• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms being transferred interstate?

FMJ

imported post

Hi, I have a friend who's father in law in Montana just passed away. Apparently he had about 15 firearms, and the family is willing to give them to him. My friend is a CT Pistol Permit Holder. Some are long guns, and some are handguns. Assuming that all are legal in CT, what is the procedure for getting them to CT? He is willing to go to Montana to facilitate the transfer. I would think that the transfer would have to be from FFL (there) to FFL (here). If anyone knows, please fill me in... Thanks.

gluegun

imported post

Well, my research turned that bit up as well, but I left it out as the OP stated that the family of the deceased has agreed to give the firearms to the friend. The OP didn't say he was entitled to the firearms. Wouldn't that put it outside of a bequest or intestate succession as ownership of the firearms has already been transferred to whomever gets the property under Montana state law?

gluegun

imported post

Ah ok, that makes sense.

That would just leave Montana law, and making sure none of the firearms are in conflict with the CT Assault Weapons Ban.

gluegun

imported post

It would seem that is the plan.

In most situations though, what you suggest would be against the law. However, since the situation appears to be as NavyLT described, it's legal in this case.

dcmdon

imported post

I'm not going to tell you what the fringes of the law are. I'm not an attorney.

What I am going to tell you, I know is legal, practical and reasonably convenient.

1) its not worth it financially for you to go to Montana to pick up the guns. If you are going there anyway, it is legal for long guns to be Xfered to you by a local FFL. I know it is not legal for handguns under normal circumstances, although in your situation I don't know.

2) your relatives can legally ship all the guns without a FFL. However, because of shipping restrictions, for example, handguns need to go over night if you are not an FFL, it may be cheaper to actually ship out via an FFL. He can ship out parcel post flat rate. i.e. handguns can go for about $5 ea.

3) You must receive the guns through a CT FFL under normal circumstances. Although is the case of a deceased relative, you may not need to.

So, where does that leave you? I'd just have the family bring them to a dealer and have them shipped to a local dealer. Most will cut you a break on fees if there are multiple guns going all at once. Is this the only way to do things? No. But its not going to break the bank and it is easy for your relatives in Montana.

If I was going to drive out there, I don't know what I'd do. I have a big problem with telling the government when guns are passed down in a family. I might just do nothing and bring them back to CT. (Although I'm certainly not advocating that you do that)

Remember, CT does NOT have mandatory gun registration. There is no such thing as "an unregistered gun" in CT.

Don

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I have not read the laws on interstate transfer of Long guns, since CT requires no paperwork for long gun transfer in private sales, why would an FFL need to be involved?

Handguns are another story.

gluegun

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
because thats what FEDERAL law requires. I don't have time to cite the statute but I'm sure you can find it if you look.

Gunbroker's FAQs are a good place to start.

Also, your statement that CT does not require paperwork in the Xfer of a long gun is not quite right. You have to go through the whole process of getting an approval number unless:
1) you have a pistol permit
2) you have a hunting license
3) some other things I can't remember, active law enforcement I believe.

And even if the person receiving the long gun does qualify above, a bill of sale must be completed and you must retain the bill of sale for 5 years.

Don
Actually the waiting period and paperwork is only require for "at retail" sales and transfers. Private party sales of long guns do not require a pistol permit, eligibility certificate, or hunting license. Nor is any paperwork required.

GunFire

imported post

I was in New Hampshire last summer and stopped into a gun shop, a semiautomatic shotgun said it wanted to come home with me.

The owner called in the purchase and I was told that I could not take the shotgun home with me, the owner said he had to ship it to a local FFL in CT.

I left the shotgun in the store, as I was not going to pay shipping and a FFL Transfer cost.

The ATF is coming to see me to go over my Form 7 FFL Application this Friday and go over all the ATF Regulations. So my FFL will be hanging on my wall very soon.

Leverdude

imported post

GunFire wrote:
I was in New Hampshire last summer and stopped into a gun shop, a semiautomatic shotgun said it wanted to come home with me.

The owner called in the purchase and I was told that I could not take the shotgun home with me, the owner said he had to ship it to a local FFL in CT.

I left the shotgun in the store, as I was not going to pay shipping and a FFL Transfer cost.

The ATF is coming to see me to go over my Form 7 FFL Application this Friday and go over all the ATF Regulations. So my FFL will be hanging on my wall very soon.

That surprises me. I'v bought several guns in NH & walked out the door with them.

Prior to that I had been told it had to be a "contiguous" state, one that touched ours. But since learned that state law governs long gun transfers & residents of CT can purchase long guns in any state as long as that state doesn't forbid it.

I recently read a list of the states & their laws that said the same thing. Thought it was here on this forum but I may well be wrong.