Thread: Question about Colt Combat Commander 9mm

Post imported post

I have a 9mm Colt Combat Commander that I've owned for 25 years or so. I love this firearm, but it sometimes jams at the range, causing me to hesitate using it for defense. A gunsmith says that the only problem with it is the original Colt magazine follower jamming and not pushing up the front of the bullet to load. Even taking the magazine apart and "stretching" the spring does not help 100% of the time. He suggested getting the Wilson Combat magazine. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Post imported post

http://gunsprings.com

1911 magazines are somewhat scarcer and spendier than their .45acp counterparts. Replace the spring first, see how that works. If you're good to go, might as well hunt up some spare mags if the Commander is going into your carry rotation.

Post imported post

S&W41mag wrote:
    I have a 9mm Colt Combat Commander that I've owned for 25 years or so. I love this firearm, but it sometimes jams at the range, causing me to hesitate using it for defense. A gunsmith says that the only problem with it is the original Colt magazine follower jamming and not pushing up the front of the bullet to load. Even taking the magazine apart and "stretching" the spring does not help 100% of the time. He suggested getting the Wilson Combat magazine. Does anyone have another suggestion?
    I'd try a couple different brands of magazines, Wilsons are a good place to start. Magazine issues are the single most common 1911 issue out there.

Post imported post

There are also performance springs to be had, and often those have a little flip to the spring that helps shove the tip up. Should be able to get heavier springs too.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

The Tripp Cobra Mag is pretty good too. http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

-Gruu