• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Events?

Chubs2287

imported post

Are there any up-coming open carry events here in CT?

Besides for the Second Amendment March, which is an empty holster event.

Chubs2287

imported post

Rich B wrote:
If I get the time, I will recommit to getting this site done:

http://opencarry.subtlehustle.com/

I have basically decided to exit the 'dinner' concept and go to the 'event' idea. So it will be an acceptable place to add open carry trash pickups, marches, dinners, hang outs, etc.

I only hope it will benefit people...

Yes, Thank you. I was reading of trash pick-up events and other thing going on in other states, and feel we should be doing the same thing.

If anyone would like some help setting up some events I will be more than happy to when tax season is over and I don't have to work 6 days at 70-80 hours a week.

Rich B

imported post

I agree, I would love to be involved in some open carrying in groups. I am a bit too shy at the moment to do it myself, but I think I would be a lot more willing if I could bolster my confidence in a group activity.

That is why I think the site could be helpful. We all need to exercise our rights and inform people, but not everyone has the courage and conviction to do this on their own right off the bat. We need to work together to increase our numbers and make a statement.

Chubs2287

imported post

Hell no! I open carry as much as possible now, after 3 weeks ago learning about this site and joining CCDL, and am trying to educate the public as much as possible. I am only 22 almost 23 and I get a lot of looks from people, but I am very friendly to everyone and by the end of our conversations they have a smile on their face.

I do want to open carry in a group to send a bigger message to the public.

Chubs2287

imported post

Yes, I will be going to the picnic, but that is one event and is not until August. We should have a lot more before and after that.

Chubs2287

imported post

Well I was reading about a trash clean up in Cali and I love that idea as it shows that we care about our community, and will educated the people that we gun owners are good citizens and are not all crazy red necks.

I've never organized anything like this and really don;t know where to begin, but will give it a shot. I am open to suggestions.

Where: I'm not to sure what parks to clean or would have a great showing of people. I was thinking of maybe in New Haven or maybe the West Haven Beaches. Or if there are some places off limits.

When: April 17, 2010 12:00pm - 3:00pm

After the park go out and get something to eat!!!

Chubs2287

imported post

Well I was just reading that Firearms are not allowed in East Rock and Edgewood Park. I'm not a 100% sure, but I thought since Feb 22, firearms are allowed in state and local parks.

I haven't been to Lighthouse Point in New Haven, but I think it sounds nice. I will have to go scope it out and see if it is dirty. If not I feel it will be at West Haven Beaches.

gluegun

imported post

Since Feb 22nd firearms are allowed in NATIONAL parks and Federal Wildlife Refuges.
In CT this means on the Appalachian Trail and in Weir Farm National Historic Site. Since the Appalachian Trail goes through two state parks, it's unclear where along the Appalachian Trail you are allowed to carry. I've sent a letter requesting clarification.

State parks and forests are still not allowed.

gluegun

imported post

Also, be careful that you don't go to a beach in New Haven that is in a city park. (don't know if there are any) New Haven has an ordinance prohibiting firearms from any "park or recreation area." This would be "All parks and other facilities under the jurisdiction of the board of park commissioners and the parks department."

West Haven may have similar prohibitions, but I can't find their ordinances online.

Chubs2287

imported post

Thank you for clarifying that. I will continue to research about West Haven Beaches as that is really where I want to host the event.

Chubs2287

imported post

Wow. I just called West Haven PD.

Me: "Are there any laws or regulations about carrying firearms on the West Haven Beach?"

Dispatcher:"Why would you want to carry a firearm on the West Haven Beach?"

Me: "Because I have a Right too with my Carry Permit"

Dispatcher: "As long as it is concealed, but again why do you need a gun on the beach?"

(Me frustrated with the lack of knowledge he has)" But that is just your opinion and not the law correct?"

Dispatcher: "Yes, have a great day. (click)" (Didn't even let me say goodbye)

Humm, what should I do to inform the West Haven Police department on "Our Rights to Carry?"

gluegun

imported post

There are going to be a lot of changes in the coming months. I wouldn't worry too much about informing the police on your rights to carry. They're either aware and blatantly lying, or they don't know and don't care.

If you're going to plan something, just treat it like any other community service event. Ask the relevant questions of the relevant people, nothing more. (e.g. "Is there any reason I can't go to the beach and pick up trash?", "Do I need a permit to pick up trash on the beach?", etc)

Why do we have to announce to the powers that be that we're doing something perfectly ordinary and legal? Should it matter that we're carrying a gun on our hips?

Of course, some audio recorders and video cameras wouldn't hurt...

gluegun

imported post

Also, a minor critique that may not be warranted as I'm sure you were paraphrasing your conversation:

I probably would have worded my question a bit differently. Something more along the lines of "I have a valid permit to carry and carry my pistol for protection wherever legal. Is there any prohibitions against me carrying it at the beach?" (Hindsight is 20/20, I know) The way you put it seems a bit suspicious from the police's point of view.

I got similar treatment after I corrected someone at DPS about pistol possession within the home. They transferred me as quick as possible once I told them they were wrong. No use getting angry about it. We know our rights. We're just trying to be law abiding citizens.

Chubs2287

imported post

Yea, I though about it after wards and wish I asked it differently. It just frustrates me the lack of knowledge coming from a dispatcher knowing if someone calls them that they will definitely send a car or 12 investigate. I guess I will have to call tomorrow and ask the questions about the litter pick up without regards to firearms which I did get an answer that they are not prohibited as long as it is "concealed", little does he know that it doesn't and meaning therefor no laws against firearms in general.