• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Chuck E Cheese yesterday

Aryk45XD

imported post

I had my roommates kids all day yesterday due to their new baby sister being born. Anyway, at the end of the day, we headed to Chuck E Cheese in Kent. I checked the threads on my phone and couldn't really find info on OCing with the exception of a lot of people afraid to try. I'm still waiting on approval for my 30 state carry. I know there is no police there, so I wouldn't take a chance not having my sidearm. Eveything went well and I had a blast. I did speak to the manager about a little girl causing trouble and stealing from tables. She apologized and offered us free pizza that I kindly denied. We had more than enough. Nobody said anything and all went well. I don't know if this was a freak instance or if they are ok with it. I am definitely not ok with anybody trying to disarm me while I have children with me and no police on duty.

j2l3

imported post

If you are a resident of Washington, a 30 day permit from somewhere else will not be valid for you here. You will still have to get a Washington permit if you plan to conceal.

Aryk45XD

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
If you are a resident of Washington, a 30 day permit from somewhere else will not be valid for you here. You will still have to get a Washington permit if you plan to conceal.
Ummm... No, that's why it's offered in WA. Oh, btw, it's a 32 state carry permit now and growing. Look it up, I just did to assure myself on multiple sites. :cool:

ETA: cause it applies... Nobody in the class had a carry permit. They were all residents getting a permit there to carry in WA and other states while they travel. The instructor never told anybody we have to have a WA permit and it's not in any of the literature.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
You mean 30 state?

Also, if you're a WA resident, you need the WA CPL. The 30 state permit doesn't cover the state you're a resident of unless you're a Utah resident, since that's the permit you're getting, in which case it would be a Utah resident permit, rather than an out of state resident permit.

Trigger Dr

imported post

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

[/b](1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

j2l3

imported post

Ummmm if you were to actually READ the RCW's...

[align=right][/align]
[/b](1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

Aryk45XD

imported post

I'm not a lawyer and I did read it. It tells me nothing about having a WA license.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and (Utah meets requirement)

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license. (Utah meets requirement)

(b) This section (section B) applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state. (This section does not apply because I am a resident. I am carrying in compliance with the laws anyway. I believe this is directed at non residents because of different state laws than that of WA. maybe this makes more sense if all of it read together. What would happen if you guys highlighted the second part instead of the first?) :cool:

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section. (I meet the requirements of 1 a i and ii)

...and I don't see what this has to do with Chuck E Cheese

Aryk45XD

imported post

This is on DOL.WA.GOV:

Concealed Weapon Reciprocity
Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.
Arkansas
Florida*
(WA residents only)
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Utah

NOTE: Handguns must be carried in accordance with the law of the state you are visiting. Be sure to check the laws of the other state before traveling there with your handgun.

ETA: cause I added it late above, Nobody in the class had a carry permit. They were all residents getting a permit there to carry in WA and other states while they travel. The instructor never told anybody we have to have a WA permit and it's not in any of the literature.

If I am wrong, don't just tell me I am and throw an RCW up there that does not specifically say I must have a WA permit. Explain it so everyone may understand. I would really like to avoid a potential situation, but I just don't believe that I have to have two licenses that cover the same state.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
This is on DOL.WA.GOV:

Concealed Weapon Reciprocity
Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.
Arkansas
Florida*
(WA residents only)
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Utah

NOTE: Handguns must be carried in accordance with the law of the state you are visiting. Be sure to check the laws of the other state before traveling there with your handgun.

ETA: cause I added it late above, Nobody in the class had a carry permit. They were all residents getting a permit there to carry in WA and other states while they travel. The instructor never told anybody we have to have a WA permit and it's not in any of the literature.

If I am wrong, don't just tell me I am and throw an RCW up there that does not specifically say I must have a WA permit. Explain it so everyone may understand. I would really like to avoid a potential situation, but I just don't believe that I have to have two licenses that cover the same state.
In the immortal words of Strother Martin, from Cool Hand Luke, "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Aryk, just because your instructor didn't tell you doesn't make it so. Just because he DOES tell you something doesn't make it so. Firearms safety instructors tell their classes quite often that OC is illegal here, but you and I both know that isn't so.

Now to answer, directly, your point about the RCW.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

You assume that section (b) refers only to section (b). That's a mistake. What it refers to is the whole of section (1). Now read the whole thing with that in mind and you'll see that, if you're a WA resident, you ARE required to have a WA CPL, even though you have the UTAH non-resident permit. Otherwise the clause you're referring to in section (b) would mean, in effect:

"If you're a non-resident of this state you have to carry in compliance with the laws of the state of WA. Residents do not have to be in compliance."

See what I mean?

I hope this helps to clear things up for you.

Tawnos

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I'm not a lawyer and I did read it. It tells me nothing about having a WA license.

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and (Utah meets requirement)

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license. (Utah meets requirement)

(b) This section (section B) applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state. (This section does not apply because I am a resident. I am carrying in compliance with the laws anyway. I believe this is directed at non residents because of different state laws than that of WA. maybe this makes more sense if all of it read together. What would happen if you guys highlighted the second part instead of the first?) :cool:

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section. (I meet the requirements of 1 a i and ii)

For a bit more clarification. RCWs are specified as follows: Title.Chapter.Section (subsections)

Hence, section refers to .073, not to (b) or even (1)

Aryk45XD

imported post

Thank you NavyMike. That's what I was looking for. Ok, so now I see that I have to get a WA CPL too. Thanks to everyone else for the effort.
On another note... It seemed like all the kids didn't care about my firearm or the parents. My roommate's kids kept bringing new friends to play with us and only one parent seemed to notice, but he only gave me a smile and nod.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:

For a bit more clarification. RCWs are specified as follows: Title.Chapter.Section (subsections)

Hence, section refers to .073, not to (b) or even (1)
Thanks for the correction.