• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife-Wielding Attacker Shot Dead

jaydog

imported post

Although I looked and couldn't find this posted here, I apologize if I missed it and it was already posted.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-man-with-knife-shot-dead,0,2103052.story

It does not say whether the man was open carrying or concealed carrying but he was carrying nonetheless and I think that is the important thing. I think the other important thing to take away from this news story is that it provides real world example of the mentality of law-abiding gun owners when it comes to carrying for defense. The man in the story didn't attempt to confront the knife wielding man in the parking lot like some vigilante, but only used his sidearm when the man attempted to attack him as he was trying to leave the area.

Decoligny

imported post

jaydog wrote:
Although I looked and couldn't find this posted here, I apologize if I missed it and it was already posted.

It does not say whether the man was open carrying or concealed carrying but he was carrying nonetheless and I think that is the important thing. I think the other important thing to take away from this news story is that it provides real world example of the mentality of law-abiding gun owners when it comes to carrying for defense. The man in the story didn't attempt to confront the knife wielding man in the parking lot like some vigilante, but only used his sidearm when the man attempted to attack him as he was trying to leave the area.

And this has to do with California how?

This should probably be posted in the Tennessee forum. The California forum is for discussing issues that deal with or have some relevance to Open Carry inCalifornia.

jaydog

imported post

My apologies, you a probably right...I just bookmarked the California section and when I posted this just forgot about the "greater" forum at large as I had been spending most of my time here...if a moderator wants to move the topic or remove it since it was already discussed in the appropriate section that would be fine.

Wc

imported post

jaydog wrote:

It does not say whether the man was open carrying or concealed:banghead:

Wc

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
Or how close he was to a schoolbus stop.

Once again; from the OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum Rules:
If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it. Thanks!
#7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

So, what's your purpose and intentions are you doing here? Last time I checked you wrote “just experience”. We the members beside you, don't needs your psycho experienced for your doing the experiences on us. I noticed you always jumping to conclusions to come to a conclusion prematurely, without sufficient thought or on incomplete evidence.

Now, please back your claim upabout the 'how close he was to a schoolbus stop'on this topic and without doing an experience on us.

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER
The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships
jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods like PincheOgro1or experts in a given field like yelohamris doing an experience on us andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will say this, I bet you the shooter didn't have to load his gun in order to protect him self either, how about that for some level of relevance to California

having a gun is better than having nothing, but being unable to carry loaded openly is insanely rediculous, but I know you all have been over that. I hope things change over there for the better.

PT111

imported post

From the article it appears that the shooter was in his car when attacked so does it matter or even a part of the discussion if he was OC or CC. He was in his car so he could very well have had it in his console. The important thing is that he was able to defend himslef and others including his children.

One thing that disturbs me about this board is how so many try their best to pick apart anything anyone posts and find something negative to say about it. Mybe this was in thr wrong forum but it was still and interesting story and demonstrates how we should always be prepared.

yelohamr

imported post

Wc wrote:
yelohamr wrote:

#7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

So, what's your purpose and intentions are you doing here? Last time I checked you wrote “just experience”. We the members beside you, don't needs your psycho experienced for your doing the experiences on us. I noticed you always jumping to conclusions to come to a conclusion prematurely, without sufficient thought or on incomplete evidence.

Now, please back your claim upabout the 'how close he was to a schoolbus stop'on this topic and without doing an experience on us.

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER
The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships
jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods like PincheOgro1or experts in a given field like yelohamris doing an experience on us andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

The article didn't say. Just like the way you pointed out that the article didn't say how he was carrying.

troll.

inbox485

imported post

Wc wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
Or how close he was to a school bus stop.

If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it.  Thanks!
#7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority.  Citing to authority, using links when available, is what makes OCDO so successful.  An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Now, please back your claim up about the 'how close he was to a school bus stop' on this topic and without doing an experience on us.

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER
The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time.  All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships
jpierce, Pace, and dirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods like PincheOgro1 or experts in a given field like yelohamr is doing an experience on us and there is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!

I don't know who taught you English, but you should have fired them a long time ago. Your post looks like a Google translation. Perhaps you could spend less time trolling and more time learning.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wc wrote:
yelohamr wrote:

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER
What does "experience on us" mean?

jaydog

imported post

I'm reluctant to post to a topic that I realize I probably should have posted elsewhere, however the reason I posted this up was not so much the event, but to illustrate a real world example of what I believe is the mentality of all law-abiding gun owners who would like to carry for personal defense. That mentality is we aren't looking to take the law into our own hands and confront people that should be left for law enforcement, who have the training to deal with these types of people. The gun owner in this article didn't confront the knife wielding man or try to perform a citizen's arrest. Instead he was leaving the parking lot and only used his sidearm when his life (and the life of his family) was in intimidate and clear harm. Whether he was open carrying or conceal carry is far from the point, the point being that he was carrying. I think examples like these are good rebuttals to attacks by the Brady Campaign.

inbox485

imported post

jaydog wrote:
I'm reluctant to post to a topic that I realize I probably should have posted elsewhere, however the reason I posted this up was not so much the event, but to illustrate a real world example of what I believe is the mentality of all law-abiding gun owners who would like to carry for personal defense. That mentality is we aren't looking to take the law into our own hands and confront people that should be left for law enforcement, who have the training to deal with these types of people. The gun owner in this article didn't confront the knife wielding man or try to perform a citizen's arrest. Instead he was leaving the parking lot and only used his sidearm when his life (and the life of his family) was in intimidate and clear harm. Whether he was open carrying or conceal carry is far from the point, the point being that he was carrying. I think examples like these are good rebuttals to attacks by the Brady Campaign.

Do you think it would have been a bad thing if the guy with the gun had confronted the guy with the knife as he was trying to attack others. I don't fault people for putting their family first and getting them out of their, but had his family's safety not been an issue and he confronted the guy in the store to stop him from hurting somebody else, would he have been wrong?

OPS MARINE

imported post

This occurred in Tennessee, and that is a "shall issue" state. Because of the gun laws there, it is highly likely that this man carried concealed. Also, because none of the witnesses reported seeing a weapon before the suspect was shot, this further leads to the conclusion that the weapon was concealed.

Furthermore, when the police arrived, according to an eyewitness on the news, he placed the weapon on the ground and handed the Officers a permit (or so she thought). Obviously a permit is required to CC.

And the cite: http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/generalinfo.htm

Paladin4CA

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
This occurred in Tennessee, and that is a "shall issue" state. Because of the gun laws there, it is highly likely that this man carried concealed. Also, because none of the witnesses reported seeing a weapon before the suspect was shot, this further leads to the conclusion that the weapon was concealed.

Furthermore, when the police arrived, according to an eyewitness on the news, he placed the weapon on the ground and handed the Officers a permit (or so she thought). Obviously a permit is required to CC.

And the cite: http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/generalinfo.htm
It is my understanding that in Tennessee you need a permit to either CC or OC.

As to the other poster prior to that, it is all mans duty (and when I say mans I don't mean men only) to protect society when they have the chance to. In California however you run a risk and you have to take that with that in mind.

I won't mind going to jail having defended my family, but the risk of protecting someone that isn't my family may give me reason to pause.

OPS MARINE

imported post

You know, Theseus, that is a good point. I will not be running 100 yards toward a bad situation...I will be on the phone. Actually, you just gave me an idea.