• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Defense while intoxicated

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Just thought of this, seeing as how its St Patties day and I just got home from the bars. So anyway, lets say I go to bed now, and an hour later a BG breaks into my place and enters my brandishing a shotgun. Now if I were to shoot, would I be in any trouble because I was intoxicated? I'm just curious, does being intoxicated forfeit our right to self defense?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

no it does not invalidate your right to self defense. Just make sure bad guy / guys has a gun or a weapon on him/them before pulling trigger...otherwise, gonna be tough to explain.:?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

"The defendant admits partying with several un-named acquaintances at the bar and to a general invitation to his home to continue the drunken revelry. This is substantiated by statements from bar management and security personnel. The police found the home unsecured, in disarray and the evidence for the claimed break-in questionable.

I submit, ladies and gentlemen, that this is a case of negligence while intoxicated and that there is no justification for the death of another upstanding citizen."

DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL LIABILITY 939.42 Intoxication.
An intoxicated or a drugged condition of the actor is a defense only if such condition: (1) Is involuntarily produced and renders the actor incapable of distinguishing between right and wrong in regard to the alleged criminal act at the time the act is committed; or (2) Negatives the existence of a state of mind essential to the crime, except as provided in s. 939.24 (3).
Dustiniac wrote:
Just thought of this, seeing as how its St Patties day and I just got home from the bars. So anyway, lets say I go to bed now, and an hour later a BG breaks into my place and enters my brandishing a shotgun. Now if I were to shoot, would I be in any trouble because I was intoxicated? I'm just curious, does being intoxicated forfeit our right to self defense?
As has been attempted here by another, the statutory self-defense in §939.48 is a privilege and not a right. As stated, again by another, common law has been superceded by statutory law in Wisconsin. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

oofdah

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
I'm just curious, does being intoxicated forfeit our right to self defense?

NO.

I have personal experience in this matter. If you would like to know more, shoot me a PM.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL LIABILITY 939.42
Intoxication.
An intoxicated or a drugged condition of the actor is a defense only if such condition:
(1) Is involuntarily produced and renders the actor incapable of distinguishing between right and wrong in regard to the alleged criminal act at the time the act is committed; or
(2) Negatives the existence of a state of mind essential to the crime, except as provided in s. 939.24 (3).

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

the statutory self-defense in §939.48 is a privilege and not a right.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

privilege - a special benefit, exemption from a duty, or immunity from penalty, given to a particular person, a group or a class of people.

right - an abstract idea of that which is due to a person or governmental body by law or tradition or nature.

When you think about it the legal hairsplitting between "privilege" and "right" makes sense.

Self-defense is a legal privilege one may use to protect one's right-- In this case the right to life. You also have a right to liberty, which includes going about your business without interference by others. You may use your privilege of self-defense to protect that right also. Remember the use of the privilege must be proportional to the threat. You generally cannot shoot somebody for blocking your way down the street, but you if they refuse to move you may (theoretically) shove them if that's what it takes to stop their unlawful interference. Obviously a certain amount of forethought and prudence is advised before deciding to use this privilege.

If you literally had a "right" to self-defense it won't make much sense, because a right is something you have due to you from others. Since it is SELF-defense, then you'd have to have the right due to you, from yourself! And that makes little sense.

If there was a right to just "defense" then the government (and perhaps all other people) would have a legal duty to protect you, personally. Which is not the case. The government provides for a general defense, but not a personal defense of each individual.

It might be correct to say you have a "right to use the privilege" but that is an odd way to put it.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL LIABILITY 939.42
Intoxication.
An intoxicated or a drugged condition of the actor is a defense only if such condition:
(1) Is involuntarily produced and renders the actor incapable of distinguishing between right and wrong in regard to the alleged criminal act at the time the act is committed; or
(2) Negatives the existence of a state of mind essential to the crime, except as provided in s. 939.24 (3).
In simple terms: Don't do anything illegal while drunk and expect to be excused due to the drunkenness. But it certainly does not prohibit you from doing something that is legal, to include defending yourself from an attack.

Legalities aside, you'll be more capable of providing for your own defense and that of others if you remain sober at all times. (Hopefully!)