Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: If US states allow open-carry of guns, why not Britain?

  1. #1
    Regular Member hardballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    Posts
    925

    Post imported post

    Citizens in many US states carry guns openly, leading to people both feeling and being safer.

    Interesting article in the Christian Science Monitor.

    Here's the link to the full story.

    http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/The-A...hy-not-Britain

    The Adam Smith Institute is the UK's leading innovator of free-market economic and social policies. Politically independent and non-profit.

    Perhaps contacting them for an interview might be profitable for us and the UK as well. Food for thought.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

    http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    61

    Post imported post

    Because those in Britain have, effectively, no rights anymore.

    They've never had a right to firearms.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Joliet, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    I didn't know that Illinois was part of the British Empire.


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Because their sceert!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    I'm going to go with, Because they don't have the right to bear armsfor $600 Alex.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ShaunKranish from ICarry.org, ,
    Posts
    243

    Post imported post

    Everyone HAS the right to bear arms - it's a natural right. It can't be taken away - only infringed.

    The codification of the right, in our 2nd Amendment, actually stems from England. It was an old tradition there, but they've let it slip.

    In other news, looks like we're letting the right to choose our own healthcare be infringed

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Post imported post

    David59 wrote:
    I didn't know that Illinois was part of the British Empire.
    Or Wisconsin. If people are too lazy to post in the appropriate forum, why don't we just have one humongous thread called "Gun Stuff"? Starting a thread about the U.K. inthe Wisconsinforum because that's where you live is like your local librarian cataloging everything under "Library Science" because that's her profession.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627

    Post imported post

    apjonas wrote:
    David59 wrote:
    I didn't know that Illinois was part of the British Empire.
    Or Wisconsin. If people are too lazy to post in the appropriate forum, why don't we just have one humongous thread called "Gun Stuff"? Starting a thread about the U.K. inthe Wisconsinforum because that's where you live is like your local librarian cataloging everything under "Library Science" because that's her profession.
    Rough bunch here.

    What ever happen to being pleasant and making suggestions nicely?

    I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image. Maybe the OP could have placed it better, but he can't move it now can he.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    400

    Post imported post

    Why not Britian?

    Because the British social life has different tears to it. For example you have Dukes, Kings, Lords, Squires, etc. The nobles needed to control the peasants. The gun isthe great equalizer (unless of cores you have a nuclear bomb). Here in the founding of the good old USA the founding Fathers did away with such titles because all men are created equal. Now did we have flaws ; yes, but under principle all men are equal under the protection of the law.


    The British Crown tried to take the guns out of the Colonials hands. The British saw the Colonials as lower subjects. Research some quotes about guns made by the Founding Fathers. Thus we have the 2A because they new what a government with corrupt people will do. When a government fears the citizenry it will go after the guns.

    It is a God given right and responsibility to protect life and property.
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

    I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

  10. #10
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    doesn't seem like they had a shortage of guns when england was arguing with ireland as to who owned dublin.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image.
    Many Wisconsin forum participants deny the import of a "great public image", preferring to exercise their freedom of expression.

  12. #12
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    first amendment rights? i thought they dumped them when they squashed 2nd amendment rights back in the 80's?

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image.
    Many Wisconsin forum participants deny the import of a "great public image", preferring to exercise their freedom of expression.
    I've noticed - from mildly to vigorously - sometimes heedless of price.

    If we are to be guests here, the least we can do is attempt to honor the direction and spirit of the rules. Public perception is important and adherence to that precept has been made before.

    That said, good things seem to be on the cusp in Wisconsin.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    That said, good things seem to be on the cusp in Wisconsin. Yata hey
    Another word for cusp is 'edge', as in bleeding edge.

  15. #15
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187

    Post imported post

    Just a thought I had. If the Brits had stronger wills, WE would still be a British Colony without our Bill of Rights or Constitution.

    We won our freedom from them, then we turn around and shed our blood in WWI and WWII as their allies.



  16. #16
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187

    Post imported post

    Packer fan wrote:
    Why not Britian?

    Because the British social life has different tears to it. For example you have Dukes, Kings, Lords, Squires, etc. The nobles needed to control the peasants. The gun isthe great equalizer (unless of cores you have a nuclear bomb). Here in the founding of the good old USA the founding Fathers did away with such titles because all men are created equal. Now did we have flaws ; yes, but under principle all men are equal under the protection of the law.


    The British Crown tried to take the guns out of the Colonials hands. The British saw the Colonials as lower subjects. Research some quotes about guns made by the Founding Fathers. Thus we have the 2A because they new what a government with corrupt people will do. When a government fears the citizenry it will go after the guns.

    It is a God given right and responsibility to protect life and property.
    You gave us a very sound and intellectual answer. Thank You.

    If I were to guess, I would assume you either majored or minored in History in college. It would be even more impressive if you were a self-study.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    400

    Post imported post

    Self-study, I love history and eat everything and read everything I can.

    I do not follow the PC history of today. I read as much original or as old as possible.

    If one truly wants to know about the roots of our freedoms here in the US they would read and understand the principles laid out in the Bible.

    Self governing

    Right to self deafens

    Right to express ones opinion

    All men are equal (in importance, not jobs)

    etc

    If one were to study history and not the PC history of todayyou would find that the Bible is were we in the US derive our rights. The British blockedBibles from entering into the colonies so Noah Webster (who also wrote the first Englishdictionary) translated his own from the Greek manuscripts.

    Guns to our founding fathers were quintessential (yes I too know how to use big words) to our freedoms and to openly carry agun and know how to use it was expected.


    A good book to read is "Lives of the Singers of Independence" http://shop.wallbuilders.com/index/p...ion+%28Book%29

    The book was first printed in 1848 so it doesn't have the PC slant of today in it. What you will read in this book is the same thing that is happening in the US today.


    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

    I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Post imported post

    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Nobody cares. I just feel better pointing out the silliness of the practice from time to time.

    Grapeshot wrote:
    apjonas wrote:
    David59 wrote:
    I didn't know that Illinois was part of the British Empire.
    Or Wisconsin. If people are too lazy to post in the appropriate forum, why don't we just have one humongous thread called "Gun Stuff"? Starting a thread about the U.K. inthe Wisconsinforum because that's where you live is like your local librarian cataloging everything under "Library Science" because that's her profession.
    Rough bunch here.

    What ever happen to being pleasant and making suggestions nicely?

    I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image. Maybe the OP could have placed it better, but he can't move it now can he.

    Yata hey

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    MadisonRebel wrote:
    Because those in Britain have, effectively, no rights anymore.

    They've never had a right to firearms.
    Sure, they did.

    The English Bill of Rights of 1689.

    "7. That the subjects which are protestants, may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions, and as allowed by law."

    http://www.constitution.org/bor/eng_bor.htm

    Also, there isa video, a part of a documentary or a news piece, on YouTube about it. We've known about their 1689 Bill of Rights provision for years, but it is almost as though some Britsare only recently re-discovering it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  20. #20
    Regular Member hardballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    Posts
    925

    Post imported post

    Sorry about this thread folks. I guess I didn't realize my error. I have seen it mentioned in other posts since I wrote this one and understand the need to keep it about open carry and Wisconsin in here. Just a note to apjonas here. I am not 'lazy' so much as inattentive or even ignorant of the rules here. I learn as I go and certainly did not mean to offend you so. As for the Brits, they're on their own over there.

    hardballer out. . .
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

    http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

  21. #21
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    since they're English, and drive on the left side of the road, would they have to carry their guns on their left sides?

  22. #22
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image.
    Many Wisconsin forum participants deny the import of a "great public image", preferring to exercise their freedom of expression.
    That, and you get a pickle & cole-slaw with it :what:.
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Post imported post

    Don't worry about it. It is a common occurence. I was not offended. It's simply a pet peeve and I like to complain about it. I'm not important enough thatyou should care about what I think. Next time just throw in something about Wisconsin cheese and all will be well.

    hardballer wrote:
    Sorry about this thread folks. I guess I didn't realize my error. I have seen it mentioned in other posts since I wrote this one and understand the need to keep it about open carry and Wisconsin in here. Just a note to apjonas here. I am not 'lazy' so much as inattentive or even ignorant of the rules here. I learn as I go and certainly did not mean to offend you so. As for the Brits, they're on their own over there.

    hardballer out. . .

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image.
    Many Wisconsin forum participants deny the import of a "great public image", preferring to exercise their freedom of expression.
    Reminds me of something from my distant past "For better or worse."

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •