• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to handle police encounters *revisited* ...

ghostrider

imported post

daniels wrote:
Here is a VERY good video. Do yourselves a favor and watch the entire thing. It's not about open carry but it's about why you don't want to talk to the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Good post.

I sometimes wonder if maybe people don't just skim through to get the "Cliff's Notes" version, rather than read the actually postings in their entirety.

daniels

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
daniels wrote:
Here is a VERY good video. Do yourselves a favor and watch the entire thing. It's not about open carry but it's about why you don't want to talk to the police.

Good post.

I sometimes wonder if maybe people don't just skim through to get the "Cliff's Notes" version, rather than read the actually postings in their entirety.
They do. LOL I posted it on my motorcycle forum and not one of them watched the whole thing. Actually I think one said he watched in before and he ended up needing the info. in it one day and it really saved his butt. The other guys just complained about how long it was.

mikestilly

imported post

daniels wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
daniels wrote:
Here is a VERY good video.  Do yourselves a favor and watch the entire thing.  It's not about open carry but it's about why you don't want to talk to the police.

Good post.

They do. LOL  I posted it on my motorcycle forum and not one of them watched the whole thing.  Actually I think one said he watched in before and he ended up needing the info. in it one day and it really saved his butt.  The other guys just complained about how long it was.

Geez the youth today.. :uhoh: glad my son isnt like that I would have to change that :?

Thats why I tried to make it simple an to the point. Less words the better and more people will pay attention IMO.

daniels

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
daniels wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
daniels wrote:
Here is a VERY good video.  Do yourselves a favor and watch the entire thing.  It's not about open carry but it's about why you don't want to talk to the police.

Good post.

They do. LOL  I posted it on my motorcycle forum and not one of them watched the whole thing.  Actually I think one said he watched in before and he ended up needing the info. in it one day and it really saved his butt.  The other guys just complained about how long it was.

Geez the youth today.. :uhoh: glad my son isnt like that I would have to change that :?

Thats why I tried to make it simple an to the point. Less words the better and more people will pay attention IMO.

The sad part is I think almost all of them are older than me. LOL I'm 31.

ghostrider

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
daniels wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
daniels wrote:

Good post.

They do. LOL I posted it on my motorcycle forum and not one of them watched the whole thing. Actually I think one said he watched in before and he ended up needing the info. in it one day and it really saved his butt. The other guys just complained about how long it was.

Thing is, if they had read the thread in it's entirety, then no one would suggest that WRR doesn't work, or is too complicated, or ...etc.

It's extensive because it covers a lot, and people are basically just starting to discover some of the aspects that have been skipped over in the reading.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
And it works too.
If you get felony stopped, and the cops freely admit that you're being detained, even though they don't have RAS or a warrant, then if falls flat on its face. This does happen, or at least it used to, and frequently in SE Michigan. Being a multiple occasion victim of this with multiple personal failures with WRR, I think it's easy to see why I am so in favor of my one question rule.

WRR goes under the sometimes false assumption that police with have a small amount of honesty and decency. But if they did, they probably wouldn't be doing the stop to begin with.

mikestilly

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
The biggest point to WRR is that you give the LEO NOTHING else so that his or her fishing exspedition fails...

That said no ONE plan works every time.

Sure it does. If you simply shut up how can it fail? The only question remains is are you free to go or not. How onea earth could it fail????

Michigander

imported post

That is true, it won't fail you, if you give them nothing else. It just won't get you out of the stop any faster, which isn't necessarily a problem, because that was already the situation. But it could work, and that would be nice.

The biggest problem, is someone new to police abuse, with their heart racing, feeling very anxious or scared, coming face to face with jackass cops who are experts at making people feel like their only reasonable option when faced by their bullying antics is to run their mouths faster than a Kenyan runner at the summer Olympics. WRR gets pulled out, and the police go from there to say something like "you're not being detained, BUT...", or "we think this is brandishing, we're calling the prosecutor". Or my favorite "this is a CCW violation" (true idiocy, that was before I got my CPL). WRR will do you exactly nothing when the police start saying this gibberish.

Plus, the brave and focused people who can take that situation on, for the first time, and do everything smooth and by the numbers, are very rare.

That is why I am so adamant about am I being detained, followed by a 911 call, or walking away. If someone feels they are able to do better than that, I wish them luck.

I think it would be good to start a thread, about WRR, asking who has successfully used it.

G

imported post

Why start a new thread?

Isn't this thread a good place for those comments also?

Wouldn't another thread clutter the forum?

Michigander

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Michigander Id say we did at the Plymouth Ice Festival.
Sort of a WRR scenario, but it really didn't get beyond the am I being detained question.

I can't remember if you did anything but record the cop. I do remember that Sprinklerguy told the cop what the law was. Then I whipped my phone out, asked it we were being detained, and the cop, probably aware that he was being recorded, and that I was about to all 911 or my lawyer, said no, went back inside, and apparently intimidated the bar's owner into kicking us out.

Michigander

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Why start a new thread?

This is a thread about a revisited method of handling encounters. Seems like it makes things hard to keep track of and under replied to when you have multiple subjects in a single thread.

Yes, it would further clutter the forum, which as you know is why I think sub forums are helpful, so things stay well organized and easy to navigate.

ghostrider

imported post

I'm going to address this point by point.

Michigander wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
And it works too.
If you get felony stopped, and the cops freely admit that you're being detained, even though they don't have RAS or a warrant, then if falls flat on its face.
How does it fall on it's face? In this scenario, you've gotten the officer to admit that he's crossed the threshold of detainment. He now needs to justify that. That isn't falling on it's face, it's doing it's intended purpose.

Michigander wrote:
...Being a multiple occasion victim of this with multiple personal failures with WRR...
How did it fail? Where you convicted of anything?

Michigander wrote:
...I think it's easy to see why I am so in favor of my one question rule. ...
"WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" is essentially only two questions.

1. "Am I being detained/or free to leave?"
2. "What is your reasonable suspicion?"

Could you please re-post your "one-question rule" here for me so I don't have to use this search engine. If you've discovered something that works better for you then good.

Michigander wrote:
...WRR goes under the sometimes false assumption that police with have a small amount of honesty and decency. ...
It does no such thing. It makes that factor irrelevant. (I'm wondering if your wanting something out of WRR that wasn't it's intended purpose. You may see another problem that you feel WRR isn't covering).

Michigander wrote:
...But if they did, they probably wouldn't be doing the stop to begin with....
Probably true, but that is why WRR. It sets boundaries, and clarifies thresholds that are intended to protect the person.

ETA:
Mind you: I'm not saying "I'm right your wrong."

You've got experience that speaks for itself, so you'll know what's going to work best for you.

Most of the times when I have read about people's encounters (positive or negative), WRR is not being employed. More often than not, it's a case of people talking to the officer rather than keeping their mouth shut. Sometimes that's productive, sometimes it's destructive. If people aren't experienced or discerning enough to know the difference, then they should employ WRR which is essentially a method of gathering a couple pertinent facts, and then keeping quiet.

G

imported post

Michigander wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Why start a new thread?

This is a thread about a revisited method of handling encounters. Seems like it makes things hard to keep track of and under replied to when you have multiple subjects in a single thread.

Yes, it would further clutter the forum, which as you know is why I think sub forums are helpful, so things stay well organized and easy to navigate.
Successful/unsuccessful WRR applications are germane to this as it provides info for ghostrider to utilize in the revision of WRR.

A sticky OC Encounters thread is already provided separately to prevent forum clutter.

Michigander

imported post

The question, to me, is not so much how little damage did it do, but how effective is it at getting the encounter to end, with as little civil rights violations as possible.

I have never been convicted, or even had to take on charges related to OCing. But at the same time, I have never got an encounter to end quickly using WRR. In this regard, it has failed me.

My system, is ask if you are being detained. If a no is stated, you should leave the area immediately. If yes, or something vague that may mean yes, you should say nothing else and call 911 and ask for the MSP to come out so you can have credible witnesses (may or may not happen), and also ask for the FBI to get sent out for a color of law investigation. The FBI thing probably won't happen, but it definitely won't if you don't ask. A 911 call also ensures that you'll have a highly admissible into court recording. When worried about interactions, I carry my phone set to speaker, and I am very ready to call 911.

As I have said before, WRR goes under the assumption that you can talk your way out of a stop, or at least that you can gather evidence this way. I suppose you can use it for evidence, but it's also easy enough to get their false and illegal justifications from a FOIA.

The way I have always interpreted WRR, is that it is supposed to be a means to get the police to let you go. After all, the final question is asking if you may leave. I don't know of a situation where anyone has ever asked a few simple questions upon hearing that they are being detained, and managed to get a cop to immediately let them go, realizing that they are wrong.

As an evidence gathering strategy for an experienced cop handler, it has its merits, I suppose. For all else, I don't know of any reason to debate with cops during an unlawful detention. I can't see it doing any good. Your mileage may vary.