• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canadian on student visa denied CPL

camaro_boy

imported post

I was thinking today. Is it illegal to purchase a handgun for range and home defense purposes?

I can do the whole lock box and storage in the rear of my car.

budlight

imported post

Just curious, if I go to Canada will they honor my Michigan CPL?

Note; I was just making a statement, I know the answer to this one as Canada is an anti-gun country.

CoonDog

imported post

A long gun may be an option but someone with more knowledge of MI long arm statutes would have to chime in. If legal for you to possess, you can by a rifle or shotgun face to face without getting a license.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

canadian_boy wrote:
I was thinking today. Is it illegal to purchase a handgun for range and home defense purposes?

I can do the whole lock box and storage in the rear of my car.

As you will read in the annotations to MCL § 28.422:
The Michigan Court of Appeals held in Chan v City of Troy, 220 Mich App 376; 559 NW2d 374 (1997), that the citizen requirement, now MCL 28.422(3)(c), for a permit to purchase a pistol contained in MCL 28.422(3)(b) violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and is unconstitutional.
Therefore, the citizenship requirement obtain a license to purchase is no longer applicable. Although I don't think the issue has been raised, any similar citizenship requirements for the recognition of other states' CPLs should fail for the same reason.

chaneyd

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
28.422 does not apply to CPLs.

The requirements are in 28.425b.

(7) The concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a license to an applicant to carry a concealed pistol within the period required under this act after the applicant properly submits an application under subsection (1) and the concealed weapon licensing board determines that all of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The applicant is 21 years of age or older.

(b) The applicant is a citizen of the United States or is an alien lawfully admitted into the United States, is a legal resident of this state, and has resided in this state for not less than the 6 months immediately preceding the date of application. The concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month residency requirement for a temporary license under section 5a(8) if the concealed weapon licensing board determines there is probable cause to believe the safety of the applicant or the safety of a member of the applicant's family is endangered by the applicant's inability to immediately obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol. If the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established, the concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month waiting period and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established. The concealed weapon licensing board shall immediately issue a temporary license to that applicant. The temporary license shall be valid until the concealed weapon licensing board decides whether to grant or deny the application. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:

(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.

(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.

(c) The applicant has knowledge and has had training in the safe use and handling of a pistol by the successful completion of a pistol safety training course or class that meets the requirements of section 5j, and that is available to the general public and presented by a law enforcement agency, junior or community college, college, or public or private institution or organization or firearms training school.
The applicant is a citizen of the United States or is an alien lawfully admitted into the United States, is a legal resident of this state, and has resided in this state for not less than the 6 months immediately preceding the date of application.
It's not and or, it's ALL of it. lawfull alien, AND legal resident, AND residency for not less than 6 mos. If they allowed everyone who was LEGALLY allowed to enter the US we've have way too much chaos.

scot623

yes sir, got it a few months back. Ive been admited to the us for over 6 months now too.

Shes saying i would need a residency card or something.

No word of a lie, the sheriffs office told me that i would need to tell the candian consolate that i want to withdrawl my citizenship. I cant believe they even said that. There is no way i would commite to this for a cpl. Sorry for the rant but i am upset about this whole thing.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._71_263341_7.pdf

residency definition
MCLs 28.422 and 28.425b were amended to include a definition of a “legal resident” for the purposes of issuing an LTP or a CPL. Under the amended statutes, persons are eligible for an LTP or a CPL if they satisfy one of the following requirements:
The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license or state ID card,
The person is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan,
The person is an active duty member of the military stationed elsewhere, but having a home of record in Michigan, or
The person is an active duty member of the military stationed in Michigan, but having a home of record elsewhere.

Last edited:

kryptonian

cpl

hope you get it and also spell check. a little concerned about your student status and bad spelling. sorry not the grammer police here but just very noticeable.

Agent1

What??

hope you get it and also spell check. a little concerned about your student status and bad spelling. sorry not the grammer police here but just very noticeable.

You didn't capitalize 'hope', 'a' and 'sorry'. But who noticed? LOL!!!!

Last edited:

fozzy71

album-glass-houses.jpg

kryptonian

Pilling on:

You didn't capitalize properly.
;)

i very rarely capitalize. it's my own writing style born out of laziness. that shift key is way over there.
pet peeves-
there - 'we went there' (place or direction)
their - 'it was their house' (possessive)
they're - 'they're coming over' (contraction for they are)
very commonly misused
seen and saw - both past tense verbs - 'i saw it' not 'i seen it'
ok GRAMMAR police turning off the overhead lights - sorry.