• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First open carry experience

XDSTEEL

imported post

Yea still do.. just got back from texas. In Fact i was going to open carry this evening if you would like to join. send me a meessage to get some contact info

groats

imported post

What's with all the nervousness?
Just strap the gun on and go.
Most people do not even notice, unless you start yelling
"Put da money in da bag!!"

You can do that, can't you?

sd_resident

imported post

I fully support gun rights and I think it is a great to see people expressing these gun rights. I was born and raised in South Dakota butlived a couple years in a state that was very restrictive on guns. It was one of my biggest complaints and I absolutely cherish these rights.

I am just overly cautious, it is probably due to the way I was raised. To me it'snot just strap it on and go. I don't believe there is anything wrong with doing so. Ido not have a problem with displaying guns or using them during hunting or target practice or other activities. Its the carrying a loaded weapon around just to do so that causes me to be cautious. It more out of showing respect to the weapon. Again I have no problem with anyone else doing so, but am turning to this forum to help me gain insight.

sd_resident

imported post

So is open carry part of your every day life? I guess what I am asking is if you do things just to OC or do you OC justwhile your doing thins (i.e. Shopping at walmart, going out to eat).

Personally, I have no problem OCing if I am going to and from a range, hunting or doing something that involves the need for a weapon. I guess this is where my comfort zone is.

I got interested in OC after moving from a state where guns were seen as bad. I moved back to South Dakota and wanted to express my 2nd amendment rights, so I got a concealed permit. I am also big into hunting and shooting. Now I am interested in this movement but just really cautious.

What is it that makes OC fun? Is concealed just as enjoyable to you? Why?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sd_resident wrote:
So is open carry part of your every day life? I guess what I am asking is if you do things just to OC or do you OC justwhile your doing thins (i.e. Shopping at walmart, going out to eat).

Personally, I have no problem OCing if I am going to and from a range, hunting or doing something that involves the need for a weapon. I guess this is where my comfort zone is.

I got interested in OC after moving from a state where guns were seen as bad. I moved back to South Dakota and wanted to express my 2nd amendment rights, so I got a concealed permit. I am also big into hunting and shooting. Now I am interested in this movement but just really cautious.

"This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." Just going through life as good citizens - only difference is that we do so while taking responsibility for our own safety and that of our loved ones.

Many of us do not care whether you OC or CC, but we do encourage you to take the responsible road and carry in some manner.

OC has multiple advantages:

It is an educational tool - it will from time to time present opportunities to educate others that CC will never offer.

It puts the RKBA up front where others can see it and become more accustom to it.

It offers a "no draw defense" against the bg's. They will pick a softer/safer target.

It doesn't require special garments. Right now it has gotten too warm for extra layers.

BTW - Life is fun, but carrying of a weapon is NOT a sport. It is an obligation I take very seriously.

Yata hey

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sd_resident wrote:

I can't speak for everybody, but I'd guess most agree with me that "fun" is not the reason for which they OC. I carry a gun because I believe that I am responsible for defending myself and my loved ones. A gun is the best tool for self defense, and OCing it makes it most accessible. The fact that OCing makes a political or philosophical statement is nice, but doesn't cause me to carry.

I too come from a place that does not respect RKBA. When I moved to SD I expected that South Dakotans would be on board with OC. They generally aren't, at least in Rapid. I can't figure why. I guess it's due to having easily obtained CCPs, and influx of people from urban areas nationwide (Rapid is a college town), and a relative lack of violent crime (compared to Baltimore/DC where I'm from).

Anyone who thinks about crime and crime rates for long will likely conclude that even a very low rate does not preclude violent crime, and that it only takes one incident to leave one or one's family maimed or dead. This weekend in Rapid there were two shootings (one by the police) and a stabbing.

SDguy

imported post

petrophase wrote:
sd_resident wrote:

I can't speak for everybody, but I'd guess most agree with me that "fun" is not the reason for which they OC. I carry a gun because I believe that I am responsible for defending myself and my loved ones. A gun is the best tool for self defense, and OCing it makes it most accessible. The fact that OCing makes a political or philosophical statement is nice, but doesn't cause me to carry.

I too come from a place that does not respect RKBA. When I moved to SD I expected that South Dakotans would be on board with OC. They generally aren't, at least in Rapid. I can't figure why. I guess it's due to having easily obtained CCPs, and influx of people from urban areas nationwide (Rapid is a college town), and a relative lack of violent crime (compared to Baltimore/DC where I'm from).

Anyone who thinks about crime and crime rates for long will likely conclude that even a very low rate does not preclude violent crime, and that it only takes one incident to leave one or one's family maimed or dead. This weekend in Rapid there were two shootings (one by the police) and a stabbing.

Petro, do you openly carry in Rapid City proper on a regular basis? Knowing the local police in the city I would expect you to be stopped and questioned on a regular basis in Rapid City.

My son was stopped and questioned for open carry in RC. They emptied the chamber and magazine, placed the gun on the trunk of his car and told him not to reload until after they drove away. He was legal but they (the police) were not pleased.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SDguy wrote:
Petro, do you openly carry in Rapid City proper on a regular basis? Knowing the local police in the city I would expect you to be stopped and questioned on a regular basis in Rapid City.

My son was stopped and questioned for open carry in RC. They emptied the chamber and magazine, placed the gun on the trunk of his car and told him not to reload until after they drove away. He was legal but they (the police) were not pleased.
Sounds like someone needs to file a formal complaint - there are so many things wrong with this I hardly know where to begin. Actually I do - with an FOIA request.

If this is typical and regular, nothing will change until someone calls them on it.

Yata hey

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SDguy wrote:
petrophase wrote:
sd_resident wrote:

I OC about a third of the time that I'm out in public. The rest of the time I am prohibited from doing so by school policy or federal law. I have OCed at Rapid area stores such as safeway, FTC, walmart, target, hardware hanks, etc. No run ins yet. I have talked to few RCPD to inquire about their knowledge and training on OC - they reported that they don't recommend it but that they are aware of its legality.

Where was your son stopped?

SDguy

imported post

He was driving down St. Patrick St and was stopped for a lane change without signaling violation. Driving a nice silver fully loaded Jetta not a bad looking car. He is clean cut and even looks like a cop.

When pulled over he opened his wallet to show his drivers license and the office noticed the concealed carry permit next to his license. The officer then asked if he was carrying at the moment to which he replied yes he has a loaded Glock on his right side.

The officer told him to remain still with his hands on the wheel. The officer remained at the car window and called for backup. Two Rapid police cars were on the scene within about two minutes. They removed him, took his gun, unloaded it, ran his drivers license and asked him why he was carrying a gun.

They did not keep him long but as I stated earlier in this thread left the gun unloaded and told him not to load up until after they left. He was not issued a ticket for the traffic stop but was bad mouthed by the oldest of the officers who obviously did not like 20 somethings going around armed.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's really unfortunate. You'd think in a state with the highest per capita rate of concealed carry permits issuance the police would be more acclimated to civilians carrying weapons.

XDSTEEL

LEO encounter

Was OCing today in Vermillion. Went to Jones Foods and a off duty Police Sergeant told me that I would get kicked out blah blah... Then preceeded to walk around town because it was a nice day. While walking a bicycle cop made a "contact" encounter with me saying that there was a call about a guy with a gun.So he biked up to me tried to chat me up. He asked for my ID told him that I don't have to show him. He then said something about holding me till I identify myself and then i told him he can't and it went on like that for a minute then I just got tired of it. I asked if I was being detained he said no ,then I asked if I was free to go again yes so I left. Nothing happened after that.

Last edited:

feeldasteel

He was driving down St. Patrick St and was stopped for a lane change without signaling violation. Driving a nice silver fully loaded Jetta not a bad looking car. He is clean cut and even looks like a cop.

When pulled over he opened his wallet to show his drivers license and the office noticed the concealed carry permit next to his license. The officer then asked if he was carrying at the moment to which he replied yes he has a loaded Glock on his right side.

The officer told him to remain still with his hands on the wheel. The officer remained at the car window and called for backup. Two Rapid police cars were on the scene within about two minutes. They removed him, took his gun, unloaded it, ran his drivers license and asked him why he was carrying a gun.

They did not keep him long but as I stated earlier in this thread left the gun unloaded and told him not to load up until after they left. He was not issued a ticket for the traffic stop but was bad mouthed by the oldest of the officers who obviously did not like 20 somethings going around armed.

It is really best policy to not make the officer ask, as soon as he walks up to the car you should tell him right away that you have a firearm. Alot of places that is the law...and its really just a good idea for your own safety. dont want some rookie to make a snap decision when he sees it!

XDSTEEL

Fun OCing

Yes I think OCing is fun. Yes I use it for my own personal protection and the protection of others. However, why can it not be fun? For example, I have been in the military long enough to shoot many different kinds of weapons down range and you know what? I have FUN. YES I do. I like having this responsibility if you don’t then don’t carry. If you think that having fun is not being responsible then you should not trust your military because we have so much fun.
Don’t get me wrong any gun owner should practice safety and good judgment, but if you don’t enjoy what you do you lose that. And if we are not to have fun while OCing then I guess people should not have picnics while OCing because I believe that they are having fun.
I am sorry if you may disagree but, if I did not enjoy what I did I would not be doing it. I enjoy talking to people about OCing and letting them know they can do it legally.