• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If US states allow open-carry of guns, why not Britain?

hardballer

imported post

Citizens in many US states carry guns openly, leading to people both feeling and being safer.

Interesting article in the Christian Science Monitor.

Here's the link to the full story.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/The-...ates-allow-open-carry-of-guns-why-not-Britain

The Adam Smith Institute is the UK's leading innovator of free-market economic and social policies. Politically independent and non-profit.

Perhaps contacting them for an interview might be profitable for us and the UK as well. Food for thought.

SAK

imported post

Everyone HAS the right to bear arms - it's a natural right. It can't be taken away - only infringed.

The codification of the right, in our 2nd Amendment, actually stems from England. It was an old tradition there, but they've let it slip.

In other news, looks like we're letting the right to choose our own healthcare be infringed :banghead:

apjonas

imported post

David59 wrote:
I didn't know that Illinois was part of the British Empire. :)
Or Wisconsin. If people are too lazy to post in the appropriate forum, why don't we just have one humongous thread called "Gun Stuff"? Starting a thread about the U.K. inthe Wisconsinforum because that's where you live is like your local librarian cataloging everything under "Library Science" because that's her profession.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

apjonas wrote:
David59 wrote:
Or Wisconsin. If people are too lazy to post in the appropriate forum, why don't we just have one humongous thread called "Gun Stuff"? Starting a thread about the U.K. inthe Wisconsinforum because that's where you live is like your local librarian cataloging everything under "Library Science" because that's her profession.
Rough bunch here.

What ever happen to being pleasant and making suggestions nicely?

I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image. Maybe the OP could have placed it better, but he can't move it now can he.

Yata hey

Packer fan

imported post

Why not Britian?

Because the British social life has different tears to it. For example you have Dukes, Kings, Lords, Squires, etc. The nobles needed to control the peasants. The gun isthe great equalizer (unless of cores you have a nuclear bomb). Here in the founding of the good old USA the founding Fathers did away with such titles because all men are created equal. Now did we have flaws ; yes, but under principle all men are equal under the protection of the law.

The British Crown tried to take the guns out of the Colonials hands. The British saw the Colonials as lower subjects. Research some quotes about guns made by the Founding Fathers. Thus we have the 2A because they new what a government with corrupt people will do. When a government fears the citizenry it will go after the guns.

It is a God given right and responsibility to protect life and property.

M

McX

imported post

doesn't seem like they had a shortage of guns when england was arguing with ireland as to who owned dublin.

M

McX

imported post

first amendment rights? i thought they dumped them when they squashed 2nd amendment rights back in the 80's?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image.
Many Wisconsin forum participants deny the import of a "great public image", preferring to exercise their freedom of expression.
I've noticed - from mildly to vigorously - sometimes heedless of price.

If we are to be guests here, the least we can do is attempt to honor the direction and spirit of the rules. Public perception is important and adherence to that precept has been made before.

That said, good things seem to be on the cusp in Wisconsin.

Yata hey

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Just a thought I had. If the Brits had stronger wills, WE would still be a British Colony without our Bill of Rights or Constitution.

We won our freedom from them, then we turn around and shed our blood in WWI and WWII as their allies.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Packer fan wrote:
Why not Britian?

Because the British social life has different tears to it. For example you have Dukes, Kings, Lords, Squires, etc. The nobles needed to control the peasants. The gun isthe great equalizer (unless of cores you have a nuclear bomb). Here in the founding of the good old USA the founding Fathers did away with such titles because all men are created equal. Now did we have flaws ; yes, but under principle all men are equal under the protection of the law.

The British Crown tried to take the guns out of the Colonials hands. The British saw the Colonials as lower subjects. Research some quotes about guns made by the Founding Fathers. Thus we have the 2A because they new what a government with corrupt people will do. When a government fears the citizenry it will go after the guns.

It is a God given right and responsibility to protect life and property.

You gave us a very sound and intellectual answer. Thank You.

If I were to guess, I would assume you either majored or minored in History in college. It would be even more impressive if you were a self-study.

Packer fan

imported post

Self-study, I love history and eat everything and read everything I can.

I do not follow the PC history of today. I read as much original or as old as possible.

If one truly wants to know about the roots of our freedoms here in the US they would read and understand the principles laid out in the Bible.

Self governing

Right to self deafens

Right to express ones opinion

All men are equal (in importance, not jobs)

etc

If one were to study history and not the PC history of todayyou would find that the Bible is were we in the US derive our rights. The British blockedBibles from entering into the colonies so Noah Webster (who also wrote the first Englishdictionary) translated his own from the Greek manuscripts.

Guns to our founding fathers were quintessential (yes I too know how to use big words) to our freedoms and to openly carry agun and know how to use it was expected.

A good book to read is "Lives of the Singers of Independence" http://shop.wallbuilders.com/index/page/product/product_id/54/category_id/5/product_name/Lives+of+the+Signers+of+the+Declaration+%28Book%29

The book was first printed in 1848 so it doesn't have the PC slant of today in it. What you will read in this book is the same thing that is happening in the US today.

apjonas

imported post

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Nobody cares. I just feel better pointing out the silliness of the practice from time to time.

Grapeshot wrote:
apjonas wrote:
David59 wrote:
Rough bunch here.

What ever happen to being pleasant and making suggestions nicely?

I really hate it when I see flaming or insults within the forum, great public image. Maybe the OP could have placed it better, but he can't move it now can he.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MadisonRebel wrote:
Because those in Britain have, effectively, no rights anymore.

They've never had a right to firearms.
Sure, they did.

The English Bill of Rights of 1689.

"7. That the subjects which are protestants, may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions, and as allowed by law."

http://www.constitution.org/bor/eng_bor.htm

Also, there isa video, a part of a documentary or a news piece, on YouTube about it. We've known about their 1689 Bill of Rights provision for years, but it is almost as though some Britsare only recently re-discovering it.

hardballer

imported post

Sorry about this thread folks. I guess I didn't realize my error. I have seen it mentioned in other posts since I wrote this one and understand the need to keep it about open carry and Wisconsin in here. Just a note to apjonas here. I am not 'lazy' so much as inattentive or even ignorant of the rules here. I learn as I go and certainly did not mean to offend you so. As for the Brits, they're on their own over there.

hardballer out. . .