• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police, Restraining Orders, and More Media Haplophobia

mahkagari

imported post

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22810496/detail.html

Watch the video. A domestic violence offender fell through the cracks and is a Denver Police officer.But if you watch the televisednews report, you would think the only problem is that he's allowed to carry a gun. The references to him legally carrying outnumber the worry that he'll abuse his badge toharm his exten to one.

cscitney87

imported post

Mahkagari, Do you feel that the Denver PD should have a uniform policy regarding restraining orders or do you feel that Denver PD should specifically address each issue and make a decision in detail? I don't feel that a blanket policy would work well. Police officers are targets of abuse as well. Sometimes, a lien is filed against an officer along with a restraining order. Usually people's actions are unprovoked, but there are always exceptions. I would say that an officer should have the issue address specifically. To make sure that officers aren't the victims of abuse. I have no opinion in this specific case though.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5410277_file-report-against-police.html
How to File a Report Against Police | eHow.comIf that is the case, you have the option to file a... ... How to File a Lien Against a Defendant's Property ·
http://www.ehow.comLegalCriminal LawCriminal Law Basics

"Do you think there's value in tracking restraining orders in a police department?" asked Ferrugia."Absolutely, I think we should know the facts and circumstances of the conduct of our officers that may have, and I underline, may have some bearing on their performance as police officers," said LaCabe.The CALL7 Investigators have learned the Denver Police Department does not track who has a civil restraining order, why they have it, or how many officers in its employ have one."It's like any behavior. If an officer doesn't self-report, or if no one reports it to us, there's really no way for us to know," said LaCabe.

mahkagari

imported post

I do. I don't think an attempted restraining order or being charged but not convicted of domestic violence should have bearing, but if a judge has decreed there is enough reason for you to have a such an order against you, moreover a PERMANENT restraining order, then yes, I believe that should call your abilities as a LEO into question enough to exclude you from the line of work. It shouldn't be up to the department. That's what the original judge is for. If it's a temporary restraining order decades ago, I don't know. Probably not. If you have a history of action that gets even a temporary restraining order against you, then I don't really want to be the casualty that gets the LEO put on temporary administrative leave.

Pace

imported post

Despite what the news wants us to think, there is assumption of innocence before the law. If there was criminal charges and he was found guilty, that is another story.

This is one perosn, who might be telling the truth, versus another person.

Anyone can get a restraining order easily, that's the other issue. Judges make them easily available because generally there is no "harm" in them.

mahkagari wrote:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22810496/detail.html

Watch the video. A domestic violence offender fell through the cracks and is a Denver Police officer.But if you watch the televisednews report, you would think the only problem is that he's allowed to carry a gun. The references to him legally carrying outnumber the worry that he'll abuse his badge toharm his exten to one.

cscitney87

imported post

Exactly my point Pace. Restraining Orders are "a dime a dozen" in some court rooms. Liens filed against the Defendants property (house primarily) are not uncommon either. Thanks for the response OP.

zig-zag

imported post

I thought that if you had a restraining order agains't you that you would have to turn your firearm over to the LEO until your case is settled or the order is lifted. Has anyone else heard of this?

CaveMan

imported post

You are partially correct Zig Zag. You cannot posses a firearm but you don't have to turn it over to a LEO. You can leave them with a friend or family member as long as there legal to posses a firearm.

Pace

imported post

Is this ANY restraining order? Really?

Judges never deny restraining orders because there is no reason. It just sets penalties for violating them, but doesn't do anything else.

That is definitively weird, because a restraining order is not a sentence or decision of guilt. It's just "keep away, don't threaten" or the actual penalty is worse.

zig-zag wrote:
I thought that if you had a restraining order agains't you that you would have to turn your firearm over to the LEO until your case is settled or the order is lifted. Has anyone else heard of this?

cscitney87

imported post

Yup it's sad but True that Restraining Orders require more than hearsay- a police report- or witnesses willing to testify. Anybody can call 911 and "suspect their ex-boyfriend" was the Man they just saw peeping through the window.

Two, Three, Four more 911 calls in one year of similar fashion- the Ex Boyfriend gets a call from an investigator; his story checks out, no charges are filed.

The restraining order may still be issued to the ex-boyfriend; on behalf of the girlfriend, as a precautionary. More often than not, the judge is human, and will make a decision based partly on emotions and past experiences. Who knows what could happen.

zig-zag

imported post

Thanks weaponize you are right, I forgot about that part, thanks for the heads up.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I don't feel that a blanket policy would work well. Police officers are targets of abuse as well. Sometimes, a lien is filed against an officer along with a restraining order. Usually people's actions are unprovoked, but there are always exceptions. I would say that an officer should have the issue address specifically. To make sure that officers aren't the victims of abuse.
I agree wholeheartedly. It matters not where a man works, or what he does for a living - he's still a man and has the domestic same issues as the rest of us.