Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First open carry experience

Post imported post

First time in South Dakota open carried. Opened carried inHyvee, Walmart and Jones food Center. One employee in Hyvee noticed and just asked what kind of weapon it was. It was about 920pm at night and not many people around. pretty good experience
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

XDSTEEL wrote:
    First time in South Dakota open carried. Opened carried inHyvee, Walmart and Jones food Center. One employee in Hyvee noticed and just asked what kind of weapon it was. It was about 920pm at night and not many people around. pretty good experience
    Welcome to our world - pretty liberating isn't it.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Glad it went well! If you ever are in Rapid let me know!

Post imported post

Sure thing let you know. i am going to do it with more people not to flaunt just to test the waters and sorry about the double post guys
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

Post imported post

Ok today I walked into Walmart with my open carried handgun. A walmart employee noticed it and asked me if i was law enforcement. i told him no i wasn't. He proceeded to get the Assistant Manager because the manager was not available. Politely the Asst manager asked me to put my handgun in my truck and that i may return shopping. i politely told him about South Dakota state laws about open carry but yet he insisted that i do. The reasoning is "for the safety and concern of other customers". I did return to my truck and put the gun away, but by doing that did i betray my rights?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

XDSTEEL wrote:
    I did return to my truck and put the gun away, but by doing that did i betray my rights?
    I'd say yes, but I won't condemn you to the deepest pits for it!
    You are required to leave if asked by any employee (IANAL). My response would have been to leave and not return to do any shopping until the issue had been favorably resolved by the store manager (i.e. recognition of Wal-mart's OC policy and SD law, and an apology).
    Were you in East River? There are several forum posts regarding OC in the Rapid City Wal-mart. Some people have no problems, others do....

Post imported post

Yes Vermillion SD in fact i just need some documents saying i have the right to do so . thanks for not condeming me too much

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

XDSTEEL wrote:
    Yes Vermillion SD in fact i just need some documents saying i have the right to do so . thanks for not condeming me too much
    Don't mention it, just make sure to pass it along

Post imported post

XDSTEEL wrote:
    There are no "documents" giving you permission to carry on private property.

When Wal-Mart says they follow state law, they are avoiding the issue because your state has personal property laws too.

If you're asked to leave, do so and pursue the matter later if you chose to do so. No point in arguing there - you won't win then.

Under NO circumstances will I put my gun in my vehicle. Someone may see me do that and then break into my vehicle and steal it - bad for everybody. ymmv

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

so when an asst manger asks me to leave what do i say? corperate policy to abide by state law?

Post imported post

XDSTEEL wrote:
    so when an asst manger asks me to leave what do i say? corperate policy to abide by state law?
    Quoted from prior post:

If you're asked to leave, do so and pursue the matter later if you chose to do so. No point in arguing there - you won't win then.

Understand also why "corporate policy" is a two edged sword. Their private property rights vs your RKBA. Your right/privilege to be armed stops at their door - then you are there at their pleasure and that alone.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Right on. Thank you. I will talk to the store manager about it . If i get a no go then i will go up the chain.

Post imported post

XDSTEEL wrote:
    Right on. Thank you. I will talk to the store manager about it . If i get a no go then i will go up the chain.
    Get your ducks in a row, be polite and good luck.

Try to teach them that a person's conduct/behavior is what they need to consider not how the person is "dressed."

I am fortunate in that their are 1/2 doz or more Wally Worlds in my area, but I still will not shop in one of them because of the manager. Haven't done the righteous thing yet and crossed them all off though - but I have curtailed severely.

Yata hey

Post imported post

I talked to the store manager today. I informed him on State and Federal law and he talked about how it makes other customers feel insecure and such. I told him that i understand his position and that I am not using Walmart as a politcal stage but that want to shop in peace. He understands my position and he will talk to his district manager and will get back to me tommarrow or friday. Until then he said i was welcome in Walmart without my handgun.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

XDSTEEL wrote:
    I talked to the store manager today. I informed him on State and Federal law and he talked about how it makes other customers feel insecure and such. I told him that i understand his position and that I am not using Walmart as a politcal stage but that want to shop in peace. He understands my position and he will talk to his district manager and will get back to me tommarrow or friday. Until then he said i was welcome in Walmart without my handgun.
    Don't do it, stick to your guns, so to speak. I'd find out who he reports to and try to contact them directly. You were right to inform him of the law, but unfortunately the best tool at hand is to vote with your dollar.

Post imported post

Yea .. havent went back since

Post imported post

I was in Burger King with my girlfriend and naturally was open carrying. We finished our dinner and she left to the ladies room and all of a sudden the police pulled into the parking lot and the manager goes out to talk to him. After about two minutes they both enter the place. At this point and for some reason my heart starts racing and like this shot of adrenaline goes through me. I guess i was really nervous and so I just needed to calm down. But all that was just for nothing. The Police officer was there because one of the cars in the drive up lane bumped into the building and ran away. all of this happened like in the eight minutes that the officer was there. soo no encounter just really got nervous

Post imported post

I know my heart would have started racing. What I think is great is that nobody cared that you OC even the LEO's:celebrate
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

I live near Vermillion and have always wanted to open carry but never have. I do have a concealed permit also. I might have to try it in the near future. Are you still open carrying on a regular basis in Vermillion?

Post imported post

I guess its time for one of you to start an OC dinner group in Vermillion.

Post imported post

Yea still do.. just got back from texas. In Fact i was going to open carry this evening if you would like to join. send me a meessage to get some contact info

Post imported post

What's with all the nervousness?
    Just strap the gun on and go.
    Most people do not even notice, unless you start yelling
    "Put da money in da bag!!"

You can do that, can't you?

Post imported post

What are you talking about I OCed plenty of times before

Post imported post

I fully support gun rights and I think it is a great to see people expressing these gun rights. I was born and raised in South Dakota butlived a couple years in a state that was very restrictive on guns. It was one of my biggest complaints and I absolutely cherish these rights.

I am just overly cautious, it is probably due to the way I was raised. To me it'snot just strap it on and go. I don't believe there is anything wrong with doing so. Ido not have a problem with displaying guns or using them during hunting or target practice or other activities. Its the carrying a loaded weapon around just to do so that causes me to be cautious. It more out of showing respect to the weapon. Again I have no problem with anyone else doing so, but am turning to this forum to help me gain insight.

Post imported post

just got back from OCing tonight nobody really looks and it is really fun .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast