• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

foia

Michigander

imported post

It's pretty much the same regardless of what the reason for the FOIA is. Especially in terms of FOIAing records of police interacting with you.

TheSzerdi

imported post

March X, 20XX

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL
RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

FOIA COORDINATOR
ANYWHERE POLICE DEPARTMENT
1300 BLANK ST
POLICE HEADQUARTERS
ANYWHERE, MI 48484

RE: FOIA Request

Dear FOIA Coordinator:

On February X, 20XX at approximately 00:00 PM, Anywhere Police Department Officers XXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXX engaged in the detention and investigation of a man with a pistol on the sidewalk at Some Street between That St and Another St in the City of Anywhere. As a result of Officers XXXXXX and XXXXX’s investigation, Officer XXXXXX issued citations for firearm violations to You Yourself.

Pursuant to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, MCL §15.231, I am requesting copies of documents relating to the aforementioned incident including:

Any and all recordings of radio communications related in any way to the dispatch, response, or request for assistance by the officers involved with the incident;

Any and all video recordings of the incident, including patrol car video;

Any and all documents that identify the officers dispatched to the scene as a result of the incident, including the police report; roll call rosters; vehicle logs; and, audio recordings;

Any and all emails, memos, letters and/or other correspondence between employees of the Anywhere Police Department and any other person regarding the incident; and,

Any and all property booking notes, cards, papers recording the property seized by Officer XXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXXX associated with the incident.

Should the cost for researching, compiling and copying the requested information exceed $30.00, please inform me of the anticipated cost, and provide me with a time and place for a physical inspection of the requested information before researching, compiling or copying the requested information.

Please respond to this request by replying to the following address:

You Yourself
123 Anystreet
Whatever City, MI 48484
313-555-5555

I appreciate your anticipated cooperation with this request. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at the number above.

Sincerely,

You Yourself

TheSzerdi

imported post

Aye, Dean Greenblatt wrote that one for me. Totally forgot to credit him as I was posting in a hurry at the time. Said he didn't mind if I posted it generic fill-in-the-blank format on here. Hope it's helpful!

mikestilly

imported post

It needs to be told on this FOIA thread. It is very important to view the FOIA footage for yourself prior to paying for anything. I'd also specify RAW materials unedited. Remember you could end up paying quite a bit for footage of the street for 40minutes with edited audio with nothing worth a damn on it. You want to know whats out there before you pay for it.

eastmeyers

fozzy71

Because this silly forum won't let you delete your own posts. I assume he posted, wanted to delete it, but was unable to do so. You cant post 0 characters AND you can't delete your post, even if just 1 minute after posting.

Last edited:

fozzy71

Great, now you can delete posts, but you still have to look at this ugly friggin white skin for the forum. :cuss:

Any chance they added some skin options while I was gone too?

stainless1911

Banned
why do you waste every bodies time and effort and band widt
h??

Because this silly forum won't let you delete your own posts. I assume he posted, wanted to delete it, but was unable to do so. You cant post 0 characters AND you can't delete your post, even if just 1 minute after posting.

I know how to delete a post. The old forum had a button to hit if you wanted to watch a thread without posting a comment. This one does not, so if you want to watch a thread like this one without having anything at the time productive to add to the discussion, then a single (.) will do.