• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Ruger dude got a Glock

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Yes, I picked up a Glock yesterday, model 21, .45acp (& a couple boxes of Golden Sabres to feed it!). Let the snickering commence. Next, I ordered a LH Fobus paddle holster online. Not going to start carying this one until after I shoot50-100 roundsat the range to get a feel for it, so the SR9 is still riding with me today.

wylde007

imported post

Glocks rule. Not one misfire or bad feed (even with the s**ttiest ammo I could lay my hands on) in several thousand rounds.

I have probably sold between ten and fifteen Glocks simply by taking friends to the range and letting them shoot mine.

Lawmaker

imported post

Mine is great also. Probably your best choice for a carry firearm. Never jams, never misfeeds, never never never. Had mine for about 10 years. No issues at all. I am about to get a .45 pistol. And it is between a Glock and a 1911. I am seriously leaning towards a Glock. 1911's just sound like target pistols.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have always wanted a 1911, but I have never subscribed to that "If you want to live, you need to by this 1911 or that 1911." I don't buy into that stuff and I've had people try to talk me down and I have been at the range when someone is pushing their favorite weapon onother people and making it out like it was handed down from God or as if it were forged in the fires of Mount Mordor... poppycock

wylde007

imported post

Speaking as someone who owns one of each - a Glock and a Colt 1911 - the Glock is more reliable by far.

The 1911 is a tack driver at 15m. The Glock is a little sloppy because of trigger weight.

The proper tool for the proper job. I like to call my 1911 my "dress" gun because it has nice grips and a blued finish. I can wear my Glock in the rain or to the beach (no, not to go swimming :D ) and not worry about it getting fouled.

Also, the Glock requires no storage maintenance. If you carry a 1911 in condition 1, when you take the weapon off you have to either de-cock or pull the magazine and cycle out the round in the pipe. Well you don't have to, but that's what I do. I prefer cycling the action, since I have experienced an AD when the hammer slipped when I went to de-cock. Fortunately nobody was hurt, but that's why you always point the gun down and away when you do stuff like that.

Right out of the box a Glock is better for nighttime home defense IMO because of the sight options available.

Lawmaker

imported post

I have always wanted one also. I have held many but never owned. I just cant trust one when it counts. So in my mind it will be a "just cause" target gun when I have money to blow on one. Personally I am going to get a G36. Saw one at a local dealer, held it and it will be nice to CC.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
imported post

There aint a thing wrong with a rock Island 1911 if you doing want to spend big bucks,Springfield also has a nice 1911 for about 510$

tekshogun wrote:
I have always wanted a 1911, but I have never subscribed to that "If you want to live, you need to by this 1911 or that 1911." I don't buy into that stuff and I've had people try to talk me down and I have been at the range when someone is pushing their favorite weapon onother people and making it out like it was handed down from God or as if it were forged in the fires of Mount Mordor... poppycock

a-k-woman

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Yes, I picked up a Glock yesterday, model 21, .45acp (& a couple boxes of Golden Sabres to feed it!). Let the snickering commence. Next, I ordered a LH Fobus paddle holster online. Not going to start carying this one until after I shoot50-100 roundsat the range to get a feel for it, so the SR9 is still riding with me today.
Mom bought a Glock for me as a birthday gift. I love it. Everyone should have one, LOL.

wylde007

imported post

a-k-woman wrote:
Mom bought a Glock for me as a birthday gift. I love it. Everyone should have one, LOL.
Do you want something that looks pretty or something that will kill whatever you point it at, every time?

Glock.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Preble wrote:
There aint a thing wrong with a rock Island 1911 if you doing want to spend big bucks,Springfield also has a nice 1911 for about 510$

tekshogun wrote:

Agreed, those have been the ones that I have been looking at. As a matter of fact, the frames on the Rock Island Armory guns (Armscor) are used by STI and Charles Daley (was used i guess) for their guns which I have been known to call Pageant Contestants.

I almost bought a RIA 1911 at the last gun show here priced at 389.95 and I have certainly eyed the Springfield GI model. I prefer minimalist semi-autos anyway.

elixin77

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
a-k-woman wrote:
Do you want something that looks pretty or something that will kill whatever you point it at, every time?

Glock.
ah, But why stop there? Why not have a gun that looks pretty and kills whatever you point it at?

1911 baby! B-e-a-utiful gun, and I've never had an issue with mine yet.

Ruger

imported post

I was showing the Glock to my wife last night... She had never seen a .45 ACP cartridge before. The look on her face when I showed her one of my .45 Golden Sabres next to a 9mm Hornady Critical Defense cartridge (from my SR9) was priceless. She said "OMG, that is scary..." :shock:

I figure all the .45 guys here will get a kick out of that.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ruger wrote:
I was showing the Glock to my wife last night... She had never seen a .45 ACP cartridge before.  The look on her face when I showed her one of my .45 Golden Sabres next to a 9mm Hornady Critical Defense cartridge (from my SR9) was priceless.  She said "OMG, that is scary..." :shock:

I figure all the .45 guys here will get a kick out of that.

You'll have to forgive me, but I was in the gutter reading that entire post. I'm weird like that. :lol:

Glad your wife like's your .45 caliber and was utterly impressed by it...

Bebog

imported post

Ruger,

Being the owner of a Ruger P345 myself, I was just wondering what factors swayed you toward the Glock in your decision making process? My P345 is pleasant to shoot and has never let me down, but that being said I do not own a Glock to compare it too either. Now that you have both, what is your take?

Ruger

imported post

Bebog wrote:
Ruger,

Being the owner of a Ruger P345 myself, I was just wondering what factors swayed you toward the Glock in your decision making process? My P345 is pleasant to shoot and has never let me down, but that being said I do not own a Glock to compare it too either. Now that you have both, what is your take?
I can't compare it to the P345, as I've never shot one before. My other firearms are a Ruger SR9 (9mm) & a LCR (.38sp).

As far as the decision to pick up a Glock rather than another Ruger... In acquiring a .45 I wanted a full-size pistol with a rather high capacity. I'm used to carrying 17+1 in my SR9, and I didn't want to go down to 8+1 or 9+1 which is so typical in many .45's (including the P345). The Glock 21 is 13+1, and the only other .45 I've found locally that has the same capacity is a Springfield XD45. My dad has a XD9-SC which he loves, and I have nothing against Springfield, but I just wanted to try a Glock. I guess there was a bit of curiosity there, given the "Glock or nothing" attitude of many (but not all) Glock owners. So between the Glock & the Springfield I figured I'd try the Glock.

The Glock 21 shoots like a dream. Here's a pic of the results of my first magazine through the gun - distance was about 7 yards:

26445_378528518679_552073679_3568801_702988_n.jpg

Having never fired this gun before, and having never fired a .45 before, I was quite happy with the results. I'm no "expert" shot, but I think I can hit my target adequately. Hopefully I will never have to find out how I do when bullets are flying at me . Anyway, after running a couple mags through the Glock yesterday, I feel comfortable enough with it that today I am carrying it for the first time. Loaded with 185gr Golden Sabres :)

Although I love my Glock, I'm by no means getting rid of my SR9 nor am I joining the cult of Glock. I love both handguns, and I trust the products of both companies. The SR9 will be my primary CC piece (since I have a nice Minotaur holster for SOB carry) I don't know that Comp-Tac makes a Minotaur for the Glock 21, and even if they do, I don't know that I want to drop another $80 for one right now.

The only thing I don't like about the Glock is that the takedown is a little tricky compared to the SR9, but I'll get used to it quickly I'm sure.

KyleKatern

imported post

I would have to shell out for a Robar or similar bob and rework job on a Glock to have it point natural for me, so I do not own them right now.

My SW-99 points like part of my arm. So does the Sig 226, the XD, the XD subcompact, the Ruger 22/45 target models, even the KelTecs. Its simple for me, if I pick it up and it points good, I will try shooting one. I point shoot as much as use sites when doing defensive drills anyway.