• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Colt Combat Commander 9mm

S&W41mag

imported post

I have a 9mm Colt Combat Commander that I've owned for 25 years or so. I love this firearm, but it sometimes jams at the range, causing me to hesitate using it for defense. A gunsmith says that the only problem with it is the original Colt magazine follower jamming and not pushing up the front of the bullet to load. Even taking the magazine apart and "stretching" the spring does not help 100% of the time. He suggested getting the Wilson Combat magazine. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Brian D.

imported post

http://gunsprings.com

1911 magazines are somewhat scarcer and spendier than their .45acp counterparts. Replace the spring first, see how that works. If you're good to go, might as well hunt up some spare mags if the Commander is going into your carry rotation.

sevenplusone

imported post

S&W41mag wrote:
I have a 9mm Colt Combat Commander that I've owned for 25 years or so. I love this firearm, but it sometimes jams at the range, causing me to hesitate using it for defense. A gunsmith says that the only problem with it is the original Colt magazine follower jamming and not pushing up the front of the bullet to load. Even taking the magazine apart and "stretching" the spring does not help 100% of the time. He suggested getting the Wilson Combat magazine. Does anyone have another suggestion?
I'd try a couple different brands of magazines, Wilsons are a good place to start. Magazine issues are the single most common 1911 issue out there.

Batousaii

imported post

There are also performance springs to be had, and often those have a little flip to the spring that helps shove the tip up. Should be able to get heavier springs too.