• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gerald Ung

44HP

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
44HP wrote:
Lets see, 4 guys following 1 guy and a female as they're walking away... looks like to me they asked for it. Its pretty obvious they are following them.

So, by your logic, if a group of say a dozen Girl Scouts start following me and taunt me, I'd be justified in drawing my weapon on them? I think not.

We don't know for sure what started this altercation; the details are very vague. We don't know what the verbal exchange was about or who was saying what to whom. These details are important in figuring out how this esculated to drawing a gun.

I'm reserving judgment until I get more tetails. I won't be a party to a kangaroo court.

Girl scouts and grown men are two diffrent things.

It really doesn't matter what who was saying what to whom, the police will look at who the aggressor is and who was trying to leave the situation. You can stand and instigate any fight and as long as you don't lay a hand on someone nothing will happen to you, they will go to jail if they touch you. Even if you are the one taunting.

I see what your trying to say though. I never said if he was justified or not by pulling his weapon, just that if you go looking for a fight with someone and get your ass killed its your own stupid fault.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
So, by your logic, if a group of say a dozen Girl Scouts start following me and taunt me, I'd be justified in drawing my weapon on them? I think not.
If they follow you into the mens room, then yes you must use every means available.
You are looking at child molestation, contributing, etc. Shoot your way out of there
asap.:shock: One jewel thief is all it takes to make you helpless, if they take your gun
you will not be shooting straight with your pistol. :?

The other 3 should have thought to pull there friend away so he doesn't
do something stupid. If you want to stand up against loon with a gun because
he insulted your parental heritage, then he was probably correct in his assessment
in the first place.

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

Just off the video have to agree with Ung. Don't know what else happened before but as I said just off video. He is leaving and being followed. Even after he draws he is backing up and the man moves in. His buddy is circling around the group which cuts off escape. Given the same situation I would probably be in the same boat.

Once again it appears to be one of those things where depending on the jury and the lawyers it could go either way.

I have been jumped by multiple people back in school (lots of gangs and jock A$$holes at my school) The gang fight one guy recognized me and said I was not the guy they were looking for and pulled them off me and the other one I had one guy on the ground arms pinned to his sides punching his head before buddies had a chance to join so they backed up when they saw how quick I took him down (wrestling team freshman year of high school. Had to practice against MMA fighter Dan Henderson).

As much as I believe in the 2A I regret any time where someone has to make the choice to have to use it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This is an interesting case - apparently PA law requires some effort to retreat in public before using deadly force - my understanding is that in Virginia for example, which issued the man his CHP, no effort to retreat is requiredexcept where you were an instigator to the altercation - but the newspaper articles note something about the Defendant first "bumping" one or more of the people involved.

I have a feeling this case may not be resolved until these details are hashed out before a grand jury and/or trial jury.

eye95

imported post

I have a feeling the jury is going to hear the words "mutual combat," and that won't bode well for the gunman.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

got to have guns wrote:
So where you live, you can kill some one over a fist fight?  I didn't see two guns.

I will watch clip again. nope didn't see two!,or a knife.:shock:
I love the constant assumption of a "fist fight".

"Fist fights" are quite rare outside of high schools, bars, jock shops, and the like.

In the real world, hitting someone with a balled fist isn't a "harmless 'fist fight'", it's assault with a deadly weapon.

Please grow up, enter the real world, and abandon the myth that there is something less-than potentially deadly about "fist fights".

One of the biggest problems with this country is punks like DiDonato who think they have some right to assault others with impunity. In reality, if you assault others with your fists (especially with a group) you can and should expect to receive a bullet for your troubles.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
44HP wrote:
Lets see, 4 guys following 1 guy and a female as they're walking away... looks like to me they asked for it. Its pretty obvious they are following them.

We don't know for sure what started this altercation; the details are very vague. We don't know what the verbal exchange was about or who was saying what to whom. These details are important in figuring out how this esculated to drawing a gun.

I'm reserving judgment until I get more tetails. I won't be a party to a kangaroo court.
This was hashed out pretty well when this first came up.

One of the punks was putting on a jock show doing pullups or whatever on the street, Gerald accidentally bumped into him. So the group starts following him "What the fawk!?", finally after some distance the girlfriend tells them to go away (probably using less-polite language), and in response one of the gang grabs at Gerald's girlfriend's arm.

That's when Gerald draws his gun, which is when Eddie lunges for it.

The only person who belongs in court is Eddie, to be lectured for being an aggressor and driving a person to such an extreme, no doubt while thinking he was acting cool and tough and having "fun".

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eye95 wrote:
I have a feeling the jury is going to hear the words "mutual combat," and that won't bode well for the gunman.
I have a feeling you just pulled this out of your nether regions, as there is not a lick of evidence anywhere to suggest this.

Even Eddie's family's PR firm have a hard time explaining it as "mutual combat", even though they've come up with every other justification in the book.

All you have to do is look at the video to see there was no "mutual" "combat" to be seen.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Do we have a source (without a dog in the fight) where those facts are reported?
Well, much of that I gleaned from careful and repeated study of the video.

Here's a random semi-valid citation:

http://www.laxmagazine.com/college_men/DI/2009-10/news/011810_eddie_didonato_shooting
The shooting reportedly stemmed from an argument that broke out on the street between Ung and a group of pedestrians. Police told Fox29, outside whose studio the shooting took place, that DiDonato was bumped while doing chin-ups on scaffolding. Another group rushed Ung, who pulled out a gun and fired on DiDonato, who had stepped in front of the group.

Except that says that it was "another group" and implies that Eddie was trying to intervene.

Not quite. Other articles will reveal that those were Eddie's friends, and he was a part of the group, not somehow between the group and Gerald. It doesn't matter what was going through Eddie's mind when he lunged for that gun, but it wasn't heroics. "Heroism" isn't the state of mind which leads meatheads to put on jock shows and try to start fights using a disparity of force to feel "tough".