• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about CCW permit and bypassing NICS checks

gonejon

imported post

Hello fine folks of opencarry.org. I recently discovered that in Arizona if you obtain a CCW, you can bypass the NICS check. I sent it to a relative in California (just to mess with said relative, and sort of throw it in said relative's face =] ) and said relative responded by asking if they hold a reciprocal CCW with AZ, can they too bypass the check here in AZ?

I responded that I would doubt if that was the case, but promised to consult the expertise of this forum and and get back to said relative.

For documentation purposes, said relative is perfectly able and legal to buy firearms in California (obviously has a CCW permit for that state) but prefers their privacy much like I do when it comes to this and other matters involving the beast we call the State.

All advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Pace

imported post

No, because you can not buy a gun in another state where you are not a resident.

And second, you are not "bypassing NICS" check because you have a permit, which they claim does much more thorough check, and will be taken away (in theory) if you do something bad.

gonejon wrote:
Hello fine folks of opencarry.org. I recently discovered that in Arizona if you obtain a CCW, you can bypass the NICS check. I sent it to a relative in California (just to mess with said relative, and sort of throw it in said relative's face =] ) and said relative responded by asking if they hold a reciprocal CCW with AZ, can they too bypass the check here in AZ?

I responded that I would doubt if that was the case, but promised to consult the expertise of this forum and and get back to said relative.

For documentation purposes, said relative is perfectly able and legal to buy firearms in California (obviously has a CCW permit for that state) but prefers their privacy much like I do when it comes to this and other matters involving the beast we call the State.

Thank you.

brokenbarrel

imported post

you know thats a good question because walmart has a listing in their gun department of states that residents are allowed to buy a gun here in arizona.If im not mistaken washington is one of them off the top of my head..BUT that may only be long guns seeing as how thats all walmart carries.:?

mFonz77

imported post

Pace wrote:
No, because you can not buy a gun in another state where you are not a resident.

Not exactly true. This is up to the state. In Missouri for example you must be a MO resident or a resident of a neighboring state. You can't take a handgun with you if you purchase it in another state (it must be shipped to an FFL in your state) but you can still buy it.

wrightme

imported post

freshjonng wrote:
The names Jon

I'm trying to find a Glock 17 I can purchase from a private party.

The reason is that I am 18 and can only purchase a Handgun if through a private party. There has been a couple robberies in my street and I would like to start Open Carrying and keeping a handgun in my house for Home defense.

My price range is around $450.

Thanks, Guys and Gals:exclaim:

gonejon wrote:

Thank you.

Any more? :?

Just wondering.......

Sonora Rebel

imported post

wrightme wrote:
freshjonng wrote:
The names Jon

I'm trying to find a Glock 17 I can purchase from a private party.

Thanks, Guys and Gals:exclaim:

gonejon wrote:
Hello fine folks of opencarry.org. I recently discovered that in Arizona if you obtain a CCW, you can bypass the NICS check.

Thank you.

Any more? :?

Just wondering.......
I caught the same smell... 'Fishin' bait'.

PavePusher

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
Pace wrote:

Not exactly true. This is up to the state. In Missouri for example you must be a MO resident or a resident of a neighboring state. You can't take a handgun with you if you purchase it in another state (it must be shipped to an FFL in your state) but you can still buy it.
And, depending on the laws of the state of purchase and the state of residence, long guns are often just fine. I've bought several rifles in Utah, though I ama legal resident of Vermont and a military resident of Arizona. Liberty ROCKS!