• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Baraboo Wisconsin

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Well, if you have violated no laws and the Police try and stop you while you are walking down the street. Just keep walking. A simple, "Sorry Officer I don't have time to stop and chat right now" will be sufficient. Then if they arrest you sue their pants off!

smithman

imported post

It sounds like you were on private property anyways when they range-finded the school. If they knew anything about school zones it should be that private property is ALWAYS exempt from them. And shame on them for having a range finder to try and subvert your rights on technicalities to begin with. I don't know how some jerks like this sleep at night.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Specifically regarding the Walmart calling the police issue:

Continue to try and to talk to the regional manager next.

The issue here is, it doesn't matter if their associates are uncomfortable or not. If they have a corporate policy, ALL employees follow the policy or WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE!

When you talk with the next guy/gal up the food chain, as him/her if they would be OK with an associate calling the police because a minority made the employee "uncomfortable?" Ask them why they would want to condone prejudice? It is obvious someone in the store has a prejudice, don't they have a policy against prejudice? Ask for an explanation as to WHY they called the police, in violation of corporate policy. Ask them how many other law-abiding customers they have called the police on.

Start a log, keeping track of who you talk to, when, and for how long.

It took me about six weeks to get my issue with the Plover Walmart corrected.

The views expressed here are my views only, they are NOT the views of any organization I may be a part of.

protias

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
I was walking last sunday and stopped in a gas station while OC and the store attendant called the cops and they stopped me wile I was within 917 feet of a school zone. I was hand cuffed and they took my hand gun and checked my pistol serial number, however I was not arrested. Tonight I walked into Walmart after work and again the cops were called and I was stopped outside of walmart by the police and questioned. I was told that they would keep responding when ever they get called.

Don
I haven't read the rest of the replies, but if they have no RAS, they really should not be responding per Van Hollen's memo put out last year.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
I was walking last sunday and stopped in a gas station while OC and the store attendant called the cops and they stopped me wile I was within 917 feet of a school zone. I was hand cuffed and they took my hand gun and checked my pistol serial number, however I was not arrested. Tonight I walked into Walmart after work and again the cops were called and I was stopped outside of walmart by the police and questioned. I was told that they would keep responding when ever they get called.

Don
and so by now have you contacted a lawyer to see if a civil action can be filed? Have you made an official compaint?

Violating your Fourth Amendment rights should not be tolerated or else it will get more common.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
In this situation, the police had reason to believe I was commiting a crime because I was close to a school, so they had probable cause to detain me. I was taken into custody and hancuffed, that is when they took my gun and ran the serial nuber. I had no way of preventing them from doing that.
Earlier in the thread, he made this admission, quoted above. What effect does it have on his potential civil action, please?

Mlutz

imported post

McX wrote:
another hi point-er!
I'm not sure if this means you also support Hi-Point, or if you have a problem with my choice of firearm...

scorpio_vette

imported post

Mlutz wrote:
McX wrote:
another hi point-er!
I'm not sure if this means you also support Hi-Point, or if you have a problem with my choice of firearm...

well if he does have a problem with your choice of firearm, then he's gonna have a hard time explaining a certain accessory he carries around with him. LOL

Mlutz

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Mlutz wrote:
McX wrote:
another hi point-er!

well if he does have a problem with your choice of firearm, then he's gonna have a hard time explaining a certain accessory he carries around with him. LOL

I think I may understand now. :) Sometimes the words that are being read can be misconstrued, Thanks scorpio.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Mlutz wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
Mlutz wrote:
McX wrote:
another hi point-er!

I think I may understand now.  :)  Sometimes the words that are being read can be misconstrued, Thanks scorpio. 

i hear ya. that's why it's so important to try and word things properly, and even more important to use lots of smiley's and other emoticons (which this forum doesn't have enough of. LOL could really use a "thumbs up" emoticon and some others.)

and yeah he has a hi-point. i've thought about getting a hi-point for a while, and after checking out his hi-point, it made me think a little more about getting one.

LOERetired

imported post

In this situation, the police had reason to believe I was commiting a crime because I was close to a school, so they had probable cause to detain me. I was taken into custody and hancuffed, that is when they took my gun and ran the serial nuber. I had no way of preventing them from doing that.

Making this statement will not affect a possible suit because the act is currently law, however, if it is deemed unconstitutional, then there actions become unlawfull.

Don

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
Making this statement will not affect a possible suit because the act is currently law, however, if it is deemed unconstitutional, then there actions become unlawfull. Don
Yeah, ex post facto (see COTUS I 9:3a) and beyond the jurisdiction of US Courts because justice cannot be done to all damaged by unconstitutional infringements.

See "Justiciability in the United States" in your favorite legal reference.

LOERetired

imported post

In reference to my posting, after thinking about what happened, the cops didn't find out until after I was in custody that I was 917 feet from a school, so prior to detaining me, they did not have probable cause.

Don

scrapesman

imported post

Hi Cowboy,

I'm a reporter at WKOW-27 (ABC) in Madison. Your story sounds interesting. Could you give me a call here at 608-271-2954? My email is bschaper@wkowtv.com.

Thanks,

Bob Schaper

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

If I were given a pass when the police had proof of me committing a felony, I would not go after them for how they handled the incident and I would not want TV, radio, newsprint, etc broadcasting to the world that I committed a felony but did not get charged...;)

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:

If I were given a pass when the police had proof of me committing a felony, I would not go after them for how they handled the incident and I would not want TV, radio, newsprint, etc broadcasting to the world that I committed a felony but did not get charged...;)

Technically, he didn't commit a felony unless he KNEW he was within 1000 feet of a school. That's what the statute says, 'knowingly'.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:

Technically, he didn't commit a felony unless he KNEW he was within 1000 feet of a school. That's what the statute says, 'knowingly'.

If I knew where a school was, but I am a really bad judge of Distance ( also time) and I claim, "I did not realize I was THAT close". Would that costitute a defense?

Now, I know it would be if I did not know there was a school there.