• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member in SoCal

jaydog

imported post

Hello, I'm new here to the forums. I'm 32 years old, live in Fountain Valley and I'm a new gun owner, having recently purchased my first handgun a couple weeks ago. I was interested in conceal carry, however after researching it and learning how restrictive California is with CCW, even in Orange County, I became interested in open carry as a possible option if I wanted to carry my weapon for personal defense although I would still prefer conceal carry. I joined the forums a couple-three weeks ago and have been mainly just lurking, reading and absorbing everything there is on the forum and the CaliforniaOpenCarry.org site about UOC in California.

For the moment I've decided against UOC alone because of the current climate and also I do not wish to subject myself to possible false arrest or unwittingly step on one of the many "landmines" that legislators have scattered around such as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995 (PC626.9). I am interested in possibly carrying at a meet-up with other UOC'ers, but not until I've had a chance to come out while not carrying a couple of times and meet you guys, talk about concerns and maybe even run down a practice 12031(e) check or two to help me know what it will be like and what to say and how to conduct myself.

I have my first handgun training course coming up here this Saturday with Firearms Training Associates out in Corona. I'm also looking to take their two day course in May. I've got some experience with handguns, but not as an owner and figure the class is the best first step.

Anyway, I guess I'll see you guys around the forums and hopefully at a meet-up sometime in the future.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Welcome to the forums.

I think it's wise to take things gradually. Feel free to come and observe. There's a meet up tomorrow night in Redlands. It's a bad drive on the 91 in rush hour traffic.However if you are already in theIE during the day, it might be worth just hanging back and stop by.

Redlands meet up thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/40183.html

jaydog

imported post

Legend_AB wrote:
Welcome to the OCDO forums jaydog!

As Sons of Liberty already suggested, try to make it out to Redlands tonight.
I probably won't be able to make it out tonight, the drive is just too far from where I work in rush hour traffic, even with a FastTrak for the 91 part of the way. I'll probably have to pick another meetup either closer to home or on a weekend. I wouldn't mind making the drive down to San Diego on the weekend for a meetup there.

DEFENSOR

imported post

Welcome to the forum,

Good advice from the guys there. Feel free to come unheeled maybe even empty holster if you are of a mind. I have only carried once for the same reason you cited. I will take every opportunity I can to carry in groups but not solo.If you can't make Redlands try the SanDiego meet, I don't think that it has taken place yet. If it is this weekend I may be able to make it. This is a great chance for you to get familiar with the experience before lashin down that hogleg.

Sincerely, Defensor