one of them, I'd issue a personal invitation.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is absurd on so many levels. Clearly IL cannot afford to lose manufacturers and jobs yet that will be the first casualty of this law. Next, there are many people who travel to and through IL with their firearms properly cased who will now be committing a felony just by spending the night with family, friends or in a IL motel with their even unloaded 13 round mag locked in a gun case, an unacceptable risk further reducing tourism and visitation to IL. Several significant towns in IL are on the border with adjacent states without such absurd restrictions and the more affluent will just leave and move "next door" something that is already happening in some areas due to IL taxes and other regulation.

This is an emotionally devised law that is going to cost IL jobs, tourism, manufacturing and further erosion of an already bleeding tax base. Just the economic argument against it is profound. The constitutional, social and crime control arguments about it only further highlight the stupidity.

Pace

imported post

"Mutts" interesting. It's a derogatory term used by Chicago cops, that says that criminals are inbred, lowest of the low of the low, and has racist intonations. Wow

"State Rep. Joseph Lyons, D-Chicago, raised concerns that the ban wouldn't do enough to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. "No matter what we try to do, the mutts of the world are going to find ways to get guns," he said."

Old Grump

imported post

Ex-cop, drunkard and willing to take bribes in order to push for state contracts. I can't take this clown seriously on any issue. Another reason I'm glad I'm back in Wisconsin and not still in Illinois. Even by Chicago standards Rep. Acevedo is a loser.

eye95

imported post

Mutts are kinda the opposite of inbred. ;)

Pedigreed would be the inbreds. And, they usually have the genetic flaws that come from inbreeding.

But, I get your point.

Although he didn't say it well, Lyons had a point, too. Most regulations don't stop the bad guys from getting guns. I just get the impression that, despite this statement, Lyons wants more regulation.

A_Berkowitz

imported post

I'm not sure, but I think an "assault rifle" is the name for the AR-15 thingie that everyone keeps talking about

eye95

imported post

If you are not sure, do some research.

AR-15s were created by ArmaLite. They designated the ArmaLite rifles they developed with AR-xx (xx, of course, being the actual model number).

M

McX

imported post

well, i'm sure every law abiding citizen will feel much safer knowing that assault style firearms will only be in the hands of criminals, and the police, and the military.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A_Berkowitz wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think an "assault rifle" is the name for the AR-15 thingie that everyone keeps talking about
NO an AR-15 is NOT an Assault Rifle. Because as defined below, civilian AR-15 are not capable of selective fire ( meaning Not able to fire in full auto.)

Definition The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", as in "to storm a position"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler[1][/sup] to describe the Maschinenpistole 44, subsequently re-christened Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first true assault rifle that served to popularize the concept.
The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle#cite_note-1[/sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle#cite_note-2[/sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle#cite_note-3[/sup]
Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles that share designs with assault rifles such as the AR-15 (which the M16 rifle is based on) are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus not selective fire. Belt-fed weapons (such as the M249 SAW) or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines. However, in this case, the M249 SAW has the ability for both being fed by belt or detachable box magazine.
The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.
The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."[5][/sup]
In Russia term "assault rifle" ("Avtomat") is defined in state standard GOST 28653-90 (ГОСТ 28653-90 «Оружие стрелковое. Термины и определения):
32. Rifle — rifled small arm, designed to hold and control when shooting with two hands from the shoulder.
35. Carbine — lightweight rifle with a shortened barrel.
36. Assault rifle — automatic carbine.
37. Submachinegun — Assault rifle, designed to fire pistol cartridge.