• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife-Wielding Attacker Shot Dead

We-the-People

imported post

I get asked at least once a month about "what will you do if you're at the mall and someone starts shooting". It also comes up at school quite often in discussions about lawful carry on campus.

I'm in Oregon and have a CHL so it's lawful but they won't admit it. Our fight is much easier in most places than those of you living in Cali. I follow the Cali forum because I have business and family in Cali and "dabble" in loaded and unloaded carry there (loaded when on private property in the family only).

Most of the time people are surprised when I tell them "go the other way unless my wife is in the direction of the gunfire".

They just can't grasp the difference between an officer that should (but isn't required) to protect the public and my carrying for SELF defense.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We-the-People wrote:
I get asked at least once a month about "what will you do if you're at the mall and someone starts shooting". It also comes up at school quite often in discussions about lawful carry on campus.

I'm in Oregon and have a CHL so it's lawful but they won't admit it. Our fight is much easier in most places than those of you living in Cali. I follow the Cali forum because I have business and family in Cali and "dabble" in loaded and unloaded carry there (loaded when on private property in the family only).

Most of the time people are surprised when I tell them "go the other way unless my wife is in the direction of the gunfire".

They just can't grasp the difference between an officer that should (but isn't required) to protect the public and my carrying for SELF defense.
Of course it doesn't help that we perpetuate the idea by using school shootings in our arguments.

Perhaps our counter to the question should be exactly that. "Let me be clear, I am not a superhero. I carry to protect me and my family. You are on your own unless the laws change to allow me to protect you without risking jail or personal liability."

PT111

imported post

Theseus wrote:
We-the-People wrote:

Of course it doesn't help that we perpetuate the idea by using school shootings in our arguments.

Perhaps our counter to the question should be exactly that. "Let me be clear, I am not a superhero. I carry to protect me and my family. You are on your own unless the laws change to allow me to protect you without risking jail or personal liability."

Here in SC we have the legal Alter-Ego principle where you are protected legally by acting as another in a case of defense. For example you are in the mini-mart where a clerk is being held at gunpoint and about to be shot then you may act as that clerk in defendin them. With that said I am not about to go running across a parking lot where I see a shooting happening 100 yards away. I have a CWP but it does not make me a police officer or any other agent of the law. Those running around with CWP badges or asking if I now have some legal obligation since I have a CWP or even if I am carrying a gun have been either watchin too many TV shows or reading too much BS on the Internet. Nothing changes from a standpoint of defending others just because you are legally carrying a gun.

That is one of the problems we face when exercising our rights, that too many do not understand what their righs are and thinking that all of a sudden everything changes just because of some piece of paper or some item that they are carrying. For example the alter-ego principle applies to everyone, not just some special class of people. If you want to be a hero go ahead, but be sure you know what you are getting into before you start. There are too many looking for and excuse to use their gun rather than a situation where they have to. Before you pull your gun out think of what would you do if you did not have it on you. That can save you a lot of time, money and grief.

We-the-People

imported post

Theseus wrote:

No, I doubt that helps. However, at my school, discussion always includes this subject (because I make sure it does). I tell them, it's to defend ME, not you. The only way my carrying a firearm would protect you is if you're in the same room I pick for my defensive area or next to me in the hall on the way out the door.

I then follow up with "see, you need to get your OWN permit and weapon".

The other one that I make sure to mention is what happens when there is an acive shooter in the building and the police arrive....... secure the perimeter and WAIT.

They don't like that one either.

OPS MARINE

imported post

Sex change? Nope. The woman in the avatar has meaning. But as you can see, I have changed it. I was actually using it as a place holder.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Theseus wrote:
We-the-People wrote:

Or perhaps, "I'm taking responsibility for me and mine... it's not my problem if you and yours don't do the same."

That's not to say I would stand idly by while someone needed help. It'sa traumatizing eventwatching even a total stranger die. I justhope I'm never in a situation where I have to choose between theconsequences of action and the consequences of inaction.

inbox485

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Theseus wrote:
We-the-People wrote:

Or perhaps, "I'm taking responsibility for me and mine... it's not my problem if you and yours don't do the same."

That's not to say I would stand idly by while someone needed help. It'sa traumatizing eventwatching even a total stranger die. I justhope I'm never in a situation where I have to choose between theconsequences of action and the consequences of inaction.
My response would be to take the physicians approach:
  1. Do no harm (don't risk hitting a bystander to stop a bad guy)
  2. Glove up before getting your hands dirty (no matter how bad you are bleeding a medic will stop to put gloves on before treating you - don't put yourself at unreasonable risk - if you die, you're part of the body count not part of the solution)
  3. Cure the problem if you can (stop the bad guy)
  4. Let it go if you can't help

dirtykoala

imported post

Wc wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
Or how close he was to a schoolbus stop.

Once again; from the OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum Rules:
If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it. Thanks!
#7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

So, what's your purpose and intentions are you doing here? Last time I checked you wrote “just experience”. We the members beside you, don't needs your psycho experienced for your doing the experiences on us. I noticed you always jumping to conclusions to come to a conclusion prematurely, without sufficient thought or on incomplete evidence.

Now, please back your claim upabout the 'how close he was to a schoolbus stop'on this topic and without doing an experience on us.

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER
The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships
jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods like PincheOgro1or experts in a given field like yelohamris doing an experience on us andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!
Hey buddy, when did i identify myself "as an dictatorships"?, and your first two posts were the same thing (spam) and pretty sales-like, you seemed like you were here advertising flexyourrights.org...
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=36147&forum_id=12&jump_to=655563#p655563

spam: "Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message..."

http://spam.abuse.net/overview/whatisspam.shtml

posting the same message on 2 topics is pretty spam-like. so, you are a spammer, and i dont recall saying anything about you being anti leo, you werehowever salesmenish.

how are pinche or yelo "doing an experience" on you? sounds like some alien encounter stuff that you shouldnt be telling people about...

you joined this website on valentines day and spammed afew threads... i bet i know what you werent doing.

I ARE DICTATORSHIPS! GARRRRRRR!

Gerry M

imported post

jaydog wrote:
My apologies, you a probably right...I just bookmarked the California section and when I posted this just forgot about the "greater" forum at large as I had been spending most of my time here...if a moderator wants to move the topic or remove it since it was already discussed in the appropriate section that would be fine.

Did you have to be so offensive to point out such a simple thing?
More bees with honey than vinegar:banghead::banghead:

yelohamr

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Wc wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
Or how close he was to a schoolbus stop.

DISCLAIMER
The law is always in a state of flux and even politics law enforcers, lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All my advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an dictatorships
jpierce, Pace, anddirtykoala(are wrongfully accused me as a spammer, anti-law enforcement and commercial sales), acting gods like PincheOgro1or experts in a given field like yelohamris doing an experience on us andthere is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!
Hey buddy, when did i identify myself "as an dictatorships"?, and your first two posts were the same thing (spam) and pretty sales-like, you seemed like you were here advertising flexyourrights.org...
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=36147&forum_id=12&jump_to=655563#p655563

spam: "Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message..."

http://spam.abuse.net/overview/whatisspam.shtml

posting the same message on 2 topics is pretty spam-like. so, you are a spammer, and i dont recall saying anything about you being anti leo, you werehowever salesmenish.

how are pinche or yelo "doing an experience" on you? sounds like some alien encounter stuff that you shouldnt be telling people about...

you joined this website on valentines day and spammed afew threads... i bet i know what you werent doing.

I ARE DICTATORSHIPS! GARRRRRRR!

He was a science project that went bad.

I would have mentioned the thing about your dictatorship, but didn't want it to go to your head.:)