• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spammer alert - again

okboomer

imported post

Hey folks, I belong to another gun forum that is being hit really hard with spammer bots lately.

It just ramped up a notch this week and I thought I would post a notice here and let you know what I have found out.

This message was sent through the forum messaging to all the members and also included a tagline that indicated he was part of the Forum Administration and included the bbs administration info particular to that forum.
Spam sending from your computer was detected.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately:

If you do not pass this test we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).
Well, I run a pretty tight ship here in my home network and I could not believe that my computers or my account had been virused, trojaned or spywared to this level without my anti software picking up anything. So, I ran all my diagnostic programs and called AT&T which is my ISP. They checked my account activity and confirmed that no spam was being sent from any of my accounts.

Their conclusion was that any spam was being sent under a spoofed email and they wanted the originating ISP for the spam for their abuse and legal departments.

They were also interested in my membership in a forum that was experiencing DOS attacks and want me to report the next attack.

Evidently, the US is experiencing a major increase in spam attacks at this time and the backbone (Level II) and hubs (Level I) systems are trying to identify and plug the vulnerable spots that are being used to sneak this stuff past the guards that are already in place.

Anyway, some of the folks in some Yahoo Groups have also reported that this email has even made it's way to their personal email accounts, so if you get something like it, don't panic, but report it to your ISP spam abuse department.

If you want to report it to AT&T rather than a local ISP, forward the email toscam@abuse-att(dot)netand they will pursue this.

cheers - okboomer

M

McX

imported post

AVG free and Comodo, with Privacy Guardian as the janitor. i get machines that call me at the shop. life in the 21st century.

TFred

imported post

I suspect the web address has malicious intent... I would suggest you go back and edit it out of your original post... (at least enough so that it won't work.)

Wouldn't want anyone to even accidentally click on it...

TFred

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

TFred wrote:
I suspect the web address has malicious intent... I would suggest you go back and edit it out of your original post... (at least enough so that it won't work.)

TFred
Now TFred.....control yourself. Just because a link is there doesn't mean you HAVE TO click on it. How many times do I have to tell you that.....:D

TFred

imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
Now TFred.....control yourself. Just because a link is there doesn't mean you HAVE TO click on it. How many times do I have to tell you that.....:D
Hmm.... I must be an "anti-spammer"... I'm just SURE that if there is a malicious link there, then someone's just going to pull it out of its holst... I mean CLICK on it uncontrollably!!!

:D

TFred

okboomer

imported post

Now Doug, I realize that you, as a dinosaur older than dirt, might not have understood the meaning of all that I wrote, so here it is in baby steps:

The message came through the forum messaging ... this means that the message did not leave the forum bbs.

It was claiming that my personal account was spamming the forum.

I took the appropriate steps beginning with diagnosing my systems, then contacting my ISP to examine my account activity in their logs.

Then, in case anyone else wanted to duplicate my process, I did provide some information on what types of varmints (malware) I was looking for.

Anyway, if you don't think it is an issue for your attention, then more power to you. Some might find it to be helpful or informative.