• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops called on me for oc'ing at a school

gdlckprincess

imported post

A little background first, I have 3 children in the Granite School District. My two boys are at Plymouth Elementary and my daughter is at Granite Junior High. Both of my boys have issues and I have had to bring in a case manager and NAMI rep to help me. We had a meeting set up today with the principal, teacher, case manager, NAMI rep and my self. The meeting has been canceled before for no apparent reason and so it was very important to make sure it went through today.

The case manager, Nami rep and myself walked into the school today and I was oc'ing. I was laughing and joking with both of them when twenty minutes later a Granite District cop walked in. About two to three minutes later another cop walked in. I continued to keep talking with these two people and also the teacher now. The cop finally asked about ten minutes later if we were there for the meeting. We all said yes and he said they were ready to start. Then he said they would like to start with me first.

I walked into the principals office and the cop asked me how I was and I said fine how are you. He then said "Do you have a concealed weapons permit"? I said yes would you like to see it? He said no and asked me what my permit meant. I answered with it means I can conceal if I want. He said right then why don't you? I stated that I didn't have to and I oc a lot. He told me that I was not allowed to oc at the school and they were uncomfortable with me doing so. I told him that it was my right to oc and I would continue to do so. He told me they want me to leave my gun in my vehicle anytime I plan on entering the school. I told him it was my right to carry due to my permit whether it be open or concealed on school grounds. He continued to tell me that it was not allowed. I told him the difference between me and someone that doesn't have a permit means that I can carry open or concealed loaded at all times. Oh ya and I can be on school grounds. He told me no that is not what the permit means. He asked me how I would feel if the teachers walked around with guns on their hips. I smiled and said I would be ok with that and I would feel better because my kids would be a little safer. I would feel good because if someone did walk into the school to do harm it could be handled and hopefully stay under control. He didn't like that answer ha ha.He told me they do not allow students to have weapons at school nor do they allow bad guys to have them at school. I said not any bad guys that you know of. He went back to saying that I was not allowed to open carry on school grounds and I needed to leave my gun in my car. I continued to tell him that I did not have to and I would continue to carry my sidearm when I came to this school. He told me that if I refused to comply that we would have to start holding meetings at other places. I said ok. He then also told me that if I didn't comply with him that they would handle it in other ways. I looked at him and told him again that for the sake of this meeting I would conceal this time, but don't count on it for future times. I told him it was not against the law for me to oc at the school and the next time I came here I would bring documentation for him so he could see that I am not doing anything illegal. He told me he didn't need my documents he knows the law. I looked at him and said first UVU and now here. Then I walked over to the door looked at the other people for the meeting and said I think we are ready. The two officers stood at the back of the room watching me for the whole meeting. After I left I had a million things go through my mind of what I should have said or added to it. This was my first time having someone of authority tell me I was not allowed to oc and my permit meant that I had to conceal.

With that said I have had to speak with this Sargent before at this school concerning pictures that were taken of my younger son by a teacher on her cell phone. He didn't see anything wrong with it cause it was for a school project at the end of the year. He told me the teacher was just naive and didn't mean anything by it.

Now with that being said last Wednesday I went to my daughters school open and checked her out of school. Yesterday The principal called me and asked if when I was there if I had a gun. I told him yes and he asked if I was allowed to. I told him yes I have a permit which allows me to. He asked if he could see it and I said of course I will come down and show it to you. So I finished checking out at the grocery store, took my grocery's home and then went down there. I showed it to him and he said ok thank you. I said no problem, but I am a little concerned that this took place a week ago and you are just now being notified. He agreed and said he was embarrassed about it. That was it and I walked out. That went well I thought and then today this.

If anyone has any advise for me on this for next time I would greatly appreciate it. I know there will be other incidents that will come from this due to him saying "we will handle this in other ways". I would like to be better prepared for the next time. Also if anyone has the link to the codes on this I would appreciate it. That way I can print them off and carry them with me.

slowfiveoh

imported post

First off:

Welcome to OCDO!

Second:

--Make sure you are intimately familiar with firearms laws in your state. Consulting an attorney would be a good thing to do, to make sure there is no backwoods statute or law that can be applied to regardless of your legal right to carry.

--Once the determination has been made that you are completely and wholly legal, carry a high capacity digital audio recorder on you at all times. Ensure that it is on well before you arrive at the school. A secondary one for backup, may be prudent as well. (Ok that's just me, I'm a stickler for redundancy....)

--Bring copies of state laws and regulations for clarification purposes when queried by law enforcement personnel. Sometimes they simply don't know, and you may be opening their eyes to something they didn't even realize existed.

--ALWAYS comply with law enforcement while asserting your rights. Let them know, if or when they detain you, that you do not consent to searches, nor the unlawful detainment.

Others will chime in with great advice I am sure.

IANAL

Have a good day!

gdlckprincess

imported post

Thank you and I will continue to stand up for our rights. I knew it would be a fight from day one of starting to carry, but honestly I didn't think it was really that bad. I knew the LEO's had their opinions, but again didn't think it would be like that. This was my first occurence with LEO in a negetive way and it threw me for a loop. There has been a lot of excellent advise given to me between this site and UCC. The support is great as well. Thank you to everyone that has made me feel better about the situation.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

What we learned from Nick is to record and/or video tape the convertsation. Go to the NV open carry site and see how they handle these "run-ins" with Metro.

Well done, I do not OC at my kids school, that's just me, but I print real bad.

Too bad this lady didn't think like you, because you never know when the crap is going to hit the fan.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=10065420