• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

saw a man grab a shotgun out of his trunk in broad daylight, on the street

Tony Santiago

imported post

i seriously had to look twice to see if that's what he actually grabbed.

I was coming home from work today, and I was in traffic, stopped at a light on smith st, near central ave.

Anyway, I was in the left lane, and this guy in a toyota corolla was about 5 cars ahead of me in the right lane, and all of a sudden he gets out of his car, opens his trunk, grabs a shotgun, throws it in the backseat of his car, and then gets in. What the hell?!?!?!

I looked twice to be sure, and I am 100% sure it was a shotgun he grabbed. I have no idea why. He didn't do anything threatening with it, and he didn't stall or anything. He did all of this while being stopped at a light. There were a couple cars in front of him, and several behind him. I couldn't see the look on the driver's face that was behind him, but I can assure he was probably startled.

no idea why he did this, or why he felt the need to grab it at the time he did.

anyway, that brings me to a question.

considering he did this at the time and under the circumstances that he did, would the driver behind him be justified in hitting him or something? how is he suppose to know he's not some psychopath that's going to start shooting at people???

Tony Santiago

imported post

ak56 wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:
how is he suppose to know he's not some psychopath that's going to start shooting at people???
But then again, how would he know that he was?
well it's just a natural response when you see a man pulling out a shotgun from his trunk in the middle of the street. what are the reasons he would be doing that? i cant think of a single reason of why it couldnt have waited until he got to where he was going.

amzbrady

imported post

What if he was on the phone with someone who wanted to buy it and needed the serial numbers, or if he talking to a gun smith and couldnt describe something without looking at it?

Mainsail

imported post

Maybe he heard is clunking around in the truck when he stopped and just wanted to move it to the back seat where it wouldn't get banged around. Maybe he's forgotten it in the trunk for a few days and he wanted to ensure he brought it into the house this time.

amzbrady

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Maybe he heard is clunking around in the truck when he stopped and just wanted to move it to the back seat where it wouldn't get banged around. Maybe he's forgotten it in the trunk for a few days and he wanted to ensure he brought it into the house this time.
maybe he could hear it rubbing on the trunk lid cause there was no room left because of all the bodies...:what:

killchain

imported post

Maybe it was flopping around and he was worried about the finish. I drive with any rifles I am taking to shoot on the passenger seat of my truck, with their chambers open and no magazines inserted of course.

Had he chambered a shell or held it at the ready, THEN I would have been nervous.

Had it been in the Tri-Cities, it might have been me :p

My neighbors are used to seeing me humping the range bag outside with a rifle strapped to the top of it. Course, it's usually the Ruger 10/22 and admittedly my Ruger looks like a toy at first glance. :D

Norman

imported post

A bit strange. I wouldn't have freaked out, but I would have wondered his intentions for sure.

That he did this, in traffic, at a stoplight is my concern. Had he been parked along the street I wouldn't have given it as much thought.

amzbrady

imported post

killchain wrote:
Maybe it was flopping around and he was worried about the finish. I drive with any rifles I am taking to shoot on the passenger seat of my truck, with their chambers open and no magazines inserted of course.

Had he chambered a shell or held it at the ready, THEN I would have been nervous.

My neighbors are used to seeing me humping the range bag outside with a rifle strapped to the top of it. Course, it's usually the Ruger 10/22 and admittedly my Ruger looks like a toy at first glance. :D

I remember where I was grew up (farm country),I would always see a gun rack in the back winder of almost everytruck. There would be rifles and fishing poles in them. Nobody ever locked their trucks, most trucks after 5 could be found at the bars, and you never heard of a stolen gun, or someone getting shot. But, I also remember any rifle not in a rack was "always" in a case, or wrapped. I to this day, only owning a cheesy marlin 10/22 have it in a case. Now I wonder, why wouldnt he have it in a case to keep from damaging it, if he's going to let it ride around in his trunk?

Kill chain I used your post as a quote cause that leads me to a question. Can you ride around with a rifle mounted like the police do, and can the rifle be loaded in your vehicle? I'm asking cause I saw you said your have chambers open and mag's removed.

amzbrady

imported post

Thats another thing of the past, no one ever carried unloaded. If you ever ask an old kodger where he stored his ammo, he'd tell you, "In the gun where it belongs", and what about extras, "there here in my pocket, got the rest of em in the glove box". Kinda makes me laugh, I always remember seeing shotgun shells everywhere, rolling around on floorboards, in the truck bed, in tackle box's, on kitchen counters. It's like they were so cheap they werent worth picking up if you dropped them somewhere.Course no one carried for self defense or needed to, they just carried in case the freezer started getting empty or in case they got bored.

oneeyeross

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
well it's just a natural response when you see a man pulling out a shotgun from his trunk in the middle of the street. what are the reasons he would be doing that? i cant think of a single reason of why it couldnt have waited until he got to where he was going.
People say that about open carry...or concealed carry. What are the reasons for doing THAT. It's plagued mankind since the beginning. You can't know what someone intends to do.

Unless and until he does something threatening with it, you can't know what is going to happen. Sure, you might say it causes alarm, and call 911 for another "man with a gun" call....

killchain

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
killchain wrote:

I remember where I was grew up (farm country),I would always see a gun rack in the back winder of almost everytruck. There would be rifles and fishing poles in them. Nobody ever locked their trucks, most trucks after 5 could be found at the bars, and you never heard of a stolen gun, or someone getting shot. But, I also remember any rifle not in a rack was "always" in a case, or wrapped. I to this day, only owning a cheesy marlin 10/22 have it in a case. Now I wonder, why wouldnt he have it in a case to keep from damaging it, if he's going to let it ride around in his trunk?

Kill chain I used your post as a quote cause that leads me to a question. Can you ride around with a rifle mounted like the police do, and can the rifle be loaded in your vehicle? I'm asking cause I saw you said your have chambers open and mag's removed.
I have carried my rifles in between my bucket seats kinda like the police carry their shotguns or rifles once in a while. Most of the time though if I do have a rifle with me it's behind the seats. I have a two-seater truck so I need all the space I can get. :p

But not loaded; that is state law. So regardless of where the long gun is it's unloaded.