• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Found this poll on WFSB's website...

Rich B

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
so that does mean more right?
It is a difference of 572 people who think businesses should not be allowed to forbid carrying of a firearm.

That is not nearly the margin that would make me comfortable.

Polls and surveys are normally terrible indicators of public opinion, even when the percentages are extremely skewed, but this one is even more worthless with this kind of margin.

Much like the Heller decision, I am not impressed by the narrow margin, this should be nearly unanimous.

Chubs2287

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Chubs2287 wrote:
so that does mean more right?
It is a difference of 572 people who think businesses should not be allowed to forbid carrying of a firearm.

That is not nearly the margin that would make me comfortable.

Polls and surveys are normally terrible indicators of public opinion, even when the percentages are extremely skewed, but this one is even more worthless with this kind of margin.
/agreed

Ctclassic

imported post

I know one thing for sure, this 'poll' just instills that much more drive for me to do my part in getting the message out (by way of OC) to get the public used to seeing it and understanding that just because someone is OC'ing they need not be afraid. Hell, we might just save their life one day.

Leverdude

imported post

Personally I think people should be able to ban guns on their private property if they want. I would hope they chose not to but private property rights are pretty important too. I'm still flabbergasted when I think how the gov't can tell people that they cant allow smoking in their privately owned restaurants etc.

I think that sets a precedent that may come back to haunt us.

stacks04

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
Personally I think people should be able to ban guns on their private property if they want. I would hope they chose not to but private property rights are pretty important too. I'm still flabbergasted when I think how the gov't can tell people that they cant allow smoking in their privately owned restaurants etc.

I think that sets a precedent that may come back to haunt us.
x2. i am all over 2nd amendment but private property law is much more important. from there you can make your case to a business owner with your wallet.

GunFire

imported post

Think of it this way, Drinking is legal. Being Drunk is legal.

Now as the owner of your property if you do not like drunks and you do not want them on your property or in your house or in you business.
Can you Ask, Demand, or exercise your right to not allow that person or persons on your property. Yes you can.

I can use smoking also, if you do not smoke do you allow it in your home by others?
Rights are funny things. they go both ways. It really comes down to respect of the persons property you are on.

Just saying

Rich B

imported post

GunFire wrote:
Being Drunk is legal.
Not in public it is not. That is called 'public intoxication'.

I can use smoking also, if you do not smoke do you allow it in your home by others?

That is hardly relevant. Smoking is banned in public establishments in most states by law.

I know you are just trying to make analogies, but neither of these work at all.

GunFire

imported post

Then giving the owner respect on his property is. If you cannot respect the owners wishes then he can ask you to leave. Just as you would do at your home.
And Smoking is for restaurants not guns shops. A guns shop owner may or may not want you to smoke in his store. If he does not it is his right to do so.

If there is a CT statute that requires no smoking in a retail store by ct statue please send me the statue Number. As I said before there are two right's to this subject the owners/property Rights and what your Right by CT statute is. I would love to read it. Thanks

As I said before there are two right's on this subject the property owner and what the Ct statue's are. The property owner Trumps the state in this matter.

Check out Sec. 19s-342 Listed under chapter 368m Nuisances Smoking prohibited. Exceptions. Signs required,Penalties. Gun shops are not listed at all, private homes are not listed.

So for Discussion IF I have a FFL in my home and you smoke, I can ask you not smoke in my home if you do not like that Please do not come in. (your choice)

My home FFL is a Business under Town and Ct state law.

Once more respect another persons rights in or on there property if you agree with them or not. if not do not enter. seems easy to me.

As always its always great to talk about subjects like this and to hear that others feel and believe.

Rich B

imported post

GunFire wrote:
Then giving the owner respect on his property is. If you cannot respect the owners wishes then he can ask you to leave.  

I have no idea what you were trying to say here.

And Smoking is for restaurants not guns shops. A guns shop owner may or may not want you to smoke in his store.  If he does not it is his right to do so.

What does this have to do with anything? Who wanted to smoke in a gun shop?

If there is a CT statute that requires no smoking in a retail store by ct statue please send me the statue Number.

30 seconds on google yielded this:
http://www.tobaccofreect.state.ct.us/html/ty_tc1.htm

As I said before there are two right's to this subject the owners/property Rights and what your Right by CT statute is.  I would love to read it. Thanks

You seem to be arguing against someone, but I have no idea who since I don't see anyone arguing with you.

Check out Sec.  19s-342 Listed under chapter 368m Nuisances   Smoking prohibited. Exceptions. Signs required,Penalties.  Gun shops are not listed at all, private homes are not listed. 

You keep mentioning smoking at gun shops, but I see nowhere where anyone (but you) argued about smoking anywhere, especially in gun stores.

So for Discussion IF I have a FFL in my home and you smoke, I can ask you not smoke in my home if you do not like that Please do not come in. (your choice)

No one is arguing this.

My home FFL is a Business under Town and Ct state law.  

Good for you. What does this have to do with anything?

Once more respect another persons rights in or on there property if you agree with them or not.  if not do not enter.  seems easy to me. 

Once more, no one argued against this. Why are you continuing to repeat yourself?

bennor

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Interesting find. There is at least one gun store (in Milford) where the employees smoke inside the store. Don't know if they are in violation of any laws but as a customer we do have the choice to not frequent a place where you get smoke blown in your face when you attempt to talk to the staff. The store owner's madea choice and so have I, and the first time in there, about a year ago,was my last. I've always wondered if that store's lost any business due to the heavy smoke smell, staff who were smoking behind the counter,and several ash trays piled high with butts.

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

bennor wrote:
Rich B wrote:
Interesting find. There is at least one gun store (in Milford) where the employees smoke inside the store. Don't know if they are in violation of any laws but as a customer we do have the choice to not frequent a place where you get smoke blown in your face when you attempt to talk to the staff. The store owner's madea choice and so have I, and the first time in there, about a year ago,was my last. I've always wondered if that store's lost any business due to the heavy smoke smell, staff who were smoking behind the counter,and several ash trays piled high with butts.
Here is the state's more up to date version of that.
http://ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3137&q=388054&dphNav=|