• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Baraboo Wisconsin

LOERetired

imported post

I was walking last sunday and stopped in a gas station while OC and the store attendant called the cops and they stopped me wile I was within 917 feet of a school zone. I was hand cuffed and they took my hand gun and checked my pistol serial number, however I was not arrested. Tonight I walked into Walmart after work and again the cops were called and I was stopped outside of walmart by the police and questioned. I was told that they would keep responding when ever they get called.

Don

hardballer

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
I was walking last sunday and stopped in a gas station while OC and the store attendant called the cops and they stopped me wile I was within 917 feet of a school zone. I was hand cuffed and they took my hand gun and checked my pistol serial number, however I was not arrested. Tonight I walked into Walmart after work and again the cops were called and I was stopped outside of walmart by the police and questioned. I was told that they would keep responding when ever they get called.

Don
OC can be trying but perseverance pays off. There will be others along shortly to weigh in on this one. Welcome and Congratulations on your first OC.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WOW, cuffed for legal OC, JERKS !! Sounds like your town Police are real tough, harassing Law abiding citizens.....Next time lock your ID inside your car & don't say a word to them......917 feet from GFSZ, how did the cop know exact footage ?? Tell them to maybe post signs GFSZ signs every 50 feet.:)

barronburke

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:

Don
Sorry to here, this is why we need to get out more and show people we won't back down and that it should be a crime to report a false crime. That is what it is when you report a person for open carrying it is reporting a crime. The reason I say this is that it costs money to report to every call of open carrying and its stupid to think that somebody with a openly holstered firearm is a criminal just my 2 cents

Mlutz

imported post

If anyone else wants to do an event in Boo, I will be there.

LOERetired

imported post

The one cop had a lazer range finder, thats how he knew the distance

LOERetired

imported post

If you want to do an event here, that would be cool. When i was stopped the first time, I showed them my law enforcement ID, I'm a retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer, but that didn't matter, the second time I was questioned after shopping at walmart tonight I again showed them my ID and still it didn't matter. It seems that they are getting upset with me for having to respond everytime they get called.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Mlutz wrote:

I will be at a 2nd Amendment Rally in Tomah, hosted by Ed Thompson, on Sunday, March 21. The event is posted on Wisconsin Carry Inc. Events page.

After that....

I will be coming down to Baraboo to do a couple of hours shopping at several businesses.

Cowboy, I sent you a PM.

Carry On & Carry Always!

Mlutz

imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Mlutz wrote:

I will be at a 2nd Amendment Rally in Tomah, hosted by Ed Thompson, on Sunday, March 21. The event is posted on Wisconsin Carry Inc. Events page.

After that....

I will be coming down to Baraboo to do a couple of hours shopping at several businesses.

Cowboy, I sent you a PM.

Carry On & Carry Always!
Well, looks like I will be seeing you in Tomah. No carry for me though, holster will not be here yet...

Mlutz

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
If you want to do an event here, that would be cool. When i was stopped the first time, I showed them my law enforcement ID, I'm a retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer, but that didn't matter, the second time I was questioned after shopping at walmart tonight I again showed them my ID and still it didn't matter. It seems that they are getting upset with me for having to respond everytime they get called.
I have heard from aformer officer, you can cc with the permit Wisconsin has for former officers. One of the guys from a local gun range showed me his permit that "allowed" him to cc. Strange, I may have to stop out there again and ask him about it.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Mlutz wrote:
Well, looks like I will be seeing you in Tomah. No carry for me though, holster will not be here yet...

OOHH NO! You are not getting out that easy. Alot of us going have extra holsters.

What firearm will you be carrying?

LOERetired

imported post

My former employer Federal Prison in Oxford Wisconsin refused to train us and local law enforcement won't provide training either, so we have to wait until the improvment act is passed before I can get a permit to cc

Mlutz

imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Mlutz wrote:

OOHH NO! You are not getting out that easy. Alot of us going have extra holsters.

What firearm will you be carrying?
A Hi-Point 40 s&w. The ONLY company that makes a holster for it is Fobus. After the two month run around from my local gun shop, and gander mountain in Onalaska said "they do not make a holster for that," and the "can't you just order it from them.' I had to go to Fobus directly.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is my take on the situation.

First, you didn't end up in jail so it wasn't a BAD encounter.

Having said that: There is no Range Finder I know of that can detect school property boundary lines, and it is 1000'ft from those property boundaries.

Next:

If you could provide specific date(s) and time(s) of the interactions, I would like to submit an "open records" request to the Baraboo Police Department to learn WHO called the police.

If the call came from the gas station attendant for example, then we need to talk with the management to educate them on the legality of OC.

If WalMart employees called LEO, then they need to be educated as well.

I sent a PM, please respond to it with additional information.

Like others here, if you can provide names/addresses of the businesses in question via PM, I would be more than happy to look into it.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
My former employer Federal Prison in Oxford Wisconsin refused to train us and local law enforcement won't provide training either, so we have to wait until the improvment act is passed before I can get a permit to cc
S. 2084:School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act of 2007, 110[sup]th[/sup] Congress died in committee in 2007

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-2084

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Lurchiron

imported post

Shhhh...they got geographical boundry finding laZers; resitance is futile :lol::dude::shock:.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
There is no Range Finder I know of that can detect school property boundary lines, and it is 1000'ft from those property boundaries.
No, but a LASER can be reflected from the curb line, the building wall, the school zone sign AND the officer (of the court!) is presumed honest and correct by his fellow officer of the court, the judge.

scorpio_vette

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

is it just me, or isn't walmarts corporate policy to allow carrying in accordance with the law??? and didn't we just have a few people in the last couple months that had issues with walmart, and they were "supposedly" going to send out bulletins to the stores again to make sure that their employees were properly aware???

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:

is it just me, or isn't walmarts corporate policy to allow carrying in accordance with the law??? and didn't we just have a few people in the last couple months that had issues with walmart, and they were "supposedly" going to send out bulletins to the stores again to make sure that their employees were properly aware???
YES, WalMart policy is to follow state law. AND YES, many Walmart employees (being high school students, don't know this. That is why I have already submitted an FOI request to determine who called.