• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reno Open Carry Trash Clean-up for April

Thateldoo

imported post

Please join Reno Open Carry Trash Pick-up, Saturday, April 17th, noon

Location for April's event is Teglia's Paradise Park, located at Oddie and El Rancho, north east Reno

Google map will be posted soon

Thateldoo

imported post

Good Google map...well done!

Please note: There is an elementary school at the south west corner of the park, across a small street. This area is off-limits for Open Carry. We should probablymeet in the main parking lot off El Rancho...the east side of the park.

Thateldoo

imported post

Yes, just show up with your guns holstered and visible.

I'll be there early and we'll meet with a City of Reno Parks and Recreation employee that will provide trash bags...

NumberCruncher

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
As long as we aren't on school property it doesn't matter where we are.
I believe this park is too close to the school and our activity would be in violation of the Gun Free School Zone Act...prohibiting gun possession within 1000 feet of school property. I am aware of the exception to this act re: permit holders (CCW), but OCing may be another story.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The entire park is within 1000 feet of a school, but I don't believe it will be a problem.

The federal law is unconstitutional. Sure, Congress modified it after United States vs. Lopez to make a claim that it related to commerce but the law itself I believe would be found unconstitutional for the exact same reasons as the original one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Lopez

Further, it is possible that a prosecutor could argue that a concealed firearm permit is not a license to carry a firearm in school zone. A concealed firearm permit is not even a permit to carry a firearm since we can carry without one. It is only a license to conceal a firearm.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

There are very few places in an urban area that are more than 1000 feet from a school. Hypothetically, one could be guilty of a felony for violation. I think 99% of all gun owners would be guilty.

Thateldoo

imported post

I will contact Craig Skau, Reno City Attorney on Monday and ask about this situation.

I'm not in the know on just where a school's "boundary" starts...or I would take my surveyors wheel over there and measure out 1000 feet.

I'll post Monday on what I find out...

NumberCruncher

imported post

18 USC § 921 Definitions
(a) As used in this chapter—
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or
private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of
a public, parochial or private school.
(26) The term “school” means a school which provides
elementary or secondary education, as determined
under State law.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

This is going to be a problem basically anywhere we choose to do it in a city.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reno,_Nevada#Public_schools

Public schools
Public education is provided by the Washoe County School District.
Reno has ten public high schools: Damonte Ranch, Galena, Hug, McQueen, North Valleys, Regional Technical Institute (RTI), Reno, Truckee Meadows Community College High School,[14] Washoe, and Wooster.
There are also three public high schools in neighboring Sparks, attended by many students who live in Reno: Reed, Spanish Springs, and Sparks High School.
Reno-Sparks has 13 middle schools: Billinghurst, Clayton, Cold Springs, DePoali, Dilworth, Mendive, O'Brien, Pine, Shaw (Spanish Springs),Sparks, Swope, Trainer, Vaughn.
Reno-Sparks has 64 elementary schools: Allen, Anderson, Beasley, Jesse Beck, Bennett, Booth, Brown, Cannan, Caughlin Ranch, Corbett, Desert Heights, Diedrichsen, Dodson, Donner Springs, Double Diamond, Drake, Duncan, Dunn, Elmcrest, Gomes, Grace Warner, Greenbrae, Hidden Valley, Huffaker, Hunsberger, Hunter Lake, Jessie Hall, Johnson, Juniper, Lemmon Valley, Elizabeth Lenz, Lincoln Park, Echo Loder, Mathews, Maxwell, Melton, Mitchell, Moss, Mount Rose, Natchez, Palmer, Peavine, Picollo Special Education School, Pleasant Valley, Risley, Roy Gomm, Sepulveda, Sierra Vista, Silver Lake, Alice Smith, Kate Smith, Smithridge, Spanish Springs, Stead, Sun Valley, Taylor, Towles, Van Gorder, Verdi [pronounced VUR-die], Veterans Memorial, Warner, Westergard, Whitehead and Sarah Winnemucca. (some schools included on this list are in Sparks)
[edit]Public charter schools
Reno has many charter schools, which include: Academy for Career Education, serving grades 10-12, opened 2002.[15] Bailey Charter Elementary School, serving grades K-6, opened 2001.[16] Coral Academy of Science, serving grades K-12, opened 2000.[17] Davidson Academy, serving grades 9-12, opened 2006.[18] High Desert Montessori School, serving grades PreK-7, opened 2002. I Can Do Anything Charter School, serving grades 9-12, opened 2000.[19] Rainshadow Community Charter High School, serving grades 9-12, opened 2003.[20] Sierra Nevada Academy Charter School, serving grades PreK-8, opened 1999. TEAM A (Together Everyone Achieves More Academy), serving grades 9-12, opened 2004.[21]
[edit]Private schools
Reno has a few private elementary schools such as Legacy Christian School, Excel Christian School, and Lamplight Christian School[22] as well as private high schools, the largest of which are Bishop Manogue High School[23] and Sage Ridge School (SRS).[24]

There are 105 schools just in that list alone, not counting possibly other entities that may meet the definition of a public or private school under law that may not have made the list.

Assuming each school was a point, and did not have any area of school grounds each school would create a circle that had a diameter of 2000 feet. That is 37.88% of a mile wide.

Thateldoo

imported post

Ahhhh...then we might consider another venue for April 17th. I'll contact the City of Reno Parks and Recreation and see where else they may ask us to provide our services.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why all the hassle? As Felid pointed out, probably 99% of all gun owners are guilty of this unconstitutional and unenforceable law. If it's an enforceable law, I'm guilty every day, since an elementary school is close to my home. And as I pointed out in another thread, everyone who takes a loaded gun to the new Clark County Shooting Park is guilty since the only road to the place passes right in front of a large high school.

Not something you need to worry about in Nevada.

jfrey123

imported post

BUMP

I assume Thateldoo is working with Reno P&R on this. We'll change the location if needed, but for now it's on.

I think I'm going to call a local AM radio station a week before this occurs, I'd like to attract a few new members who might not know about the website. I'm sure he'll take the call, since he interviewed the founder of OC.org a few weeks ago. I'll post again before I call if you guys are interested.

Thateldoo

imported post

Sorry for not posting a few days ago. I did talk with the City of Reno Parks and Recreation. I explained our thoughts on the idea of a school being adjacent to Paradise Park...and that we are law abiding citizens.

There is another location that they would like us to have our April event at if we feel that Paradise Park is inappropriate.

We still have 3 weeks before the scheduled event...give me another day and I'll do more research on the 1,000 ft. deal. That just seems outrageous to me.

In the mean time, the other location is in Stead, Stead Blvd at Norton Dr. Dorothy McAlinden/Mayors Park.

Again, give me a day, or until Monday afternoon to make some calls and research the "1,000 ft from a school" law......

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Some links with some information on the school zone issue.

Here is a thread with some discussion and a poll about the issue:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/40731-1.html

Here is a document about the law that might be worth reading:
http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.pl?50+Duke+L.+J.+637+pdf

Here is a wikipedia article about the original act:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act
And the case U.S. vs. Lopez:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Lopez

Link to text of law:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html#q

Link to definitions used in law:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/s...scode18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html#a_25