• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Baraboo Wisconsin

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
There is no Range Finder I know of that can detect school property boundary lines, and it is 1000'ft from those property boundaries.

However, if he bounced it off the school building then the distance would be less than 917 feet to the lot line.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Mlutz wrote:
cowboyridn wrote:
If you want to do an event here, that would be cool. When i was stopped the first time, I showed them my law enforcement ID, I'm a retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer, but that didn't matter, the second time I was questioned after shopping at walmart tonight I again showed them my ID and still it didn't matter. It seems that they are getting upset with me for having to respond everytime they get called.
I have heard from aformer officer, you can cc with the permit Wisconsin has for former officers. One of the guys from a local gun range showed me his permit that "allowed" him to cc. Strange, I may have to stop out there again and ask him about it.
That Officer is carrying under HR 218. Active duty officers can carry under the same law. This law also includes corrections officers.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
My former employer Federal Prison in Oxford Wisconsin refused to train us and local law enforcement won't provide training either, so we have to wait until the improvment act is passed before I can get a permit to cc
You can go to a technical colleg and take the firearms course. This meets the standards and you would then have to contact the AG's Office and receive the certificate that allows you to CCW under HR 218.

H.R. 218 FAQ – TCB Revised Draft – December 17, 2009
Q: Can a retired law enforcement officer obtain firearm training and/or qualification services from a Wisconsin Technical College?
A: Yes, subject to certain conditions.
There is nothing in H.R. 218 that requires retired officers to obtain firearm training or qualification services from any particular source. Nor does the federal law require a law enforcement agency to follow any specific procedures for testing or otherwise finding that an individual retiree does or does not meet the agency’s firearm qualification standard for active officers. How to go about making that determination has been left to the discretion of individual law enforcement agencies.
One possible method of making such a determination would be for a law enforcement agency to itself test or otherwise directly examine the firearm qualifications of individual retirees. Another possible method would be for the agency to allow individual retirees to have their firearm qualifications determined by a third party, such as a Technical College. The individual retiree would then have to supply the agency with documentation of the third party’s determination.
Such third-party documentation, standing alone, would not be enough to satisfy the credential requirements of H.R. 218. Rather, the agency would itself have to examine that third-party documentation and determine, in consultation with its own legal counsel, whether that documentation satisfactorily establishes that the retiree has met the agency’s qualification standard for an active officer to carry the type of firearm for which the retiree seeks certification.
If the agency is satisfied with the determination made by the third party, then the agency can itself issue the retiree a document certifying that he or she has been found by the agency to meet the agency’s qualification standard for an active officer to carry the type of firearm in question. The latter certification issued by the agency would meet the requirements of 18 U.S.C. § 926C(d)(1).

LOERetired

imported post

An employee at kwick Trip at the corner of highway Hwy 12 and Hwy 33 that called the police which happened on Sunday 3-14-09. I left Kwick Trip and was walking down Hwy 33 and was stopped by three officers just past culvers on 33. It was walmart employees that called the cops last night 3-17-09, and they were adults not high school students.

Don

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I was told that they would keep responding when ever they get called.

Police are allowed to lie to you.

You are not allowed to lie to the police.

Having said that, I suspect (hope) that the police do the right thing and stop responding/wasting resources responding to what they know to be a law-abiding citizen going about his law-abiding business.

If they continue to detain you even after they know you to be a law-abiding citizen, I believe its harassment. In the future, should you be approached by the same officers more than once PLEASE document every encounter.

Its your choice, but at this point you may wish NOT to have consensual conversations with the police in Baraboo.

If you consent to the encounter, its not harassment. If you indicate that you'd like to go free on your way and they prohibit you from doing so, its not a consensual encounter and I believe it is in your best interest to document these encounters with notes and open-records requests. Voice-recorders are also a great tool for documentation.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. has filed and won civil lawsuits against municipalities and officers who exceed their authority. We will continue to review instances of harassment of law-abiding citizens in the future for potential civil litigation. I encourage you to document these encounters should WCI be able to/choose to be a resource for you in the future. (and wouldn't hurt to join) ;)

LOERetired

imported post

Well, I went back to Walmart shopping today with no problems, then I went to Menards and also had no problems, however, when I went into Blains Farm and Fleet the Manager approched me and asked why I was caring a gun, and I told him I was a retired law enforcement officer and its legal to open carry. he said that the store don't allow guns and that I must leave, so I did.

Don

LOERetired

imported post

With the advice of members here, I am caring a digital recorder with me now!!

Don

LOERetired

imported post

Also, thanks for the support, the adviceand backing, I feel better about OC now.

Don

scorpio_vette

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
Well, I went back to Walmart shopping today with no problems, then I went to Menards and also had no problems, however, when I went into Blains Farm and Fleet the Manager approched me and asked why I was caring a gun, and I told him I was a retired law enforcement officer and its legal to open carry. he said that the store don't allow guns and that I must leave, so I did.

Don

without trying to sound rude, but i personally would leave out the bit about "i'm a retired law enforcement officer". after all, ALL law abiding citizens have the right to open carry. NOT just law enforcement. wouldn't want anybody taking your words and turning them however they see fit now would we???

LOERetired

imported post

Do you mean "Leaving out the retired law enforcement" part when I encounter the police, or from this forum? I understand that OC is for everyone not just former law enforcement, which is great.

Don

LOERetired

imported post

Is it 1000 feet from the property line or the school? If it was the property line, I was closer then 917 feet. The oficer used a lazer range finder and pointed at the school, he had a direct line of site to the school.

Don

LOERetired

imported post

The problem with getting a cc from my former employer, the Federal Prison is they won't issue it to me period, it don't matter where I get the training from, they don't want the liability associated with issueing a cc card. I wrote letters to all the police department in Madison when I lived there asking if they would train me and issue me a cc card and they refused for the same reason. I even wrote the the AG and they responded stating that they cannot issue me a cc either. So, here we sit as retired law enforcement cought in a loop hole. i was hoping the improvement act would pass which would allow us to get trained anywere and get our cc.

Don