Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: saw a man grab a shotgun out of his trunk in broad daylight, on the street

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    i seriously had to look twice to see if that's what he actually grabbed.

    I was coming home from work today, and I was in traffic, stopped at a light on smith st, near central ave.

    Anyway, I was in the left lane, and this guy in a toyota corolla was about 5 cars ahead of me in the right lane, and all of a sudden he gets out of his car, opens his trunk, grabs a shotgun, throws it in the backseat of his car, and then gets in. What the hell?!?!?!

    I looked twice to be sure, and I am 100% sure it was a shotgun he grabbed. I have no idea why. He didn't do anything threatening with it, and he didn't stall or anything. He did all of this while being stopped at a light. There were a couple cars in front of him, and several behind him. I couldn't see the look on the driver's face that was behind him, but I can assure he was probably startled.

    no idea why he did this, or why he felt the need to grab it at the time he did.

    anyway, that brings me to a question.

    considering he did this at the time and under the circumstances that he did, would the driver behind him be justified in hitting him or something? how is he suppose to know he's not some psychopath that's going to start shooting at people???

  2. #2
    Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    592

    Post imported post

    That's Kent for ya.:celebrate

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Post imported post

    I would have immediately thought he was trying to instigate some road rage or something. Weird.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Washington, USA
    Posts
    748

    Post imported post

    Tony Santiago wrote:
    how is he suppose to know he's not some psychopath that's going to start shooting at people???
    But then again, how would he know that he was?
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.


    Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    ak56 wrote:
    Tony Santiago wrote:
    how is he suppose to know he's not some psychopath that's going to start shooting at people???
    But then again, how would he know that he was?
    well it's just a natural response when you see a man pulling out a shotgun from his trunk in the middle of the street. what are the reasons he would be doing that? i cant think of a single reason of why it couldnt have waited until he got to where he was going.

  6. #6
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    What if he was on the phone with someone who wanted to buy it and needed the serial numbers, or if he talking to a gun smith and couldnt describe something without looking at it?
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  7. #7
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    Maybe he heard is clunking around in the truck when he stopped and just wanted to move it to the back seat where it wouldn't get banged around. Maybe he's forgotten it in the trunk for a few days and he wanted to ensure he brought it into the house this time.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667

    Post imported post

    He saw a zombie and wanted to be prepared.
    Live Free or Die!

  9. #9
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    Mainsail wrote:
    Maybe he heard is clunking around in the truck when he stopped and just wanted to move it to the back seat where it wouldn't get banged around. Maybe he's forgotten it in the trunk for a few days and he wanted to ensure he brought it into the house this time.
    maybe he could hear it rubbing on the trunk lid cause there was no room left because of all the bodies...:what:
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South of Disorder in Rouge Canyon, , USA
    Posts
    272

    Post imported post

    Maybe he was going hunting after work ? :celebrate

  11. #11
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    He saw a zombie and wanted to be prepared.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    Maybe it was flopping around and he was worried about the finish. I drive with any rifles I am taking to shoot on the passenger seat of my truck, with their chambers open and no magazines inserted of course.

    Had he chambered a shell or held it at the ready, THEN I would have been nervous.

    Had it been in the Tri-Cities, it might have been me :P

    My neighbors are used to seeing me humping the range bag outside with a rifle strapped to the top of it. Course, it's usually the Ruger 10/22 and admittedly my Ruger looks like a toy at first glance.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    A bit strange. I wouldn't have freaked out, but I would have wondered his intentions for sure.

    That he did this, in traffic, at a stoplight is my concern. Had he been parked along the street I wouldn't have given it as much thought.

  14. #14
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    killchain wrote:
    Maybe it was flopping around and he was worried about the finish. I drive with any rifles I am taking to shoot on the passenger seat of my truck, with their chambers open and no magazines inserted of course.

    Had he chambered a shell or held it at the ready, THEN I would have been nervous.

    Had it been in the Tri-Cities, it might have been me :P

    My neighbors are used to seeing me humping the range bag outside with a rifle strapped to the top of it. Course, it's usually the Ruger 10/22 and admittedly my Ruger looks like a toy at first glance.
    I remember where I was grew up (farm country),I would always see a gun rack in the back winder of almost everytruck. There would be rifles and fishing poles in them. Nobody ever locked their trucks, most trucks after 5 could be found at the bars, and you never heard of a stolen gun, or someone getting shot. But, I also remember any rifle not in a rack was "always" in a case, or wrapped. I to this day, only owning a cheesy marlin 10/22 have it in a case. Now I wonder, why wouldnt he have it in a case to keep from damaging it, if he's going to let it ride around in his trunk?

    Kill chain I used your post as a quote cause that leads me to a question. Can you ride around with a rifle mounted like the police do, and can the rifle be loaded in your vehicle? I'm asking cause I saw you said your have chambers open and mag's removed.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattleish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    76

    Post imported post

    amzbrady wrote:
    Can you ride around with a rifle mounted like the police do, and can the rifle be loaded in your vehicle? I'm asking cause I saw you said your have chambers open and mag's removed.
    It can be in a gun rack, but has to be unloaded. Generally covered by:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460



  16. #16
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    Thats another thing of the past, no one ever carried unloaded. If you ever ask an old kodger where he stored his ammo, he'd tell you, "In the gun where it belongs", and what about extras, "there here in my pocket, got the rest of em in the glove box". Kinda makes me laugh, I always remember seeing shotgun shells everywhere, rolling around on floorboards, in the truck bed, in tackle box's, on kitchen counters. It's like they were so cheap they werent worth picking up if you dropped them somewhere.Course no one carried for self defense or needed to, they just carried in case the freezer started getting empty or in case they got bored.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winlock, , USA
    Posts
    501

    Post imported post

    Tony Santiago wrote:
    well it's just a natural response when you see a man pulling out a shotgun from his trunk in the middle of the street. what are the reasons he would be doing that? i cant think of a single reason of why it couldnt have waited until he got to where he was going.
    People say that about open carry...or concealed carry. What are the reasons for doing THAT. It's plagued mankind since the beginning. You can't know what someone intends to do.

    Unless and until he does something threatening with it, you can't know what is going to happen. Sure, you might say it causes alarm, and call 911 for another "man with a gun" call....

  18. #18
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    He saw a zombie and wanted to be prepared.
    This is the kind of logic that "warrants alarm." Not all zombies are bad, just as not all people with guns are bad. (sorry, I couldn't resist!!!)

  19. #19
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    amzbrady wrote:
    killchain wrote:
    Maybe it was flopping around and he was worried about the finish. I drive with any rifles I am taking to shoot on the passenger seat of my truck, with their chambers open and no magazines inserted of course.

    Had he chambered a shell or held it at the ready, THEN I would have been nervous.

    Had it been in the Tri-Cities, it might have been me :P

    My neighbors are used to seeing me humping the range bag outside with a rifle strapped to the top of it. Course, it's usually the Ruger 10/22 and admittedly my Ruger looks like a toy at first glance.
    I remember where I was grew up (farm country),I would always see a gun rack in the back winder of almost everytruck. There would be rifles and fishing poles in them. Nobody ever locked their trucks, most trucks after 5 could be found at the bars, and you never heard of a stolen gun, or someone getting shot. But, I also remember any rifle not in a rack was "always" in a case, or wrapped. I to this day, only owning a cheesy marlin 10/22 have it in a case. Now I wonder, why wouldnt he have it in a case to keep from damaging it, if he's going to let it ride around in his trunk?

    Kill chain I used your post as a quote cause that leads me to a question. Can you ride around with a rifle mounted like the police do, and can the rifle be loaded in your vehicle? I'm asking cause I saw you said your have chambers open and mag's removed.
    I have carried my rifles in between my bucket seats kinda like the police carry their shotguns or rifles once in a while. Most of the time though if I do have a rifle with me it's behind the seats. I have a two-seater truck so I need all the space I can get. :P

    But not loaded; that is state law. So regardless of where the long gun is it's unloaded.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •