• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jacksonville, NC/Eastern NC OC meetup

Lawmaker

imported post

Since the previous post died in the crash I opened a new one.

I would like to propose some dates. March 27 April 3

Jacksonville Locations:
Cracker Barrel (Great customer service, OC friendly 4+ Meets)
Golden Corral
Jeff's Burgers and Shakes (1 meet)
Hilda's
Jersey Mikes
Smithfield's
IHOP
Helen's Kitchen

Swansboro Locations:

Morehead City Locations:

New Bern Locations:

Wilmington Locations:

If you have any suggestions just post them and I will edit my original post. That way we can have a large list that we can pick from.

CarryOpen

imported post

The Kettle is very unfriendly for non-leo firearms in my opinion. The have a no weapons sign posted. I should be open for either of those dates, so I please count me in.

jag06

imported post

I would love to come down there and meet all you guys but the 3 hour drive is a little long just for dinner, I would have to find an excuse to make a weekend trip out of it, which I will try and do one of these days. To bad it was not this past weekend, I was with my boy scout troop staying on MCAS New River all weekend, but I probably would not have had time, was on a tight schedule. Even thought about letting you guys in the area know ahead of time but I knew I would not be able to meet up and I was right. But if anyone is wondering what we did, we toured fire crash and response, they did several demos for us, toured the cobra and huey hanger, got to fly on the huey flight simulator, and take a tour of the osprey hanger and go inside a osprey, great trip.

DocWest8404

imported post

Shooting for April 3rd sounds good to us, 6 Possible with my group. Does anyone know who the MP is on here that is stationed at Camp LeJeune? Need to get ahold of him for some help. Thanks guys.

Cody

CarryOpen

imported post

I think you're talking about "thin blue line", he offered to teach some weapon retention for us.

bluestreak26

imported post

I'm fairly new to the carrying community, but I am very interested in discussing this topic with others who feel the way I do about one's right to bear arms on his person and in general. I would be available for March 27th or April 3rd. I also have 2 friends that may be interested. Has a date been set?

Also, in an effort to verify that NC is in fact an open carry state I called the Onslow County Sheriff's Department and did not receive a straight forward answer. I was told that there was ambiguity surrounding the issue of open carry and that I should read NC gun laws and make my own interpretation. It was also recommended that I get a CHP which I already have.

Next, I called Jacksonville PD and the person with whom I had a conversation told me that he thought it was better to carry concealed. I asked him, "Sir, is it legal for me to open carry a handgun in NC as long as I am not carrying anywhere that I am not supposed to?" He said something to the effect of it being a touchy subject, that if a bystander were to be uncomfortable with me carrying they could call the police and I could run into trouble, and that it was an all around better idea to carry concealed. The gentleman did not answer my question and gave me what I perceived to be a ridiculous political answer. I think that I am in the right to open carry, I strongly believe in it, have read enough information from reliable professional sources where I think that I would be in the right and could not get into any legal trouble, and I do not care about the feelings of anti-gun activists or anyone who is uncomfortable around firearms due to sheer ignorance.

Would somebody be willing to give me some advice on this issue?

Sam

imported post

I say don't ask for permission. There is no statute against it, it is legal. As long as you use common sense and know your laws go for it! I OC every single day.

Sig45man

imported post

bluestreak26 wrote:
I'm fairly new to the carrying community, but I am very interested in discussing this topic with others who feel the way I do about one's right to bear arms on his person and in general. I would be available for March 27th or April 3rd. I also have 2 friends that may be interested. Has a date been set?

Also, in an effort to verify that NC is in fact an open carry state I called the Onslow County Sheriff's Department and did not receive a straight forward answer. I was told that there was ambiguity surrounding the issue of open carry and that I should read NC gun laws and make my own interpretation. It was also recommended that I get a CHP which I already have.

Next, I called Jacksonville PD and the person with whom I had a conversation told me that he thought it was better to carry concealed. I asked him, "Sir, is it legal for me to open carry a handgun in NC as long as I am not carrying anywhere that I am not supposed to?" He said something to the effect of it being a touchy subject, that if a bystander were to be uncomfortable with me carrying they could call the police and I could run into trouble, and that it was an all around better idea to carry concealed. The gentleman did not answer my question and gave me what I perceived to be a ridiculous political answer. I think that I am in the right to open carry, I strongly believe in it, have read enough information from reliable professional sources where I think that I would be in the right and could not get into any legal trouble, and I do not care about the feelings of anti-gun activists or anyone who is uncomfortable around firearms due to sheer ignorance.

Would somebody be willing to give me some advice on this issue?
North carolina is a open carry state, you are allowed to open carry your firearm as long as you do not go into any establishment that has a "no firearms" sign posted. It is perfectly legal.

CarryOpen

imported post

There's no grey or touchy area. Some LEOs try to use Going Armed to the Terror of the Public as a means of control, some may even believe that it is legitimate, but openly carrying a firearm does not constitute GAttToP, even if it makes someone uncomfortable. This has been an ongoing "discussion" with JPD. We might need to talk with the city attorney about it.

CarryOpen

imported post

I am still up for it, how many do we have confirmed and where would you guys like to go?

Dreamer

imported post

I'm up for it, for this weekend.

The 24th is the weekend of "finals" for me, and I probably won't be able to spare the time though...

CarryOpen

imported post

Thin blue told me he was interested also, just asked me to call him with info.

billxdm

imported post

I am new here but have been OC in Wilmington for a few weeks now and would be interested in a meetup around here. I would love to go somewhere for a meet but I just dont have the time to travel, my job keeps me pretty busy and any free time I prefer to spend with my family, but I think I could spare some time for an intown meetup.

I have only OC'd at WM, foodlion, harris teeter, and the gas station on the corner so far. oh yeah and bojangles the other night when a young black girl asked me if I was a police officer. I said no and she said "oh".

I do not know of any places to meet around her so far, besided maybe GC but I am not sure of their feelings on OCing her in Wilmington.