As is codified under Arkansas Code 1987 it is a Crime to either:
1. Possess a Handgun IF YOU INTEND to employ it Criminally, per 5-73-102.
2. Possess a Handgun IF YOU ARE ON SCHOOL PROPERTY, provided IF THE PROPERTY IS A SCHOOL K-12 IT IS ILLEGAL,per 5-73-119(b)(1)
3. But IF THE PROPERTY IS A HIGHER INSTITUION OF LEARNING, then, IT IS LEGAL, as long as there is NO INTENT, per 5-73-119(c)(1).
4. Openly Carrying a Handgun in Arkansas would at first appear Illegal,HOWEVER per 5-73-120, Open Carry is Legal IF there is NO INTENT.
This Code reads:
5-73-120. Carrying a weapon.
(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun,
knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise
readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon
against a person.
Therefore, Case and Point: NO INTENT TO USE THE HANDGUN MEANS NO CRIME HAS OCCURED!
Furthermore, you CAN OPEN CARRY anywhere, apparently, in Arkansas, except the two places listed above, except that:
5. 5-73-122 of Arkansas Code says LOADED CARRY IN ANY PUBLIC BUILDING OR FACILITY OR STATE CAPITOL GROUNDS IS ILLEGAL, therefore, IF THE HANDGUN IS CARRIED, CARRY IT WITHOUT INTENT AND MAKE SURE THAT IT IS UNLOADED WHILE THERE.
6. Loaded or Unloaded Carry in TheSTATE CAPITOL BUILDING ITSELF, STATE JUSTICE BUILDING, OR COURTHOUSE/ROOM IS ILLEGAL, PERIOD. In this instance it would not matter if thereis intent or not. Arkansas Codes: 5-73-122(a)(2) AND 5-73-122(a)(2) and (b)(1), of the same Code.
7. UNFORTUNATELY, carrying any Handgun, even without intent and even Unloaded, would still be a Crime in ANY PLACE THAT SELLS ALCOHOL, per 5-73-120(d)(1). These places could include: Wal-Mart, Gas Stations, etc.
These are just my thoughts...,