• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about concealed carry permits in alabama.

eye95

imported post

You're going to have to count on someone from Jackson County relating his experiences. Each sheriff is different.

You could call the Jackson County Sheriff's Office and ask what their policies are. Possibly, they have a web site.

acrimsontide

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
Cant find any thing on jackson county

From the Jackson County Sheriff web site:

http://www.jacksoncounty-al.us/sheriff.htm

[align=left]Pistol Permits[/align]
[align=left]Alabama pistol permits for residents of Jackson County are purchased at the Jackson County Sheriff's office. Applications for permits are available at the Jackson County Sheriff's main office. Annual Permit Fee for license is $15.00. Renewable by mail with mail fee and expired permit to: Jackson County Sheriff's Office, C/O Pistol Permits, 102 East Laurel Street, Scottsboro, AL 35768[/align]

Sleepless

imported post

I just did some research about gun permits as my fiancee wants me to move from Montreal, Quebec to Madison County where her family is presently living and I am seeing how messed up May Issue really is.

As an example, Madison County forces you to wait 6 months after you have moved there before you can apply for a CHP, Birmingham doesn't have that rule but it does force you to give them name, address and phone number of three references to be contacted before they will issue you a CHP.

I want to make my baby happy and move there so that she can be close to her family but this is totally mind-boggling, especially because you are forced to apply in the county where you are residing and can't apply anywhere else, even though it is for the same area which is the State of Alabama and all counties have the same equipment to do a criminal records check.

So right now I have no idea what to do, I have been contemplating moving to Virginia and dragging her with me but she isn't sure that her mom would let her move, supposedly not for a while at least as the family doesn't know me very well.

I would like your thoughts on the matter and any ideas or suggestions that you may come up with.

To be honest, I need all the help I can get to figure this out. =o(

eye95

imported post

How about this?

In the process of moving, you temporarily set up a residence in a county that will do an instant check, get your permit there (it will be good all over the State), and then make a final move near your fiancee's family. Six months later, apply for a permit in your new home count.

Kingfish

imported post

Sleepless wrote:
I just did some research about gun permits as my fiancee wants me to move from Montreal, Quebec to Madison County where her family is presently living and I am seeing how messed up May Issue really is.

As an example, Madison County forces you to wait 6 months after you have moved there before you can apply for a CHP, Birmingham doesn't have that rule but it does force you to give them name, address and phone number of three references to be contacted before they will issue you a CHP.

I want to make my baby happy and move there so that she can be close to her family but this is totally mind-boggling, especially because you are forced to apply in the county where you are residing and can't apply anywhere else, even though it is for the same area which is the State of Alabama and all counties have the same equipment to do a criminal records check.

So right now I have no idea what to do, I have been contemplating moving to Virginia and dragging her with me but she isn't sure that her mom would let her move, supposedly not for a while at least as the family doesn't know me very well.

I would like your thoughts on the matter and any ideas or suggestions that you may come up with.

To be honest, I need all the help I can get to figure this out. =o(
You could always move to southern Tennessee (I still have family in Fayetteville, TN). Tennessee is Shall issue and the permit is recognized in AL. Training is required though and the fee is ~$120 plus training class($60-$100) but lasts 5 years and renewals are pretty cheap (~$50 if I remember correctly and no retraining.)

Edit: And being in Tennessee would give you a little in-law buffer...Trust me, a 30 mile buffer is very very nice.

eye95

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
Got off of phone with jackson county S O they will honor my CA permit til 6 months is up but they couldnt speak on behalf of state troopers
California is not one of the States whose permits Alabama recognizes. The sheriffs office would be under no legal obligation to keep their word. I strongly recommend against carrying on that CA permit in AL.

49er

imported post

eye95,
Keep the CPL. You need it to carry in your car to get wherever you will be OCing.

... or we could all just switch to carrying long guns or handguns with 12 inch barrels and avoid the hassle if that's what they prefer:

Section 13A-11-70
Definitions.
For the purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:

(1) PISTOL. Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

These don't look half bad :lol::

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2ContenderPistols.php

Edit: If you can find one, S&W made this one in a six shooter:

S+W M629-5 Extreme Hunter 12"