• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gerald Ung

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=442504090187

Join the facebook group. Lets show our support. I'm sure everyone
remembers this case. Let's not let it drop off our radar!

I'm afraid, even though I would love to help, I am a grown man whom does not socialize on these two social sites: KidsSpace (myspace) and ChildBook (facebook).

Do you have any other source links that do not go to either of these sites?

Sorry for the trouble.

gis

imported post

jmb_nova wrote:
Not knowing much about the shooter, the other party or the situation, it's hard to make an informed judgment. However, at face value this video doesn't look real good for the shooter. I can see a lot of "dont's" that we teach to avoid in both conflict resolution and CQB training.I wouldn't make this guy a poster child of the carry movement just yet. I suppose I am little different from some people here in that I don't excuse inadequate training using the Second Amendment. To me it's not about the Second Amendment, but rather about personal responsiblity.

TFred

imported post

joeamt wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=442504090187

Join the facebook group. Lets show our support. I'm sure everyone
remembers this case. Let's not let it drop off our radar!
I'm afraid, even though I would love to help, I am a grown man whom does not socialize on these two social sites: KidsSpace (myspace) and ChildBook (facebook).

Do you have any other source links that do not go to either of these sites?

Sorry for the trouble.
It's no trouble, you are the one who is missing information you wish to have.

This Facebook group is "open", you do not need to be a member of Facebook to read it.

I really don't think anyone who works for your ISP will divulge that you visited the site... your secret will be safe.

TFred

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

gis wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:
Not knowing much about the shooter, the other party or the situation, it's hard to make an informed judgment. However, at face value this video doesn't look real good for the shooter. I can see a lot of "dont's" that we teach to avoid in both conflict resolution and CQB training.I wouldn't make this guy a poster child of the carry movement just yet. I suppose I am little different from some people here in that I don't excuse inadequate training using the Second Amendment. To me it's not about the Second Amendment, but rather about personal responsiblity.
I agree. I think it possibly would have been more advantageous to call 911 or the local police dept before drawing your firearm from deep cover and then "looking left then right" with it. The last thing we really want to do is draw to kill, but if the situation requires it... I must have missed the original thread in its entirety due to a busy class schedule recently, however even I would side with Hank and agree not to shoot an unarmed man. In my mind, the attacker, if he was armed, would have either flashed it or brandished it in his hand.

Like gis said, there are a few donts. My thoughts and best wishes go to him though.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
gis wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:
I agree. I think it possibly would have been more advantageous to call 911 or the local police dept before drawing your firearm from deep cover and then "looking left then right" with it. The last thing we really want to do is draw to kill, but if the situation requires it... I must have missed the original thread in its entirety due to a busy class schedule recently, however even I would side with Hank and agree not to shoot an unarmed man. In my mind, the attacker, if he was armed, would have either flashed it or brandished it in his hand.

Like gis said, there are a few donts. My thoughts and best wishes go to him though.
Been discussed, and discussed, and........................................

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

peter nap wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
gis wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:

Been discussed, and discussed, and........................................

beating-a-dead-horse.gif
I applaud your speed ;)

Sorry, totally put my $.02. Didnt mean to in all honesty.

Jonesy

imported post

You can't wait to draw until a punch is thrown, then you may be dead.NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
gis wrote:
jmb_nova wrote:

This has been discussed at length on this site, but I can't help but comment. How can you suggest that he should dial 911, looks like a strong argument for justified self defense, he and his date are being closed in on by a group of thugs, and the main adversary actually throws punches. You can't wait till a blow is thrown by such a group before you draw, that is how you get beat to death. Is he in reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm to himself or others? Maybe so. Doesn't matter that they are not armed with weapons.

Jonesy

imported post

I see 2 of the gun charges were dismissed due to his Virginia permit. The friend testified the thug grabbed at his leg? The video seems to show him throwing punches.

By MENSAH M. DEAN
Philadelphia Daily News

Gerald Ung, the third-year Temple University law school student arrested in January for shooting another man five times in front of the Old City Fox TV studio, this morning was ordered to stand trial on attempted murder and aggravated assault charges.

Philadelphia Municipal Judge David Shuter dismissed two gun charges because Ung had a legal permit to carry a gun from his native state of Virginia.

Ung, 28, out on bail and dressed in a black business suit and dark-rimmed glasses, said nothing during his preliminary hearing.

On Jan. 17, he got into an altercation with four young men at about 2:30 a.m. at 4th and Market streets. Seth Webster, one of the four, testified that Ung pulled out a gun after his friend Tom Kelly started moving toward him. "Get the F--- back," Ung shouted, Webster said.

Another friend, Edward "Eddie" DiDonato Jr., 23, then said to Ung, "Who you gonna shoot?" Webster said.

Ung kicked at DiDonato to keep him at bay, DiDonato grabbed at Ung's leg. As he fell backward, Ung began firing.

He hit DiDonato five times in the upper body. DiDonato, a Villanova University graduate, is still recovering with four bullets in his body and is suffering with paralysis of the bowels, bladder, sexual organs and left foot, said Assistant District Attorney Jan McDermott.

"Years ago what would have ended in a fist fight ended with the paralysis of a 23-year-old kid," she said.

McMahon said the shooting was self-defense. "My client was the victim of bullies," he said. "Four guys are drunk and they think they can bully anybody they want, say whatever they want and do whatever they want."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jonesy wrote:
Please check out the post from Gun Lawyer here, who apparently runs Firearms Law Workshops, and says Ungs behavior was without fault and a textbook case of escalation of force while executing his duty to retreat. GunLawyer writes some impressive posts. http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/86076-old-city-shooting-page-66.html
Excellent analysis - look for the jury/judge to find this way.

Yata hey

driveramsII

imported post

Sounds like a good analysis on GunLawyer's part assuming that Ung had a duty to retreat. I have not looked it up as I don't plan to visit the area but i'm going to assume that Philly has a duty to retreat law?

On a side note:
"Years ago what would have ended in a fist fight ended with the paralysis of a 23-year-old kid,"

This really bothers me! The poor,poor 23 y/o kid got shot.HELLO!!!!!! He was trying to AT LEAST do bodily harm to another, maybe KILL him. When are people going to take some responsibility for their actions and understand that fists are deadly? And unfortunately, my generation is fraught with these morons.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program, sorry about the rant.

TFred

imported post

driveramsII wrote:
Sounds like a good analysis on GunLawyer's part assuming that Ung had a duty to retreat. I have not looked it up as I don't plan to visit the area but i'm going to assume that Philly has a duty to retreat law?

On a side note:
"Years ago what would have ended in a fist fight ended with the paralysis of a 23-year-old kid,"

This really bothers me! The poor,poor 23 y/o kid got shot.HELLO!!!!!! He was trying to AT LEAST do bodily harm to another, maybe KILL him. When are people going to take some responsibility for their actions and understand that fists are deadly? And unfortunately, my generation is fraught with these morons.

I think this case is well worth ranting about. The best case scenario for Mr. Ung is that he will be free, but also minus a very large sum of money spent on defense, and possibly the end of his career plans. The real criminal in this case will under the worst case scenario, walk away with no punishment, aside from the physical injuries sustained, and could very likely pursue civil litigation after the criminal trial is over.

And on top of that, the liberal media, and to a large extent, public opinion because of that, will forever paint the attacker as the victim, no matter what the real outcome of the case. They will claim justice thwarted, not justice served.

TFred

mobeewan

imported post

"Years ago what would have ended in a fist fight ended with the paralysis of a 23-year-old kid," she said.

Fist fight?????? More like a beat down with 4 against 1 and possibility of paralysis or evenworse to the 1.

simmonsjoe

imported post

TFred wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

On a side note:

I think this case is well worth ranting about. The best case scenario for Mr. Ung is that he will be free, but also minus a very large sum of money spent on defense, and possibly the end of his career plans. The real criminal in this case will under the worst case scenario, walk away with no punishment, aside from the physical injuries sustained, and could very likely pursue civil litigation after the criminal trial is over.

And on top of that, the liberal media, and to a large extent, public opinion because of that, will forever paint the attacker as the victim, no matter what the real outcome of the case. They will claim justice thwarted, not justice served.

TFred
Interesting! I wonder if Mr. Ung, when he wins, could sue Mr. DiDonato to recover costs to damaged image and legal fees? I never could understand why this civil liability only went one way....

fully_armed_biker

imported post

23 year old kid? ...Sorry, he is a 23 year old grown ADULT fully responsible for his OWN actions!!! The ADA is trying to vilify Ung for shooting a "kid" when this "kid" and his buddies were ganging up, 4 to 1, on what they had thought was an unarmed man...Tell you what Ms. ADA...let me and 3 of my buddies gang up on you 4 to 1 and see if your opinion doesn't change at all...:cuss:

25sierraman

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
TFred wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

On a side note:

TFred
Interesting! I wonder if Mr. Ung, when he wins, could sue Mr. DiDonato to recover costs to damaged image and legal fees? I never could understand why this civil liability only went one way....
You're making way to much sense here haha. It would be nice to see him sue the pants off of them for his legal costs but i doubt it would work in his favor since he was in possession (legally) of a tool of evil (firearm) !!!!!! I think Didonato got what was coming to him and i hope he remembers that every day of his life if the story is true and went the way it seems to have.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

25sierraman wrote:
You're making way to much sense here haha. It would be nice to see him sue the pants off of them for his legal costs but i doubt it would work in his favor since he was in possession (legally) of a tool of evil (firearm) !!!!!! I think Didonato got what was coming to him and i hope he remembers that every day of his life if the story is true and went the way it seems to have.
There is a price to be paid for one's actions, without any doubt.

Yata hey